Dome Renovation | Page 39 | Syracusefan.com

Dome Renovation

They are going to put in another huge building down there by their Diesel plant where they make the filters. Ceramic ones and they do take some serious skill to make them.

Hmmm...Corning makes the Dome top perhaps? A nice glass ceiling done correctly could be interesting.

Last edited:
gmoney44 said:
Lockheed Martin is also surging in Owego. They are at 2600 high paying jobs and climbing do to the acquisition of Sikorsky.

There won't be any new jobs in Owego due to the Sikorsky acquisition.

SmilinBob said:
Hmmm...Corning makes the Dome top perhaps? A nice glass ceiling done correctly could be interesting.

I know I'm just naive, but every time I think of a glass roof, I envision the headline...

44,273 ORANGE FANS DIE AT FOOTBALL GAME LIKE ANTS UNDER A MAGNIFYING GLASS

I know I'm just naive, but every time I think of a glass roof, I envision the headline...

44,273 ORANGE FANS DIE AT FOOTBALL GAME LIKE ANTS UNDER A MAGNIFYING GLASS

Not enough sun here for that to happen :D

I think a headline of "...28,472 fans die from collapsing Dome roof from snow overload" is far more likely.

Free Article

October 28, 2015

Major Dome Renovations Underway?
Scott Brown

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

A few weeks ago . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . received information pertaining to the options that Syracuse University was weighing when it came to what the venue for future events would be. The source who indicated that Syracuse was considering a slew of changes, asked that the information be kept until after the board considered the options in November. However, with Syracuse.com reporting on the issue and leaking some of the information, it seems as if now is as good a time as ever to fill our members in on some privy inside information.

According to the source, the university is highly considering keeping the main sports arena on campus and remodeling and renovating the Carrier Dome. From what we gather, the bidding process for the project is underway as we speak and could range in the upper hundred million dollar range with a projection between $400 and $500 million dollars. Syracuse, which has been considering moving the venue to a downtown location, seems to have cooled on that idea and is now looking towards retaining an on campus dome.

From what we have heard, the university is looking to make the Carrier Dome more modern and aesthetically pleasing from the outside, and one of the most modern facilities on the inside. Below is a beginners list of what could possibly be on the table when the board reviews the options in November.

• Three of the sides of the Dome would be expanded:

On the east side, Archbold Gymnasium would become attached to the current structure and renovated to include new basketball courts and other sports features as well as a "museum" to honor the rich tradition and history of Syracuse University Athletics.

To the north, the Dome would eliminate Crouse Dr. and would expand into the Faulk College of Sport and Human Dynamics where new additions are to be made.

To the west, the Dome will push out to Irving Ave where a 6 to 8 story hotel and parking garage would be attached to the dome, much like the Rogers Center in Toronto. It is unknown if the rooms will overlook the field or not.
  • The south side of the dome will become larger as well to keep the symmetry, but also to expand the concourse and allow for the renovation of new concession stands (which is a point of emphasis with the expansion of the three other sides as well). This will not affect SUNY ESF in any way.
  • The locker rooms are to be expanded, renovated, and updated.
  • The roof would look less like a big balloon and more like a solid, metal structure. Again, modeled perhaps after Lucas Oil Stadium, windows around the outside of the roof will allow natural sunlight to enter the stadium. The idea of having the roof retract is still on the table but to a much smaller scale.
  • Luxury boxes are to be renovated and more added.
  • Seating is to be changed, reconfigured, and more added.
  • The stadium would have both a football field and a basketball court permanently built. The basketball court would be "stored away" during football games but moved mechanically to lie over the football field when needed. The entire process would be automated including the moving of the seating for basketball games.
  • Whether or not the new Carrier Dome will be equipped with air conditioning is not known at this time.

The process would begin as soon as the basketball season ended and would most likely continue beyond the start of the 2016 football season creating numerous problems. One of the biggest is what Syracuse will do for their home games? Bussing the team to Ralph Wilson stadium in Buffalo seems to make the most sense if the scheduling can match. MetLife Stadium shouldn't be off the table for consideration and it would seem as if the University of Buffalo's Stadium is too small (at 29,000 capacity). There will certainly be many avenues explored to make the situation the best that it can be. Whatever the decision, the athletic department is sure to meet backlash from the fans. In the long run, the changes that are on the table are exactly what the aging concrete structure needs to make Syracuse a more inviting venue for recruits, players, and fans from all over.
If you get the Dome renovated this way, you will see immediate results.

rrlbees said:
There won't be any new jobs in Owego due to the Sikorsky acquisition.

There will be future jobs at Owego as a direct result of The Sikorsky buy.

gmoney44 said:
There will be future jobs at Owego as a direct result of The Sikorsky buy.

How so? They'll be separate businesses.

so are we on the dead period for this announcement too?
Best guess would be around January 20th. That's the approximate date of Cuomo's State of the State. Unlike prior years, I've read that the state budget will be released the same day as the State of the State.

rrlbees said:
How so? They'll be separate businesses.

They're not separate. I'm not going to get into it on a sports forum but the growth will continue at LM in Owego and a good percentage of this will be a direct result of this acquisition.

They're not separate. I'm not going to get into it on a sports forum but the growth will continue at LM in Owego and a good percentage of this will be a direct result of this acquisition.
Might be splitting hairs here... Both are aligned under MST.

I am a Corning native...it is a great town. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of that money used to demo/refurbish the old Corning Hospital.

Corning has basically been rebuilt past 5-6 years. Elementary schools are next, I guess. They definitely need to do something with the old hospital though

JSOrange97 said:
Might be splitting hairs here... Both are aligned under MST.

Yep. Both MST but separate Lines of Business.

If you get the Dome renovated this way, you will see immediate results.
I would hope so.

Has anyone in the ACC ever made an investment in athletics this large?

NC State's basketball arena cost $158 million.
Virginia's basketball arena cost $131 million.
Louisville's basketball arena cost $238 million.
Heinz Field cost $357 million.
The new basketball arena in Miami cost $213 million.
UNC expanded their football stadium at a cost of about $70 million.
Louisville expanded their stadium at a cost of about $72 million. They just announced another expansion that is expected to cost about $55 million.

In other areas, UConn's low budget little stadium cost $91 million to build.
When Rutgers expanded their stadium, it cost $102 million.
When Maryland expanded their stadium, it cost about $50 million.

Acc has a lot of erector set stadiums. I never made it to Rutgers before the remodel but was there a few times after. Didn't think it was a thing special. The huge screen in the endzone is cool

Corning has basically been rebuilt past 5-6 years. Elementary schools are next, I guess. They definitely need to do something with the old hospital though

I was in Corning this past weekend and talked with a friend who works for Purcell...she stated that they had acquired the rights to reno the old hospital into upscale apartments. She wasn't sure if there was going to be retail. Purcell is the same company who did all the work at the old CFA building. They did a fantastic job on that project and I expect they will on the hospital site.

Has anyone in the ACC ever made an investment in athletics this large?

NC State's basketball arena cost $158 million.
Heinz Field cost $357 million.

Louisville's basketball arena cost $238 million.
These shouldn't really count, should they?

NC State uses an NHL facility. Pitt uses an NFL facility. Louisville is the primary tenant of a facility owned and operated by others. None of these are on-campus facilities.

On-campus/adjacent-to-campus facilities > away-from-campus facilities.

These shouldn't really count, should they?

NC State uses an NHL facility. Pitt uses an NFL facility. Louisville is the primary tenant of a facility owned and operated by others. None of these are on-campus facilities.

On-campus/adjacent-to-campus facilities > away-from-campus facilities.
Just speaks even more towards how extraordinary this investment would be (even if a significant part of it is paid for by others).

Meanwhile the wait continues...
IMHO (I have no inside knowledge)
I think the school wants to make sure the scope of disruption to the school and teams if they go the renovation route. Experts can have an agenda and lead the school down a path of an overly aggressive timeline and then they are forced to make last minute venue changes when the schedule is behind.

Last edited:

I know they're talking about NFL stadiums here, but this video lends credence to the inner harbor argument. Whatever we do, I'd like it to be "cool and unique" like the Dome was when erected. A shiny new Dome to go along with the fastest game we've ever seen on turf. "That's going to be our reality. That's going to be Syracuse Football."

I know they're talking about NFL stadiums here, but this video lends credence to the inner harbor argument. Whatever we do, I'd like it to be "cool and unique" like the Dome was when erected. A shiny new Dome to go along with the fastest game we've ever seen on turf. "That's going to be our reality. That's going to be Syracuse Football."

With Congel dismantling the oil tanks and decontaminating the property and COR clearing and grading the construction site all we need now is a developer to get in there and start building.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom