Duke Gameday... | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Duke Gameday...

Caden kol i hope is only playing cause fig got hurt before season. Cause he is just horrible at staying with his guy. He’s team captain and makes the simplest mistakes that captain should not make. The defense has to improve a lot next year if want to get back to playoffs n chip run. Grant he’s played great most of year but mark only had like 2-3 saves second half yes two were huge as we made that short comeback but also defense didn’t help a lot either. We have some young good poles really like to see them on field next year so olexo can get back to lsm as we have absolutely no transition at all.

O sloppy late is because the O is always faced with a gargantuan task late. There’s a reason it happens when it does. Things have to be rushed when you have to get from 14 to 18 goals in 3 mins. Fogo play in the second gave us a shot. D just not at all at the level it needs to be at. Better fogo next year helps. Stevens helps. Mark back would be huge.

Petro is a factor in why they do as bad as they do. Some of these guys are not that young and still look confused. He gets one more year to prove himself. Then we have to be willing to move on if it’s more of the same. Can’t look like this again next season. Can’t give up 15 through 3 quarters with only a goalies heroics keeping it from an embarrassment.

That was a great way to finish up the season IMO. We were very competitive in that game and I thought the offense had its best game all year. Spallina had his best game against an elite team. Leo, Rhoa, Dwan are all looking stronger. But for a couple of miscues, our offense was fun to watch and dominant.

Mark was ok but not great with only 10 saves. Mark seemed to be moving too early on some shots.

With more face-off wins in 1st half, we could have won the game. Some dumb penalties but that is youth.

Does anyone know what petros scheme or system is? What is he actually trying to do? What is his reasoning for thinking it’s this great system that he can’t make any simple changes?

Have beck,dwan,chuck(guess redshirted as didn’t touch field all year) fig all young and good recruits. Let’s see what these guys can do. Starting d at close next year should be fig,dwan, maby clary or beck or chuck depending how they look at practice. Kol should not be close d. Lsm should be olexo cacameo and sadeger. Also should have truillo or w/e his name more time at dmid. Think it’s mixture of coaches and players. Whatever reason is something needs to change. Got to go hard in porter for some top players a dmid maby fogo and a groundball machine if one out there.

Still got Rice, I would say he was number 2 behind Aviles this year.
yes forgot bout carter rice for some reason. Blaming it on defeat that had brain fart. Yes tru n kelly would of like see get some time this year also. I always feel the deeper you are the better ur chances. Then can play dudes without beating one group up or getting tired.

Also someone mention before petro does not like his guys throwing checks or bringing ball up if that truely is case then i agree he may need to move on. This is the era when he played it has change in many ways. Have to be able to take ball away from guys and push it in transition. Can not just have your d sit back let other team dictate pace or do what they want. We have to be the aggressor n force them into what we want and shots that our goalie wants to see. Also at times on D seems like no one talks or everyone is talking. Someone needs to take charge and tell guys who to grab what to do. Leave way to many guys open which lack of communication seems at times. Truely hate have to wait now full year till season starts back up as this is my nfl. Last but not leases Let’s go cuse woman bring home title to least be happy bout one time making it((For now hopefully).

That was a great way to finish up the season IMO. We were very competitive in that game and I thought the offense had its best game all year. Spallina had his best game against an elite team. Leo, Rhoa, Dwan are all looking stronger. But for a couple of miscues, our offense was fun to watch and dominant.

Mark was ok but not great with only 10 saves. Mark seemed to be moving too early on some shots.

With more face-off wins in 1st half, we could have won the game. Some dumb penalties but that is youth.
The O did really well today. Spallina had a couple of goals dodging the pole if my memory serves correctly. Leo's dodging ability is something that "Cuse can exploit more in the future. Rhoa will be a problem for defenses moving forward. He will get stronger which will allow him to better handle the physical play of the ACC. So many positives to list for this young team. Unfortunately the season is over, but the future is extremely bright.

Kyle says we'll be Preseason Top 10 next year.

I'll have what he's having.

He’s not wrong if the rumored transfers are coming in. This team returns a ton of firepower on offense. They will be very good. Defense is obviously a question mark but they get Figuerias back. I’m very high on next years team despite the sour finish to this season.

Have beck,dwan,chuck(guess redshirted as didn’t touch field all year) fig all young and good recruits. Let’s see what these guys can do. Starting d at close next year should be fig,dwan, maby clary or beck or chuck depending how they look at practice. Kol should not be close d. Lsm should be olexo cacameo and sadeger. Also should have truillo or w/e his name more time at dmid. Think it’s mixture of coaches and players. Whatever reason is something needs to change. Got to go hard in porter for some top players a dmid maby fogo and a groundball machine if one out there.

A complaint from Hopkins fans over the years was that Petro was too loyal to under performing older players. A little worried that will happen with Kol and Clary. But he did replace Clary with Dwan late in the game so hopefully that is a sign he will replace under performing players. Definitely can’t blame youth or scheme unfamiliarity next year with so many returning players.

Kyle says we'll be Preseason Top 10 next year.

I'll have what he's having.
I mean, if Gait/March/Petro can snag a couple pieces in the portal and we don't lose key guys then I could see it.

I feel the offense is set, maybe you look for one or two guys that are dodging threats but not much to be unhappy about.

Hopefully the face offs will be much better next year between the rumored transfers and incoming freshman. Wing play could be better but I feel that's more on the coaches and their decisions than on the players.

I think it comes down to what happens for the defense. Personally I don't think the talent is as bad as some like to believe. There are a couple guys who just don't seem to be up to competing with the upper tier of talent but I feel like most of the pieces for a competent defense are there. I think Petro's scheme hurts more than works in this era of lacrosse. I don't think he's here after next year though. Either the defense gels next year, he looks like a genius, and takes a head coaching job somewhere or we get another year of a confused, discombobulated defense running around and giving up multiple wide open looks on Mark.

Last edited:
Caden kol i hope is only playing cause fig got hurt before season. Cause he is just horrible at staying with his guy. He’s team captain and makes the simplest mistakes that captain should not make. The defense has to improve a lot next year if want to get back to playoffs n chip run. Grant he’s played great most of year but mark only had like 2-3 saves second half yes two were huge as we made that short comeback but also defense didn’t help a lot either. We have some young good poles really like to see them on field next year so olexo can get back to lsm as we have absolutely no transition at all.
I think it’s safe to say Kol won’t be playing next year. And if he is, we’re in big trouble again.

Credit to him for earning a Captain, cause against top end competition he just struggles mightily.

A little late to this and only saw the middle of the game, but not bad considering.

Our D is just not up to the task. Not sure how you improve it without a major infusion of athleticism and grit. Hopefully Petro is up to the task, bc it is not that impressive thus far. That said, I could not imagine trying to scheme for Brennan O'Neil.

Fun to watch the top 6 on O. Thought Duke bullied Spallina pretty well, and thought he handled it pretty well. Hopefully we get a FOGO and some more depth here.

Either the defense gels next year, he looks like a genius, and takes a head coaching job somewhere or we get another year of a confused, discombobulated defense running around and giving up multiple wide open looks on Mark, should he decide to stay.
Is Mark interested in transferring?

Honestly for defense maby just need to replace kol n clary. System only works if everyone in it does what suppose to do. Time n again kol doesn’t stay with his guy. Clary is good think he just wasn’t fully healthy from injury. Prob rushed back cause need to win to keep it going. But as said if one guy doesn’t do his job the rest of team playing good really won’t matter. Not saying there can’t be improvement there def can like gbs. Just mean kol can be the linchpin to D just falling apart. Cause as he goes off his guy or slides when not needed forces everyone to have to try recover or slide which then causes confusing n just blah. Sorry not trying hate on kid was his first year actually playing, been on team but only touch field this year. But for being on side all those years going off ur guy for no reason is just a mistake shouldn’t be made at this level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom