Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 56 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Syracuse University News » » Alumnus Consults on Accessibility for Promenade, Dome and Arch Projects

Alumnus Danny Heumann is a consultant with Campus Planning, Design and Construction, advising on provisions of the ADA and bringing insights on inclusive design into some of the University’s major construction and renovation projects this summer, including key components in the draft Campus Framework.

While a student at Syracuse in the late 1980s, Danny Heumann ’91 quickly discovered the challenges of being on a campus in a wheelchair—hills, snow and limits on access to facilities.

Heumann, a television, radio and film management major with a minor in political science, learned how to be his own advocate and would meet with University officials to discuss accessibility.

He wanted to play racquetball in Flanagan Gymnasium, so the University had a special lift designed. He asked for a ramp to the Women’s Building and electronic doors at the Schine Student Center, and they were installed.

“Despite the weather and the trials and tribulations, I was trying to figure out my life and where I fit into this world, and it was all here in this able-bodied world of students,” Heumann says. “I was trying to be a student with a new disability on a college campus before the Americans with Disabilities Act [ADA] in 1991.”

Today, Heumann is back on campus as an advocate for the entire Syracuse University community.

Heumann is a consultant with Campus Planning, Design and Construction, advising on provisions of the ADA and bringing insights on inclusive design into some of the University’s major construction and renovation projects this summer, including the University Promenade, the Arch complex and upgrades to the Dome, all of which are key components contained within the draft Campus Framework.

Alumnus Danny Heumann and Chancellor Kent Syverud met up during Heumann's time on campus as a consultant on matters of accessibility. Photo by Bryan Smith

“What’s wonderful about being here is that Syracuse has given me so much in my life in terms of making me the person that I am today,” Heumann says. “I wanted to take my talents and motivation and inspiration and bring it back to my alma mater—especially when my alma mater wants to do everything in its power to be the most accessible, inclusive university in the country.”

Heumann had arrived on campus in 1986, a year after he was supposed to matriculate. A car accident the year before—just two weeks before he was supposed to start at Syracuse—left Heumann paralyzed from the chest down.

At the time, administrators, such as Barry L. Wells, currently a special assistant to Chancellor Kent Syverud, and Grace Severino, then director of the Parents Office, who had met him prior to his accident, assured his family his place was waiting at Syracuse when he was ready.

“I knew if I could overcome all the obstacles in front of me at Syracuse then I could do whatever I wanted to do when I graduated,” says Heumann, who went on to earn a law degree and is a motivational speaker.

While he advocated for access, other supporters on campus also worked on his behalf. Joseph Lore, then a Department of Recreation Services staff member who is now director, assisted students who put on events to benefit Heumann’s Fund for Spinal Cord Research.

In preparation for graduation, Heumann worked with a trainer for a year, walking on braces and crutches in the Carrier Dome to walk during Commencement. Pete Sala, who was part of the Dome staff then and is now vice president and chief facilities officer, encouraged him in his endeavors at the Dome.

And at the Newhouse Convocation and Commencement, Heumann achieved his goal. “It was my way to say thank you to the students and to all the administrators and faculty for everything they did for me,” says Heumann, who lives in Ann Arbor, Mich., with his wife and daughter.

Heumann, who has worked on accessibility projects at other sports venues, is back on campus to ensure everyone has equal access and the opportunity to achieve their goals on the Syracuse University campus.

Q: What are some of the measures that will be done to make the University Promenade accessible?

A: The first thing is to make sure that the ingress and egress in terms of the slope meets the ADA requirements. The second thing is to ensure whatever tables and chairs that are put on the promenade are accessible. It’s very difficult sometimes for a wheelchair to comfortably fit around a round table with benches that are attached to the ground.

Alumnus Danny Heumann visits the construction site for the University Promenade. Heumann is a consultant to the University on accessibility measures. Photo by Bryan Smith

Q: How do you expect mobility and accessibility will be enhanced for all visitors to the Dome?

A: The University is going to improve the width and sightlines of all the accessible platforms. There will be additional platforms and there will be lower counters at the concession stands. Floor seating behind the baskets will also be made available to those with disabilities to purchase.

Throughout the Dome, there will be additional restrooms for women and family restrooms; every bathroom will be accessible. The first aid area will also be improved. Club 44 is going to be totally accessible and there’s going to be better viewing in the executive club, lowering the tables for people. All private suites are also going to be made ADA accessible. There will also be enhanced services for those with hearing or visual impairments.

Q: What sort of work will be done at the Arch complex (a new state-of-the-art student-focused health and wellness complex in a renovated Archbold Gymnasium)?

A: My role is to make sure—between the bathrooms, locker rooms, changing rooms, weight room facilities, cardiovascular facilities and new ADA elevator—that every nook and cranny of Archobld and Flanagan is meeting ADA standards. But also, more importantly, that they go beyond the ADA to make them the best they can be.

Q: What has it been like to return to campus to provide insights on this work?

A: I’m honored to be involved and I get to work with my friends like Pete Sala and Joe Lore. I have the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor and his leadership team to thank for this. We are going to make this campus one of the most incredible, beautiful campuses in the world.

I’ve been given an opportunity of a lifetime that I will cherish for the rest of my life. That’s how much being at Syracuse means to me.

I understand the same, but hope it can go beyond that, to things like veterans and future med school rehab work, sports or physical performance output, and obvious Newhouse stuff, like enhanced studios and game production as a "live classroom".

That has to almost be a lock, in terms of things that must be done. Here you will have a top end venue, 300 or so yards away from a top end journalism school, where a huge % of incoming freshman want to do something in the sports field. To not build that building into the curriculum, would be insane. Hopefully Mr. Wildhack can get up to speed quick enough to offer perspective here.

OttoMets and I have been chatting a bit about this, but anyone else notice that the trees at Plaza 44 are gone? That's not good.

Maybe they are going for a revised landscaping plan... with irrigation?
Either that or sometimes they don't take if they get shocked for one reason or another... How many were there? I never had the opportunity to go see them after they were done.

In all seriousness, why would it matter if trees were removed?
I have a deep love for SU and the campus. I appreciate it looking beautiful and being well kept. I have been discussing with Ottomets, who is my go to expert, how negligent SU has been taking care of the landscaping on campus. Something that creates a negative stigma to visitors, etc. These trees planted a year ago, have been neglected and wasted. Its lazy and shows a lack of attention to detail that our school needs. The beautification of the athletic facilities generates interest from recruits and fans. I already don't love the way the statues are set up, and the fact that they casually put some trees behind them and then let them die, makes me angry as a donor to the project.

Either that or sometimes they don't take if they get shocked for one reason or another... How many were there? I never had the opportunity to go see them after they were done.
can't remember if there were two rows of 3 or 4. So 6 or 8.

I have a deep love for SU and the campus. I appreciate it looking beautiful and being well kept. I have been discussing with Ottomets, who is my go to expert, how negligent SU has been taking care of the landscaping on campus. Something that creates a negative stigma to visitors, etc. These trees planted a year ago, have been neglected and wasted. Its lazy and shows a lack of attention to detail that our school needs. The beautification of the athletic facilities generates interest from recruits and fans. I already don't love the way the statues are set up, and the fact that they casually put some trees behind them and then let them die, makes me angry as a donor to the project.

I see what you are saying. I thought you were hinting at some bad new structure coming or the like.

Aren't those statues getting moved to where Ernie is after the Dome renovations?

Thought I heard that somewhere.

Maybe they are going for a revised landscaping plan... with irrigation?

If only someone had pointed out last summer that new trees need water...oy.

Seriously, dropping a few statues right next to the parking lot already made for such a bad design, but SU and the contractor really screwed up by not watering the trees properly last summer and then failing to water at all this year. Plenty of people, including the resource-strapped city, have managed to keep new trees alive in the last year. Too bad SU's so clumsy with this stuff.

If only someone had pointed out last summer that new trees need water...oy.

Seriously, dropping a few statues right next to the parking lot already made for such a bad design, but SU and the contractor really screwed up by not watering the trees properly last summer and then failing to water at all this year. Plenty of people, including the resource-strapped city, have managed to keep new trees alive in the last year. Too bad SU's so clumsy with this stuff.
My assumption (benefit of the doubt) is that there was some planning reason why the trees were removed (i.e., something else going in or the statutes being relocated). If not, I can come by once a week with a watering can . . . :noidea:

I think at least 16, maybe 24. A lot. And they were planted too close together anyway. That is, if anyone expected them to grow to maturity.
Post #1348 shows what the design team intended. Lets just say lots of trees and large berms to shelter the plaza. They cannot easily put a new facility too close to the IPF, that side especially, as I don't believe the IPF walls are rated. The new facility would need rated walls, and/or meet the code prescribed requirements for "separation distance". Also to my knowledge they have no plans to remove Coyne. That is the home of the National Champion Field Hockey team for one.

My assumption (benefit of the doubt) is that there was some planning reason why the trees were removed (i.e., something else going in or the statutes being relocated). If not, I can come by once a week with a watering can . . . :noidea:

Nah, they pulled them because they died, they hope to establish some kind of green space there. I expect they'll be replanted (but I hope they'll wait until October this time - if they don't want to water, at least give Mother Nature a puncher's chance).

SU2NASA said:
Love the statue, but good God the base looks amateur hour. Also, the IPF could use some bricks.

Hoping that black sign with the comic sans falls off. C'mon, Wildhack - first order of business.

Hoping they're leaving sufficient space in the Dome for ACC Network production facilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom