Future Campus Framework Presentation... | Page 50 | Syracusefan.com

Future Campus Framework Presentation...

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about just wait for the university to roll it out. If you ignore everything else, you will probably be ok.

Like I said, I'll be happy to be proved wrong. But after following this thing closely for the past eight months you can color me unimpressed. By that, I mean with the university's public relations. I like a lot of what I'm seeing in what's been released, but as you say, until the university rolls things out officially these are just so many pretty pictures (or maybe not).

:noidea:

Yeah, that was my first thought.

Has the cell-phone generation's attention to detail been ruined that seriously? That guy can't really think the renderings have anything in common with each other.

Like I said, I'll be happy to be proved wrong. But after following this thing closely for the past eight months you can color me unimpressed. By that, I mean with the university's public relations. I like a lot of what I'm seeing in what's been released, but as you say, until the university rolls things out officially these are just so many pretty pictures (or maybe not).
Do they really have a choice? It's a massive project. The Dome reno alone is $250M. Obviously, the U needs feedback from stakeholders. To make that possible, they have to come out with concept drawings and preliminary plans. Seems to me the CMP draft is pretty well done, although there are some surprises.

Moving 2,700 beds from South to North campus is an eye-opener. It'll cost millions. But again, that's why they release preliminary drafts and proposals ...

They have a choice to hold a major press event introducing the national media, including the sports media, to the New Dome.

Maybe they will.

Or they can do what they've been doing.

I just believe that HCDB could use all the help from his bosses that he can get as he tries to turn around our football fortunes.

They have a choice to hold a major press event introducing the national media, including the sports media, to the New Dome.

Maybe they will.

Or they can do what they've been doing.

I just believe that HCDB could use all the help from his bosses that he can get as he tries to turn around our football fortunes.
I think, as mentioned prior, that there are a LOT of moving parts, and partners involved. These major contractors have subs who want to promote their part in this landmark re-design. It is a challenge to keep every source from leaking in any project of this magnitude.

Personally, I don't think the leaks are negative. It keeps the topic fresh for months for us to discuss. Cuse administration has been very adamant that nothing is finalized, so they will have official reveal (which can get national coverage). Recruits don't know/care about these leaks (and I'll bet the coaches share a bit on how they think the dome could change any way), and ESPN surely hasn't been dripping out coverage to make this a stale story (to my recollection).

It also has effectively provided feedback to the designers and the university. People were generally pumped that it is looking like the dome was going to keep the dome shape, and about the glass look toward the quad. If we did not like the leaked info, you'd be seeing uniform thread-like venom all over the place. That feedback is helpful to the architects and admins.

NJCuse97 said:
So the Dome proposals are being done by a different firm than the one that created this document. There is limited expectation of interaction and there is no way one firm would let the other lock them in. That Dome is very non-descript. You can only look at it for the academic corridor that is being proposed. The rendering is looking at the quad from the "West Campus". I think this is only proposing the blown out glass enclosed concours on the north side. It would connect to Archbold (the Arch) on the far side, but probably ends at the east side, where I believe they will add on some as a means to getting up and down that hill to make an interior connection from West Campus up to the academic corridor.

Yup NJ is on he Nose they are intentionally non description because there is another firm working on it, just like the earlier dome renderings somone pointed out they still had the physics building.

Also its a hot button and showcase issue they want the campus plan to get a little attention that they are making improvements and go into effecf relatively quietly, they want fanfare for the dome plan unveiling and take the criticism on that project separate from the masterplan.

My first thought with the view from this side...the sidewalk concourse outside the dome on the north side looks really small...maybe if the physics building is gone it will help open it up.
Also looks like some sort of ramp/walkway from the dome over to Falk college?

The roof pictured here looks too much like what we have now. Not that impressed. Where is the creativity? If they want to have an excuse to dump the Carrier name, I don't see how this gets it done. Go bold with that roof! Make it distinguished in design.

And where's the color? Still looks completely washed out. Could just be the renderings though

The roof pictured here looks too much like what we have now. Not that impressed. Where is the creativity? If they want to have an excuse to dump the Carrier name, I don't see how this gets it done. Go bold with that roof! Make it distinguished in design.

And where's the color? Still looks completely washed out. Could just be the renderings though
This is the best option because that feeling you get driving up to campus and coming over the hill to see the Dome is unlike any other. I'd be sad to see a domed roof go. Plus with LED orange lighting it would look even cooler.

The renderings for the dome and the expanded areas around it remind me of the Crisler Arena renovations. I'd love to see them put some glass around the top of the Dome on the sides above the seating areas, especially in the endzones.

Crisler-Arena_1.jpg

building-crisler_660.jpg

This is the best option because that feeling you get driving up to campus and coming over the hill to see the Dome is unlike any other. I'd be sad to see a domed roof go. Plus with LED orange lighting it would look even cooler.

I think that roof design looks awesome - it's unique, it keeps the same type of skyline, and as you said, lit in orange it would look fantastic.

I'm excited seeing all of the renderings.

Orijinal...did you see the original images that were leaked last month? Maybe it's the angle or being able to see the big windows on the end, but I think it's pretty awesome and keeps it as a dome! I was slightly disappointed because I thought it would be more like the one in Minnesota that they compared it to, but the more I see it, the more I love it.
Plus I can't imagine calling it anything other than the DOME!!!

The renderings for the dome and the expanded areas around it remind me of the Crisler Arena renovations. I'd love to see them put some glass around the top of the Dome on the sides above the seating areas, especially in the endzones.

I'd love to see some glass between the supports by the upper part of the roof like in Crisler if that's possible!

Some people are forgetting that this new plan is not about just fixing the Dome but is changing the face of the university for the next several decades. The "dribs and drabs" of this information is not final, but a trial balloon to the high rollers who will be putting their names on the side of the buildings.

This...would be so cool to see that lit up Orange at night

"We need to upgrade the Dome"

Sees renderings

"Terrible design, that's stupid, should've done it this way."

Smh

Orijinal...did you see the original images that were leaked last month? Maybe it's the angle or being able to see the big windows on the end, but I think it's pretty awesome and keeps it as a dome! I was slightly disappointed because I thought it would be more like the one in Minnesota that they compared it to, but the more I see it, the more I love it.
Plus I can't imagine calling it anything other than the DOME!!!
I know many people like it because it DOES still look like the Dome. But to me, the design has run its course. I've never been crazy about the "white pillow" look. To me its very bland and doesn't really inspire--and you can see something similar by driving over to Manley. I'd rather have a more modern design for the roof that would REALLY stand out on the skyline.

But I'm sure there are additional expenses associated with that and I do appreciate the fact that Syracuse seems to try to be more fiscally responsible than some other athletic departments when it comes to athletic facilities.

"the NVRC forms part of the central new york regional economic development council’s winning proposal titled ‘central new york: rising from the ground up’. the proposal was one of three selected to receive $500 million USD as part of govenor cuomo’s upstate revitalization initiative (URI). SHoP will now collaborate with university leaders to refine the initial design plans. tentatively planned for the western portion of the waverly block on the syracuse university campus, the NVRC is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2019. see designboom’s previous coverage of the project here."

"the NVRC forms part of the central new york regional economic development council’s winning proposal titled ‘central new york: rising from the ground up’. the proposal was one of three selected to receive $500 million USD as part of govenor cuomo’s upstate revitalization initiative (URI). SHoP will now collaborate with university leaders to refine the initial design plans. tentatively planned for the western portion of the waverly block on the syracuse university campus, the NVRC is scheduled for completion in the spring of 2019. see designboom’s previous coverage of the project here."
I love this picture from that link...

national-veterans-resource-complex-syracuse-university-NVRC-shortlist-david-adjaye-SHoP-snohetta-designboom-03-818x305.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom