Frank Howard...ahhhh, I got nothing. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Frank Howard...ahhhh, I got nothing.

We offered Girardi. He is a terrific shooter.
Word on the street is that he ain't comin here... He will be like that bubba gump kid they let get away or did not recruit from the area a bunch of years ago

Again, not a coincidence we keep losing tight games this year.

Not fighting over screens - Dead legs.

Missing end game free throws - Dead legs.

No idea how we keep having "Blame Frank" threads.

Blame coach who only plays one friggin defense all game. So sick of it.

Sooo...what you are saying is that we are extremely tired, have no D1 quality depth to play, but should be running a different defense that requires more energy be expended...makes perfect sense, I am glad I come to this board to have things explained to me.

Dayton and Middle Tennessee State shouldn't be tough, nor should an 11 seed, unranked Gonzaga team.

They weren’t. We blew them both out. More than can be said about Michigan State, who took a beating to Middle Tennessee State. We beat Gonzaga too, who crushed a 3 seed Utah team. How about Virginia? Should that have been tough? Those teams were so easy to beat that a #2 and a #3 both lost handily to them. Gotta love the “fans” on here downplaying Final Four runs, as if it were luck. Almost every game in the NCAAT is tough.

Last edited:

dead legs after 4 days off? Cmon. We won the last two. nobody complained about dead legs. we lose a game on a late 3 and suddenly it’s dead legs.

Last edited:
244ABDA5-9521-4397-8787-D216BD3445A6.png
Word on the street is that he ain't comin here... He will be like that bubba gump kid they let get away or did not recruit from the area a bunch of years ago

The zone is the reason they're one of the elite defenses in the country this season. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't.

i dont buy the excuse that frank is tired for his lazy d, remember the end of notre dame game? its more about his attitude and effort than his minutes.

Responding to your post but this response is not just targeted at you but at anyone who liked your post and/or unloaded on Tyus and/or Frank in this thread or any other thread.

Our 8th man is a walk-on.
Our 6th and 7th men are hurt and probably shouldn't be playing.
Our 1 and our 2 have no backup.
Our 4 and 5 give us no O whatsoever.
They are both asked to play 40 minutes a game.
They are both asked to play terrific D at the top of the zone.
They are both asked to score the bulk of the team's points.
In addition, Frank is supposed to initiate the offense.
And they are both asked to do this game after game in the (arguably) toughest conference in college hoops knowing that, if they both don't bring their A game every night, the team has no shot to compete, let alone win.

Do you, and everybody else, have any idea what kind of ask that is?

Any idea at all?

Any team with Frank at PG will never be really successful.
Agreed. He's been better than most expected and is our second most reliable scorer.

But he's doesn't make anyone better and just is not reliable.

He'd make a great third guard who could play spot minutes at either position.

His discard of the NC State player and subsequent shove is not the kind of behavior that screams "leader".

Agreed. He's been better than most expected and is our second most reliable scorer.

His discard of the NC State player and subsequent shove is not the kind of behavior that screams "leader".

Now ban yourself. ;)

I don't see how anyone can say he doesn't make anyone better around him. He's 5th in the ACC in assists. Imagine if more than 2 people he passed to could score with regularity. He puts the ball in places where even guys like mitten hands Chukwu can/could score. What more do people want?

The rest I'm not going to argue about. His attitude seems to be getting worse as the year drags on...

Frank will help lead our team back into the top 15 next year.

I don't see how anyone can say he doesn't make anyone better around him. He's 5th in the ACC in assists. Imagine if more than 2 people he passed to could score with regularity. He puts the ball in places where even guys like mitten hands Chukwu can/could score. What more do people want?

The rest I'm not going to argue about. His attitude seems to be getting worse as the year drags on...
Valid point about not making others better. Hard to tell with this bunch.

Think he actively helps find brissett open perimeter opportunities and sets up moyer well.

Marek has never looked comfortable with the ball when i see him at the dome, never.

Chukwu and sidibe are what they are.

Valid point about not making others better. Hard to tell with this bunch.

Question. Do you think it is a quasi-open competition for lead guard next season? I know JB had/has to coddle him to the media because there is literally nobody else. He was recruited over. I think a year ago+ JB was not envisioning needing to use Frank as the starting PG. No way Quade is not being pitched the keys to the bus, IMO. I think if we hope to push it and run with the ball then we are incapable with Frank unless he dramatically changes his handle and speed. I, too, think he would be valuable as a SG 6th man who can do a lot of things for you and some spot minutes at PG.

Leslie McDonald at UNC. Decent player but nothing special. Shooting guard who was playing a lot of PG before Marcus Paige arrived. His minutes went down and they were a pretty good team that year with a bunch of young players. Fr Kennedy Meeks/Britt, SO Brice Johnson/Tokoto, JR McAdoo. They lost in the S16 I believe to a Monte Morris (sigh) ISU team. I just remember commentators throughout the season how McDonald accepted a lesser role gracefully and the team was good.

Think he actively helps find brissett open perimeter opportunities and sets up moyer well.

Marek has never looked comfortable with the ball when i see him at the dome, never.

Chukwu and sidibe are what they are.

I think Frank played very well vs NCSt. I'll take 16pts, 6assts, 3 stls all day long from my PG. Yea, we wish he made those 2 FT's, but even if he did we're still behind and no guarantee we win. He didn't force shots and only took 10 making a higher percentage than usual (6). He did have 4 turnovers and turnovers are turnovers, but 2 of them were offensive fouls. So it's not like he was throwing the ball all over. The T didn't even bother me a lot especially since it got the other player a T and his 4th personal, making him to sit for awhile. He got hit around the neck and showed some piss and vinegar. We've had plenty of players over the years who got pissy. My all time fav ornery player was DC. Frank is a slick passer and if he had some sure handed bigs would have a couple more assists each game. He's being asked to be more than "just" a PG. He's being asked to be a scoring PG that HAS to score because we have 3 scorers and 3 scorers only. Hell, Thorpe is still our 4th leading scorer at 6ppg.

I think Frank played very well vs NCSt. I'll take 16pts, 6assts, 3 stls all day long from my PG. Yea, we wish he made those 2 FT's, but even if he did we're still behind and no guarantee we win. He didn't force shots and only took 10 making a higher percentage than usual (6). He did have 4 turnovers and turnovers are turnovers, but 2 of them were offensive fouls. So it's not like he was throwing the ball all over. The T didn't even bother me a lot especially since it got the other player a T and his 4th personal, making him to sit for awhile. He got hit around the neck and showed some piss and vinegar. We've had plenty of players over the years who got pissy. My all time fav ornery player was DC. Frank is a slick passer and if he had some sure handed bigs would have a couple more assists each game. He's being asked to be more than "just" a PG. He's being asked to be a scoring PG that HAS to score because we have 3 scorers and 3 scorers only. Hell, Thorpe is still our 4th leading scorer at 6ppg.

I don’t know man. Someone is going to score and make plays on a bad team...see Geno last year. I gotta say his shot looks really sweet. The deep ones with the nice form and such especially. He made two open threes with those corner handoffs off the inbounds when NCSU just inexplicably left him alone. And he made a couple of drives/floaters against that Beverly kid who looks like and is as athletic as a walk-on. Once Keatts finally put the other kid on him or anybody else at times I knew it was over. Many plays Frank just didn’t want the ball in his hands and just gave it up to our forwards lol or Tyus. Some plays he was doubled for sure but, like I mentioned, once Keatts put that Johnson kid on Frank I knew we were done. The drives were over and the pushoffs/turnovers started.

Question. Do you think it is a quasi-open competition for lead guard next season? I know JB had/has to coddle him to the media because there is literally nobody else. He was recruited over. I think a year ago+ JB was not envisioning needing to use Frank as the starting PG. No way Quade is not being pitched the keys to the bus, IMO. I think if we hope to push it and run with the ball then we are incapable with Frank unless he dramatically changes his handle and speed. I, too, think he would be valuable as a SG 6th man who can do a lot of things for you and some spot minutes at PG.

Leslie McDonald at UNC. Decent player but nothing special. Shooting guard who was playing a lot of PG before Marcus Paige arrived. His minutes went down and they were a pretty good team that year with a bunch of young players. Fr Kennedy Meeks/Britt, SO Brice Johnson/Tokoto, JR McAdoo. They lost in the S16 I believe to a Monte Morris (sigh) ISU team. I just remember commentators throughout the season how McDonald accepted a lesser role gracefully and the team was good.

I think people [not you, SoBe] get too hung up on positions. Frank will be a guard. Both he and Carey will have the ball in their hands and share playmaking responsibilities. In some lineups, Frank will be the clear lead guard [say, if he's paired with Hughes or Buddy]. In others, he might play off the ball. But neither he nor Carey are "pure" point guards -- they're hybrid scorers / facilitators.

Where I think we might see a better, more effective Frank next season isn't just related to having better scorers / shooters to pass to, but also that his game might be more complimentary with Carey than it is with Battle. Battle doesn't make Frank's job easier -- because while he's an adequate ballhandler, he isn't dynamic taking it to the basket, he isn't a passer, and he isn't a pure shooter. He can DO all of those things, but he isn't taking much pressure off of Frank. Carey would be able to.

With Frank, I think being in a position where he doesn't have to do as "much" because nobody else on the team can is going to go down substantially next year, and make him more efficient / effective. Less will be more, in other words.

Alright.

I’ll say it.

I liked the shove. The nc state player was grappling and jawing at frank on the way down. Im glad someones showing a pulse. Our team has two emotions, yay I just hit a three and im tired time to roll over.

Liked it from frank.

I think people [not you, SoBe] get too hung up on positions. Frank will be a guard. Both he and Carey will have the ball in their hands and share playmaking responsibilities. In some lineups, Frank will be the clear lead guard [say, if he's paired with Hughes or Buddy]. In others, he might play off the ball. But neither he nor Carey are "pure" point guards -- they're hybrid scorers / facilitators.

Where I think we might see a better, more effective Frank next season isn't just related to having better scorers / shooters to pass to, but also that his game might be more complimentary with Carey than it is with Battle. Battle doesn't make Frank's job easier -- because while he's an adequate ballhandler, he isn't dynamic taking it to the basket, he isn't a passer, and he isn't a pure shooter. He can DO all of those things, but he isn't taking much pressure off of Frank. Carey would be able to.

With Frank, I think being in a position where he doesn't have to do as "much" because nobody else on the team can is going to go down substantially next year, and make him more efficient / effective. Less will be more, in other words.

For sure. He’s versatile and that’s a plus. No question he is being asked to do too much. I think there are just obvious limitations with him playing so many minutes at PG especially when facing certain teams and if you want to deploy him really getting up and down the floor.

At times next season he can perhaps be a solid floor general setting up guys and deferring. He does have good vision. He’ll be a good shooter. I just am on pins and needles constantly with him as a dominant ballhander.

I think this is an excellent assessment

This is an excellent point. Full disclosure, I like Frank, I didn't see the game, and I generally don't like dumb lose-your-cool technicals. But it seems we've got a vocal bunch of fans who claim to love Devendorf-type behavior while excoriating Frank for being so stupid. Can't have it both ways...either it's good to "show fire" or it's not.

Alright.

I’ll say it.

I liked the shove. The nc state player was grappling and jawing at frank on the way down. Im glad someones showing a pulse. Our team has two emotions, yay I just hit a three and im tired time to roll over.

Liked it from frank.

Grappling? The guy came down and inadvertently, IMO, came down with his hand/arm on his neck. The kid was destroying Frank on the court. Frank was stupid for pushing the kid especially after he was getting owned by him. Of course the kid would come back jawing at him. I don’t see how anybody sans goggles can back Frank with that particular sequence. It was bush league.

Grappling? The guy came down and inadvertently, IMO, came down with his hand/arm on his neck. The kid was destroying Frank on the court. Frank was stupid for pushing the kid especially after he was getting owned by him. Of course the kid would come back jawing at him. I don’t see how anybody sans goggles can back Frank with that particular sequence. It was bush league.

lil hyperbole much? They finished with the same numbers. The entire play started on a Battle Turnover.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom