Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 55 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "Dome as student laboratory" comments are the most interesting to me. Look back at the article Whitey posted about the Maryland conversion of Cole Field House to a football practice facility. They are putting at least three new academic programs in there and getting state funding for it as an academic project. UA boss Kevin Plank is putting up I think $15 million, but also he is founding a new college to be housed there (School of Entrepreneurship) and between that and their new sports science institute, they will use the building as a "lab" so they can say, "Its not athletic, its academic" and they are outfitting multiple fitness spaces in there open to all students. I see the connection to the Arch in this vein.

To each their own, I suppose, but that new building at Cornell is horrific in my opinion. Just the epitome of blah. Looks like something out of minority report or something my two year old niece could throw together with mega blocks. I guarantee the metal paneling look will be a stain on architectural history when we look back in 25-30 years.
You're right, to each his own.

1274594889-douglas1.jpg

Richard Meier Douglas House circa 1973 - How's it look 43 years later?

Richard Meier's Douglas House Added to National Register of Historic Places

Or this, his High Museum in Atlanta done 33 years ago.
P1.6UU.072C-1024x807.jpg

Ultimately, I hear you that the style is not for everyone, but I think you're too late to say we will regret this in 25 years. This was a movement in the late 60's. I for one am not crazy about the renderings for Archbold. I think they lack any real architectural flair or voice, but I can't say that it is because of regrettable metal panels. My reason for pointing out Weill center at Cornell is only to show a very well endowed Ivy League school has embraced the move away from bricks and ivy, so we are not being cheap and short sighted by this alone. It may prove to be cheap in the end, but I can't say that based on the renderings or material choices I see.

You're right, to each his own.

1274594889-douglas1.jpg

Richard Meier Douglas House circa 1973 - How's it look 43 years later?

Richard Meier's Douglas House Added to National Register of Historic Places

Or this, his High Museum in Atlanta done 33 years ago.
P1.6UU.072C-1024x807.jpg

Ultimately, I hear you that the style is not for everyone, but I think you're too late to say we will regret this in 25 years. This was a movement in the late 60's. I for one am not crazy about the renderings for Archbold. I think they lack any real architectural flair or voice, but I can't say that it is because of regrettable metal panels. My reason for pointing out Weill center at Cornell is only to show a very well endowed Ivy League school has embraced the move away from bricks and ivy, so we are not being cheap and short sighted by this alone. It may prove to be cheap in the end, but I can't say that based on the renderings or material choices I see.

I think metal panels can be used with pleasant effect, but -- just as brick can be used nicely but wasn't in the case of Hinds or HBC or thousands of other buildings in the early '60s -- it's overused in an unimaginative and cheap-looking way in recent years.

I think metal panels can be used with pleasant effect, but -- just as brick can be used nicely but wasn't in the case of Hinds or HBC or thousands of other buildings in the early '60s -- it's overused in an unimaginative and cheap-looking way in recent years.
I like some contemporary metal skin designs. It can be used well and interestingly. The firm designing the veterans center for one is known for it among others.
ttm23864_large.jpg
tumblr_lzzjuzBzR81qlqa6no1_1280.jpg
kveus11478s.jpg

But each of these are using the metal in more of a rain screen application. The renderings and description of Arch sound more like a composite insulated panel, more like the Meier examples, or the IPF for that matter.

The top one is a proposal by Herzog DeMeuron. They have a few like this. One is an art museum in San Francisco that I like. Turning massing or program diagrams into buildings is a fairly recent thing. Rem Koolhaas and BIG seem to run that way a lot. Snohetta, one of the 3 finalists for the veterans center have a similar design approach. They did the 9/11 museum at ground zero. This is the caliber of architect the school wants to employ for its marquee projects. Stepping up that game should enhance the campus atmosphere. There are some good ones and some bad ones now. Saying this, I am disappointed by the Arch design, metal panels or not.

The top one is a proposal by Herzog DeMeuron. They have a few like this. One is an art museum in San Francisco that I like. Turning massing or program diagrams into buildings is a fairly recent thing. Rem Koolhaas and BIG seem to run that way a lot. Snohetta, one of the 3 finalists for the veterans center have a similar design approach. They did the 9/11 museum at ground zero. This is the caliber of architect the school wants to employ for its marquee projects. Stepping up that game should enhance the campus atmosphere. There are some good ones and some bad ones now. Saying this, I am disappointed by the Arch design, metal panels or not.
How do you like the new law building? I didn't like it at first ... austere dark color and kind of industrial looking. Then when I saw it in person, I started liking it. There are so many surfaces on the facade .. really gives it a lot of dimension. And the interior's amazing.

dineen-300x214.jpg

upload_2016-7-13_19-55-12.png

How do you like the new law building? I didn't like it at first ... austere dark color and kind of industrial looking. Then when I saw it in person, I started liking it. There are so many surfaces on the facade .. really gives it a lot of dimension. And the interior's amazing.

View attachment 69404

View attachment 69405
I think it needs a bit more context around it and the textures/patterns in the brickwork that you are talking about are very subtle. I like subtle, but they are a little lost in that building. Richard Gluckman is a great architect and an alum. He did the conversion of the Warehouse too. I am OK with it, but as I said, there needs to be a bit more around it for it to really function right. It is a bit remote, and I lived in Lawrinson, so I know. Seems it may get some more context eventually.

View attachment 69404

View attachment 69405
The look is certainly impressive, but, it's hard to imagine having more wasted space.

The amount of unused square footage is equally impressive.

Last edited:
orangecuse said:
Wow, did he just confirm that Archbold will be connected to the dome? From the 1:48 mark, and, I quote, 'the fact that we're going to connect this and build the Arch'... :)

I thought that was already known.

I thought that was already known.
After the Arch designs were released, it didn't look there was going to be any way to connect it to the dome. So the general thought was that that idea was possibly canned.

I think it needs a bit more context around it and the textures/patterns in the brickwork that you are talking about are very subtle. I like subtle, but they are a little lost in that building. Richard Gluckman is a great architect and an alum. He did the conversion of the Warehouse too. I am OK with it, but as I said, there needs to be a bit more around it for it to really function right. It is a bit remote, and I lived in Lawrinson, so I know. Seems it may get some more context eventually.

They had to trim a ton of money from that building, it's the result of some serious value-engineering. The fenestration's always been goofy, but the whole thing might have been better if they'd had more success raising funds.

They had to trim a ton of money from that building, it's the result of some serious value-engineering. The fenestration's always been goofy, but the whole thing might have been better if they'd had more success raising funds.
Wildhack to the rescue?

I had heard the connection to Archbold would be below grade and would not have been visible from the outside.

So many different versions though...who kniws

I had heard the connection to Archbold would be below grade and would not have been visible from the outside.

So many different versions though...who kniws
Underground? Seems pointless to do that with the 2 structures right next to each other. An underground tunnel system connecting the campus makes sense to provide convenience during the winters, but that's off topic.

Underground? Seems pointless to do that with the 2 structures right next to each other. An underground tunnel system connecting the campus makes sense to provide convenience during the winters, but that's off topic.
The original locker rooms for Archbold Stadium were in Archbold Gym, and the team entered the stadium from the east through a tunnel from the gym to the stadium. If this happens, the connection between the buildings would be restored.

I wonder if they might put the locker rooms back in Archbold Gym? I doubt with basketball being on the other side of the building...

The original locker rooms for Archbold Stadium were in Archbold Gym, and the team entered the stadium from the east through a tunnel from the gym to the stadium. If this happens, the connection between the buildings would be restored.

I wonder if they might put the locker rooms back in Archbold Gym? I doubt with basketball being on the other side of the building...
Let's hope they are cutting costs in that area to invest more bells and whistles on the dome itself.

I guess I haven't seen this part of the plan. Are they planning on tearing down all of those houses on that side of the street on Ostrom and replacing it with dorms?
I went back through the campus framework plans put out by SU and this is what I find...

2. ENRICH STUDENT LIFE

• Dome improvements and roof replacement

• The Arch student life and recreation center

• Renovate Sheraton Hotel for student housing

• Student services hub

• Renovate Bird Library

• Haven Hall and Booth Hall additions

• Housing replacements

• Schine Student Center

• West Campus recreation elds and parking

• West Campus housing

• Build Ostrom Avenue Housing

• Build consolidated athletics and recreation complex

on South Campus

The "Dome as student laboratory" comments are the most interesting to me. Look back at the article Whitey posted about the Maryland conversion of Cole Field House to a football practice facility. They are putting at least three new academic programs in there and getting state funding for it as an academic project. UA boss Kevin Plank is putting up I think $15 million, but also he is founding a new college to be housed there (School of Entrepreneurship) and between that and their new sports science institute, they will use the building as a "lab" so they can say, "Its not athletic, its academic" and they are outfitting multiple fitness spaces in there open to all students. I see the connection to the Arch in this vein.
It will be a "Student Laboratory" for the Falk College of Sport & Human Dynamics. Since Wildhack is on the advisory board I assume he knows a ton about what is going to happen.

I've heard there will be a room with miniature daktronics boards for the SPM Students to learn game presentation, as well as a call center for SPM as well so students can get sport sales experience while helping the current staff sell STs and packages. The Dome has always been a good tool for those who want a career in facility and event management.

It will be a "Student Laboratory" for the Falk College of Sport & Human Dynamics. Since Wildhack is on the advisory board I assume he knows a ton about what is going to happen.

I've heard there will be a room with miniature daktronics boards for the SPM Students to learn game presentation, as well as a call center for SPM as well so students can get sport sales experience while helping the current staff sell STs and packages. The Dome has always been a good tool for those who want a career in facility and event management.
I understand the same, but hope it can go beyond that, to things like veterans and future med school rehab work, sports or physical performance output, and obvious Newhouse stuff, like enhanced studios and game production as a "live classroom".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom