ESPN Cut List.. | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Cut List..

Oops, that was an incomplete thought that I forgot to completely erase, but yes, those guys, Hannah Storm, Fred Hickman and the late great Nick Charles.

Van Earl Wright was great. Nancy Newman, Chris Rose and Matt Yallof started there as well. Good times.

Hey give me a break. You said the same thing and went through the same depression when Digger left and you didn't know what teams were on a mission.

It really helped me narrow down what games to watch when I knew whether or not one of the teams was on a mission. If they were both on a mission, the bonus was seeing Digger's head explode.

Yeah, ESPN sucks now. I turned on the 6 o'clock Sportscenter and it was two people giving their opinion on stupid stuff. I couldn't believe it. This is what they think people want? Is this what people want? Not this people. I want scores and information. Not opinions from people that know less than me about sports. Unbelievable. It is unwatchable.

I agree, this has been coming for years, the his and her thing in the 6-7 window is inexcusable. Sportscaster in the morning has turned into the sports version of the today show, a fluffy fashion show. Add in the fact you give the NBA 1.4 B for their rights, for that brutal product. Alot of the programing is 5 suits and a skirt talking around a table with no real content. Yep, thats what you get, operating fat for years and only catering to the 14-22 yo demographic.

Ugh, tough day. I have more than a few former students at ESPN who were laid off today, a couple that were on air. Some of them just started families, and are in no way, shape, or form "rich." Sad day, they deserved better. Luckily, they're good at what they do and will hopefully land on their feet.

Ugh, tough day. I have more than a few former students at ESPN who were laid off today, a couple that were on air. Some of them just started families, and are in no way, shape, or form "rich." Sad day, they deserved better. Luckily, they're good at what they do and will hopefully land on their feet.

I think a lot of people (like Phat) think that since these people are on TV and at a major network like ESPN, then that means they are very well-off. Are they great jobs that many people would love to do? Sure. But most of these folks aren't making millions. The big time broadcasters and the like might be, but most of these people that were laid off today are not those folks. They probably make a decent living, but the industry they are in is ultra-competitive and it will be very hard for them to find comparable work now that they have been laid off.

wow.

the rest are just bit people, Kannel had his own show and from what I could tell, he wasn't as bad there as he was at QB...

although the Giants did win a NFC East with him...

I like kanell too, he will get picked up. Russillo is a meathead.

Espn has been unwatchable for more than a decade. I think the next shoe to drop is rights fees for live events. And don't count those ACC Network checks just yet. ESPN is a sinking ship.

His Dad owned a bar in Oneonta that I would frequent from time to time - The Black Cat.

That place sold the worst pizza ever, but it was passable after one too many beers.

I listen to Bomani for sports. It's becoming increasingly harder in this day and age to find things that aren't slanted one way or another.

I do like opposing viewpoints, and don't only listen to things I agree with. Having differing opinions and seeing how others view the world helps me become a better person. It's important to read and understand things that might not affect you.
It is, i just don't need to get that from sports/entertainment

I'd wager this has way more to with declining revenue from cord cutters than everything else combined. They're going to be hemorrhaging money for a long time.

I wondering if moves like this have long-term impact on Newhouse's degree. I have to admit, I don't know much about their degree programs but I hope they are adapting with the times.

That place sold the worst pizza ever, but it was passable after one too many beers.
A dive. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I would think several factors are at play here.

Cord cutters are probably a small number. Very few people who grew up on cable are cutting the cord. The bigger issue is that as cable subscribers are literally dying, they're being replaced by new home owners who never have nor ever will pay for cable.

And.ESPN has skewed its tv programming toward a younger audience...who is less likely to pay for their product.

I talk a good game, but I'm never going to cut the chord. I'm a backside demographic with disposable income. But stuff like around the horn is like watching soap operas for men. Who enjoys that crap?? So I'm a captive audience who they have turned off with programming.

Having said that, I also used to watch sports center on a loop when I was in my 20's...and loved it.

I wondering if moves like this have long-term impact on Newhouse's degree. I have to admit, I don't know much about their degree programs but I hope they are adapting with the times.
It won't change anything.

ESPN is losing money because of awful deals they signed with the MLB and NBA.

They are cutting costs because they are losing money. ESPN will rebound but they are taking it on chin right now.

I like kanell too, he will get picked up. Russillo is a meathead.

Hey, that meathead is a former Vermonter, so let's cut him some slack.

It won't change anything.

ESPN is losing money because of awful deals they signed with the MLB and NBA.

They are cutting costs because they are losing money. ESPN will rebound but they are taking it on chin right now.
My understanding is that they are not losing money. Just not making as much as they used to.

My understanding is that they are not losing money. Just not making as much as they used to.
Your right. The company isn't losing money they just aren't as profitable because of those deals.

Hey, that meathead is a former Vermonter, so let's cut him some slack.

I love Vermont, doesn't mean he isnt in love with his voice, has nothing to add minus the NBA, and has a face for radio.

Did I just hear Doug Glanville's eulogy watching the Sox-Yanks on ESPN?

That was beyond awkward.

Cord cutters are probably a small number. Very few people who grew up on cable are cutting the cord. The bigger issue is that as cable subscribers are literally dying, they're being replaced by new home owners who never have nor ever will pay for cable
I'll disagree. Americans die at a rate of ~2m per year. Then you factor out that some of them aren't cable subscribers (the very old, the young). ESPN lost 13 million subscribers over just the last few years at ~$7 a month. Just over a billion per year.

Also, ESPN isn't losing money because of ratings declines from their core audience, it's that sweet subscription money from people that never watched ESPN to begin with but were paying for it in a cable package. There were reports that big time layoffs were coming a month or two ago ESPN already laid off behind the scenes folks a year+ ago.

I would think several factors are at play here.

Cord cutters are probably a small number. Very few people who grew up on cable are cutting the cord. The bigger issue is that as cable subscribers are literally dying, they're being replaced by new home owners who never have nor ever will pay for cable.

And.ESPN has skewed its tv programming toward a younger audience...who is less likely to pay for their product.

I talk a good game, but I'm never going to cut the chord. I'm a backside demographic with disposable income. But stuff like around the horn is like watching soap operas for men. Who enjoys that crap?? So I'm a captive audience who they have turned off with programming.

Having said that, I also used to watch sports center on a loop when I was in my 20's...and loved it.
I miss the old sports center. When I was a kid I used to watch it from about 9am until noon every day over summer vacation. That being said, even if they went back to that old format and it was as awesome as it used to be, I probably wouldn't watch now because it's so easy to get scores and videos online.

I don't know if it's an overpay for the NBA or MLB - I do know live games are about the only reason not to watch Netflix/HBO/Amazon Prime - and the NBA/MLB have a ton of games. If your highlight stuff is less relevant and your reporting can only fill so much - you end up with debate shows and live games.

Bomani's great unless you're an old white dude that thinks he's race baiting when he talks about social justice issues.
Interviewing an outspoken member of the five percent nation who's basically preaching his thing for half of your show is certainly race baiting, and a lot more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom