friggin uconn | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

friggin uconn

Chinese Democracy had a few good songs on it, but was marred by cheesy production. Slash's recent solo output has been decent. Izzy's first solo album is the best album, post-classic G n' R lineup.

Axl sounded good in 2001. There YouTube of them at Rock in Rio that year where Axl sounded very good...not 1987 good but solid.

You are to rock what SWC is to SU stats on this board. But to pat my own back, sometimes my antics(like earlier here) help start good conversations, whether everyone(cough, cough) appreciates them or not. ;)

Iommi, can you explain why South America loves GNR so much? I mean I know they had a heck of a concert in Japan and maybe the whole world loved them, but South America seems to have a special affinity for them. Is it because Axl was more primal and not wussified like most conformist Western males, and their societies could relate to him and GNRs raw music more than the overproduced and PC crap typical of Western society?

"Dead." Your word. Mine is "mid major." Not interested in splitting hairs anymore over a straw man take.

Tip a few and relax.

RF2044

This mid-major stuff is overblown, albeit a reality. Again, because they are established as a national power, they are always going to be a power. Sure, the AAC blows chunks, but they are on national tv enough to remain very much in play for major recruits. I'd much rather be in the AAC and have 4 rings in the past...what...20-odd years than be in the ACC with one. I'd take that trade off, especially considering they have top classes coming in. Let's say Ollie leaves (doubtful), you don't think they'd be in play for a major name to replace him, just because they are UConn?

Frankly, I hope SU is on solid footing with Hop but the jury is very much out on that one. Ollie has shown he can coach and recruit, Hop has only shown the latter, but he's been bringing in players for JB not himself. It's a concern, no?

Wow...i didnt know about this. Duff too. Sure Id like the others, but maybe they will come with rebuilding. Alice in Chains opening... sure Layne is gone, but they new guy isnt bad and does as well as one could expect. I need to check out the dates now.

I'm sure you have but have you ever heard the stories of Laynes last year or so? Shocking and very very heart breaking.

Gnr is doing two shows, one on the 8th, one on the 9th then doing the coachella festival in California. My ex in Syracuse I'm flying out here because she's a huge fan, got my tickets for $220 each and the seats are garbage. Now garbage seats are going for $300 each which is low when they were peaking at $350 each a week and a half ago.

You are to rock what SWC is to SU stats on this board. But to pat my own back, sometimes my antics(like earlier here) help start good conversations, whether everyone(cough, cough) appreciates them or not. ;)

Iommi, can you explain why South America loves GNR so much? I mean I know they had a heck of a concert in Japan and maybe the whole world loved them, but South America seems to have a special affinity for them. Is it because Axl was more primal and not wussified like most conformist Western males, and their societies could relate to him and GNRs raw music more than the overproduced and PC crap typical of Western society?

South America loves hard rock music. Period. Watch Rush "YYZ" from Rush in Rio or whatever it was called...or pretty much any Maiden video from down there. They love to get sweaty and head bang because of the reasons you wrote of in your second paragraph above.

South America loves hard rock music. Period. Watch Rush "YYZ" from Rush in Rio or whatever it was called...or pretty much any Maiden video from down there. They love to get sweaty and head bang because of the reasons you wrote of in your second paragraph above.

Hot ! Are you serious? Am I right about something on here finally? lol I feel like Beavis and Butthead would if they finally scored! (Im tempted to cue up that Rush in Rio for later viewing, I seriously think it's great that music can bridge such gaps)

I kinda feel like getting somber and giving an acceptance speech :)

Moving forward? I'd say yes.

Again, nobody can take those titles away. But will their future be contending for national championships out of the AAC? Highly unlikely.

People point to their past success as if that guarantees future performance. Meanwhile, those days of contending for a national championship grow more distant in the rear view mirror with each passing year.

Agreed.

I don't think anyone can take away their success, and Ollie has kept them afloat. But without a major conference affiliation they will probably be looking at an Xavier type status in the coming years. That is not a bad thing -- Xavier still has the ability to compete and win titles, but they are looking at that type of status. Remember, they are just two years removed from a NC and have had two subpar regular seasons in what is essentially a mid major conference since then -- with a ton of talent. Even with the 4 titles, they are not a "national brand" in the way the blue bloods are. I am by no means knocking them -- in fact they get all the respect in the world from me winning 4 titles -- what we wouldn't do to have them. But let's not kid ourselves bc Ollie has a good recruiting class on paper -- if they want to keep their "elite" status on a national scale, they will need to get out of the AAC. Their fan base knows that -- that is why everyday they check blogs and twitter hoping for any glimmer of hope for a Big10 invite. I for one was very disappointed when they didn't get an ACC invite -- they seemed like a natural choice and I wanted to see the Big East rivalry continue. Their fan base is another story, obviously -- but as a program they have accomplished what I wish we would have. But in no way shape or form would I trade our future for theirs so long as they are in the AAC.

Better yet - take it to the Off-Topic board

I didnt know you could(would) quote posts I erased 6 hours ago. Thanks for teaching me something new. I also am apologizing to RLB now, because...well i cant say, but I am. I admit when I err. SMH

Hey, while we're talking turkey, didnt you say you'd post the other 10 yrs of the SOS? If you give me the link I'll be happy to do it for the fans. I've done a lot of work today and yesterday for the fans. Can I write that in here?

Darn you Iommi, youve led me down the path of evil! You too dave85 and whomever else.

Dont make me post obi wan kenobi video clips! ;)

Edit # 3 or 4...(lol) GO orange... press some this game, use Lydon on a pick and roll or something.

Edit 5 OOPS... I forgot this wasn't an on topic thread to begin with. I cant seem to do anything to please some posters! :oops::oops:

Edit #6.02x10tothe23rd I apologize 79, I thought I deleted that post, unless someone put it back or there was a board error. I suppose I will never know, which is why I'm taking the high road and issuing an apology, erring on the side of caution as Ive been doing the last couple of days. I have been humbled. Taking off my sweaty jersey and headed to the bench. :(

Last edited:
two3zone said:
Uconn fan: "we have 4 titles!!!" SU fan response: "our school made 18 million dollars more than yours so you suck!!!!" Smh. I personally don't care how much money Syracuse is putting into their safe, I'd rather have more titles.

Yeah, great point. Except $ usually means championships. 3 of the 4 titles were when they were in the BE when the BE was a major.

Who was the last mid major to win a NCAA championship in football or basketball?

The question isn't who'd you rather have been, it's who you'd rather be. Or whose future is brighter $$$?

CaptainJ said:
You NAILED it. Real SU fans dont give 2 $h1ts about all of the money like the SU administration and a handful of others(cough, no names mentioned) do. That's the real "Us and Them" divide...not the us vs UConn. YouTube Video

They should. It means the coaches they can hire will be better, the recruiting trips longer, the facilities better, etc.

Let's say Hop doesn't work out and that same year Oliie goes to the NBA... What job is better?

More money, better conference, better facilities, etc. It's us.

They should. It means the coaches they can hire will be better, the recruiting trips longer, the facilities better, etc.

Let's say Hop doesn't work out and that same year Oliie goes to the NBA... What job is better?

More money, better conference, better facilities, etc. It's us.

I'm not arguing with you're theory, it sounds solid enough brother. I'm just wondering on a timetable for turning football around and curious as heck how things will look when JB's immortality finally expires soon...and if Ollie doesn't bolt to the NBA as soon as folks hope. I mean much of this is just guessing, and we've blessed with the 2nd most winning coach of all time for 4 decades, and I'm concerned some folks take this legend for Granted... like they do players with all these posts assuming next year's class is going to have player Y who will be as good or better than player X.

I'm just taking a wait and see attitude, no proclamations on our various programs, let alone some other school's. What I do know is they have 4 titles and one of them pretty recently. Wasnt it immediately after they were ****ed from the tournament? I suppose this is our chance to equal that feat? :)

CaptainJ said:
I'm not arguing with you're theory, it sounds solid enough brother. I'm just wondering on a timetable for turning football around and curious as heck how things will look when JB's immortality finally expires soon...and if Ollie doesn't bolt to the NBA as soon as folks hope. I mean much of this is just guessing, and we've blessed with the 2nd most winning coach of all time for 4 decades, and I'm concerned some folks take this legend for Granted... like they do players with all these posts assuming next year's class is going to have player Y who will be as good or better than player X. I'm just taking a wait and see attitude, no proclamations on our various programs, let alone some other school's. What I do know is they have 4 titles and one of them pretty recently. Wasnt it immediately after they were ****ed from the tournament? I suppose this is our chance to equal that feat? :)

I respect that, for sure.

My point is pretty simple: it's always better to have more money. As a fan I'm in favor of my programs having the best coaches and stuff.

Football: if we were in the AAC, we wouldn't have sniffed Dino Babers as HC. We've given ourselves a chance at success because of $, conference, and a better % at a championship (though in football it's damn near impossible).

Basketball: if the worst case scenario plays out, we have a better chance at staying relevant because of $, conference, and a better % at a championship. Not to mention a larger pool of qualified coaches.

I didnt know you could(would) quote posts I erased 6 hours ago. Thanks for teaching me something new. I also am apologizing to RLB now, because...well i cant say, but I am. I admit when I err. SMH
It's not deleted - it's still on the previous page - post # 152

It's not deleted - it's still on the previous page - post # 152

Yeah, I know I addressed that in edit #7 a few minutes ago. I'm tired, been working hard. The only way I found out was seeing what I got thanked for in this thread a few minutes ago. Apparently I got thanks for it being there, so maybe it wasnt bad afterall. Who am I to say?

When I saw this thread mentioned in my alerts(smaller print), to my tired eyes it looked like "friggin unicorn" :)

iommi said:
G n' R was long done before they did Sympathy. Axl hiring Paul Huge,his good buddy, as the 2nd guitarist, didn't help matters. The bottom line was once Axl took over the band in the early 90s, they'd never be the Appetite world-beaters they were. IMO G n' R was in trouble when Izzy got sick of the bs and left.

GnR was long done when Appetite was released. Axl was traveling separately from the band even then.

I worked for an audio company that provided gear four a half dozen club dates on that first tour, and it was like something out of a book. The first gig the band/crew bus shows up 45 minutes late (coming from Buffalo) and out first comes 15 or so fine looking women. They and the band immediately go right to the bar and start drinking (1pm). The crew is pretty edgy because the band is 24/7 binging and Axl is getting a reputation for throwing things and punching crew.

Five minutes before showtime Axl arrives, walks onstage and the show starts. The first 30 minutes were amazing, then the booze and other stuff starts setting in. Fascinating to watch. Still one of the most memorable shows I've ever seen. Axl storms off the stage and out the back door at the end of the encore without saying a word and his bus leaves. The band stays and recruits a new group of fans and heads out an hour later.

The next shows were unbearably tense, but all went off with the same script; Axl shows up mad, set starts well and ends sloppy, Axl storms off stage. One show he full out threw a mic stand at one of his crew. Blood and stitches.

I wasn't surprised by anything I heard about the disfunction, and only that they were able to keep it together for a 2nd album.

iommi said:
Izzy's first solo album is the best album, post-classic G n' R lineup.

Agree on Izzy. His first album and tour were excellent.

And sorry for continuing the music posts, but I didn't think this thread was about basketball; I thought it was about UCONN...

UCONN is one of the luckiest teams of all time, and things always pan out for them. they will beat Kansas as Kansas always finds ways to lose gams in March, then we can watch Ollie give his interview at the end of the game with his whole team standing behind him

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sdot

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom