Fran Brown | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Fran Brown

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 233965
…. Actual timeline for Fran brown. Your welcome.
Your original post said he was at Baylor for one year before going to Georgia which was not true.

“Yea working at temple and rutgers. Then Baylor for a year before being a position coach at Georgia, quite the prestigious pedigree for a head coach candidate.”

I don’t think it’s that bad, but it reminds me of Maryland hiring Locksley,, or it’s like why don’t we just bring back Nick Monroe for HC. Or George McDonald.
Please don't put Swag Daddy and McFkit in the same post
Thank you

Chesney knows a lot of HS HCs. That is how you get in with the portal guys. He has plenty of Northeast, Florida, Texas connections. Outside of UGA, Brown has no advantage in that regard.
Brown has already recruited some of the best portal talent, the 4 & 5 stars, out of HS recruiting for Georgia - which Chesney didn't recruiting for Holy Cross. So Brown already has preexisting relationships with many of the best players in the country - Chesney doesn't.

Brown already knows all the 4 & 5 star kids that had Georgia offers that may be hitting the portal now. So imho, in that regard, Brown has a significant advantage - one that might lead to him being hired?

Remember when Mike Locksley was all that? Ace recruiter. National rep. Totally inept as the head guy. Except one horrible afternoon against us of course.
Brown is just an updated version IMO. And he’s not coming here anyway
Fran and Mike are two different people.

I think Mikes vices impacted his ability to lead a program

I also think Maryland has done as well as they could in BigTen - if they stayed in ACC their program would be better on the field, just not so financially

Your original post said this…

Yea working at temple and rutgers. Then Baylor for a year before being a position coach at Georgia, quite the prestigious pedigree for a head coach candidate.
I had to type the name rutgers quick enough before I vomited.

Fair enough. Too many posts flying around for me to keep track.
Apologies if that shouldn't be directed at you but some need to hear it.

Yes I agree

But why does SU have to be the one who breaks them all in?
Because not many people want a retread who has gotten fired for any number of reasons, and we don’t pay enough (or at least so far haven’t) to “steal” another teams successful HC away from his currently successful program and convince him to fix our currently broken one.

Fran and Mike are two different people.

I think Mikes vices impacted his ability to lead a program

I also think Maryland has done as well as they could in BigTen - if they stayed in ACC their program would be better on the field, just not so financially
Locksley has evolved to the point where Maryland plays competitively in one of the toughest divisions in football, but he’ll never win that division. Financially they and Rutgers were (and RU still is) financial basket cases.

In normal times i think this would be a good list of potential coaches at SU, In fact its probably what you might expect. I actually think i like Brown the best , i think in normal times he might be just what we need and would be given more leeway than the other candidates because he has never been a head coach.

There are some other things to consider now, does the coach believe in using the portal , I mean Dabo is getting crushed for his position on it and Dino certainly got his share of critical comments over it. I think any coach they hire will be fully vetted on this.

Recruiting and schmoozing is a major biggie right now. Recruiting is big obviously but, with NIL and the constant need to upgrade facilities that requires money and beating the bush over alumni and boosters. A program needs that now days you cant have your coach be a wallflower he has to help make contacts and draw people in and help get money its just what college football is now. I think a person who is a good at recruiting fical youngsters might also be good at recruiting boosters and alumni and the like a good communicator is needed.

Also the big elephant in the room is the conference itself, Even if there is no movement of teams next year starts a new reality, a national conference where no one really knows how things are going to shake out.

These other schools that have hired coaches quickly dont have to contend with some of there members complaining about money, voting against expansion, perhaps even trying to break contracts that are holding the conference together. it has to be easier to explain at least your vision to a coaching candidate when you dont have to worry about your conference imploding. Im not holding that against Wildhack at all

Yeah i wish the list included some super charged cant miss head coach prospect but it doesnt. I gave up my season tickets 3 years ago and none of these candidates are going to make me run back to the ticket booth . I think though we have to look at the big picture and hope that the one who gets hired is that diamond in the rough and if they leave after 3 years because they were awesome then so be it.

So im liking Brown because he hasn't been a head coach but his current coach who might be the best in the land says he is a rising star. that is a good enough resume for me with this Syracuse list.

Chesney knows a lot of HS HCs. That is how you get in with the portal guys. He has plenty of Northeast, Florida, Texas connections. Outside of UGA, Brown has no advantage in that regard.
Exactly. Now he will have the resources (Limited as they may be) to attract the better talent. You don’t hire someone because they can maybe bring in SEC back up transfers. I don’t care who you are you’re not bringing high end established SEC talent. The only hire that would some what excite me out of the 5 people we interviewed that are still attainable is Chesney.

Last edited:
Schiano didn’t “Let him Go” he lost Fran to UGA
Ash is a terrible comparison bc Ash had no personality and had a DC title

Fran is a dynamic recruiter who would keep a lot of our guys from portaling and would give us a MUCH better chance to land portal guys than Chesney
I don't know where some of these posters get there information!

Exactly. Now he will have the resources (Limited as they may be) to attract the better talent. You don’t hire someone because they can maybe bring in SEC back up transfers. I don’t care who you are you’re not bringing high end established SEC talent. The only hire that would some what excite me out of the 5 people we hired that are still attainable is Chesney.
You have to admit that Brown is intriguing for the recruiting side because he has relationships with all the schools in FL & GA we'd want to target and is a NE guy with strong ties to NJ. Portal or not that does carry some value.

He was an AHC for 3 years under Matt Rhule who I consider to be a pretty good HC.

Am I just trying to talk myself into him?

Exactly. Now he will have the resources (Limited as they may be) to attract the better talent. You don’t hire someone because they can maybe bring in SEC back up transfers. I don’t care who you are you’re not bringing high end established SEC talent. The only hire that would some what excite me out of the 5 people we interviewed that are still attainable is Chesney.
I think the problem that most of us are having is that none of these candidates excite any of us because, that WOW factor is just not there...especially considering the depths to which our program has sunk, and the predictable exodus of current players and possibly some recruits.

Very interesting that we are allegedly looking at an ace recruiter with no HC or Coordinator experience. I guess someone realizes that we need better players.
Head coaches aren’t the ones doing the heavy lifting in recruiting though. Brown has barely been a coordinator at this level. Being a high level recruiter does not equal great game planner or in game coach. More than anything that is what we need. I’ll take a guy like Marrone every single day of the week over someone who hasn’t even established themselves as a coordinator.

Last edited:
You have to admit that Brown is intriguing for the recruiting side because he has relationships with all the schools in FL & GA we'd want to target and is a NE guy with strong ties to NJ. Portal or not that does carry some value.

He was an AHC for 3 years under Matt Rhule who I consider to be a pretty good HC.

Am I just trying to talk myself into him?
Brown, Chesney...isn't this the same as Faith...without seeing? The only thing missing, is Close your eyes...LOL...

Brown, Chesney...isn't this the same as Faith...without seeing? The only thing missing, is Close your eyes...LOL...

Umm, what hire wouldn’t be that. “Great hires” end up sucking all the time. They’re all a crap shoot.

Umm, what hire wouldn’t be that. “Great hires” end up sucking all the time. They’re all a crap shoot.
Are you familiar with the phrase...catching lightning in a bottle? That is what we need here...we need to get lucky, hire a guy, with some intangibles , and maybe, just maybe, he just kills it and exceeds all of our expectations.

I think the problem that most of us are having is that none of these candidates excite any of us because, that WOW factor is just not there...especially considering the depths to which our program has sunk, and the predictable exodus of current players and possibly some recruits.
Honestly at this point i really don’t care about the current players or recruits. There are very few worth keeping. We need a HC that can build a program, provide a whole new level of discipline, game plan, and make adjustments on the fly on game day. Hiring someone who has 1 year as a co-defensive coordinator isn’t it no matter how great of a recruiter he is. Assistant coaches do most of the heavy lifting with recruiting and the HC is mostly the closer. I’d want my HC concentrating on other things than mainly recruiting. Honestly, I doubt it would improve that much anyways. We’re never going to out recruit programs for blue chips, but we can hire someone who can identify talent and develop it. Patriot league or not at least Chesney checks those boxes with the candidates we are stuck with. The last thing we need is a HC learning on the fly when the most important years of this program are ahead of us. We stay the same course we are definitely being left out once the musical chairs come to an end. We only have so much time to turn this program around for a chance to not be an after thought once the conference shake up is complete.

Brown has already recruited some of the best portal talent, the 4 & 5 stars, out of HS recruiting for Georgia - which Chesney didn't recruiting for Holy Cross. So Brown already has preexisting relationships with many of the best players in the country - Chesney doesn't.

Brown already knows all the 4 & 5 star kids that had Georgia offers that may be hitting the portal now. So imho, in that regard, Brown has a significant advantage - one that might lead to him being hired?
Those kids aren’t coming here. We will get the ones that go to the SEC and find out they can’t play at that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom