It's official: Hop is the next coach | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

It's official: Hop is the next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rocco said:
I like this Coyle guy. He gets it. Last year, this would've read "Jim Hopkins to be the hair apparent for Mike Boeheim".

Nice! This had me in stitches.

ChaseGaewski-10007.jpg

And, in other news, it seems men have walked on the moon.

So, when Hop takes over, who becomes the 'big man coach?' I hope this affords us an opportunity to tab someone who can be more than just an instructor. Someone iconic enough that he becomes an actual recruiting tool. I don't care if he's not an alum. Someone 'the next Thomas Bryant' would be a fool to resist.

Someone 'the next Thomas Bryant' would be a fool to resist.

Replacing Mike - huge shoes to fill. Mike's been recruiting for SU at a high level since he was a player and convinced his high school teammate, Leron Ellis after he left Kentucky to come here. He was ranked 2nd as most feared college recruiters per ESPN after a survey of 200 college coaches. http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2013/07/syracuses_mike_hopkins_ranked.html

I have faith that Mike will choose someone more than adequate to replace the energy, dedication he's always displayed coaching and recruiting. I imagine he's had a plan for quite a while.

So, when Hop takes over, who becomes the 'big man coach?' I hope this affords us an opportunity to tab someone who can be more than just an instructor. Someone iconic enough that he becomes an actual recruiting tool. I don't care if he's not an alum. Someone 'the next Thomas Bryant' would be a fool to resist.

Herman Harried?

I think some obvious things are being missed about the timing.
1) JB had never before given a timeline for retiring. Hard to make a definitive announcement and not be seen as pushing the HOF coach out the door.
2) We had no permanent AD when JB made his announcement. This chancellor would not make this decision for an incoming AD, at least not without his input.

Herman Harried?

Harried was a player when i was at school there. The "Helicopter" thing was fun. But, even if he's a skilled coach now, I'd still prefer someone with a name and reputation that would be impactful for a current high school kid. I have no idea who that might be. But, it's an opportunity at this point to add someone to the staff that a kid like Bryant would recognize, be impressed by... someone he would consider a 'coup' to be able to work with him. Kinda like how it's a 'thing' to go work with Olajuwon. A recruiting incentive that almost becomes more important to a C or PF than even the head coach. Best case scenario would have been if DC had shown some interest in coaching. At this point, though, it should prolly be someone (much) more recent. Are there any recently-retired NBA forwards or centers with championship rings who want to make this a first step in a coaching career? Oy. This is seeming more and more unlikely with every word i type... Most guys would probably go back to their alma maters first.

Harried was a player when i was at school there. The "Helicopter" thing was fun. But, even if he's a skilled coach now, I'd still prefer someone with a name and reputation that would be impactful for a current high school kid. I have no idea who that might be. But, it's an opportunity at this point to add someone to the staff that a kid like Bryant would recognize, be impressed by... someone he would consider a 'coup' to be able to work with him. Kinda like how it's a 'thing' to go work with Olajuwon. A recruiting incentive that almost becomes more important to a C or PF than even the head coach. Best case scenario would have been if DC had shown some interest in coaching. At this point, though, it should prolly be someone (much) more recent. Are there any recently-retired NBA forwards or centers with championship rings who want to make this a first step in a coaching career? Oy. This is seeming more and more unlikely with every word i type... Most guys would probably go back to their alma maters first.
I kinda get what you're saying, but how many 'name' coaches are hired as assistants? If you exclude those that have failed and been fired or gotten in trouble with the NCAA, the number is probably really small.

But, it's an opportunity at this point to add someone to the staff that a kid like Bryant would recognize, be impressed by... someone he would consider a 'coup' to be able to work with him.

That didn't seem to be a requirement for Bryant looking at Indiana's staff.
Coaches and Staff
Tom Crean - Head Coach
Tim Buckley - Associate Head Coach
Chuck Martin - Assistant Coach
Rob Judson - Director of Basketball Operations
Tim Garl - Athletic Trainer
Reggie Golson - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Jayd Grossman - Assistant Athletic Director-Basketball Administration

Give Hopkins #44 and be done with it.

Harried was a player when i was at school there. The "Helicopter" thing was fun. But, even if he's a skilled coach now, I'd still prefer someone with a name and reputation that would be impactful for a current high school kid.

Harried is very well respected in the High School circles in MD. SU could do much worse than Herman. Much, much worse.

This is clearly from left field, but how about Baye Keita? I'm aware he was not the most skilled player, but he'd be a great representative of the university, was a coach on the court and has "teaching" aspirations.

This is clearly from left field, but how about Baye Keita? I'm aware he was not the most skilled player, but he'd be a great representative of the university, was a coach on the court and has "teaching" aspirations.

I imagine he'd be considered for a grad assistant spot someday - not a coaching spot. Figure he has a few years left to make money overseas and maybe then...?

Antiprodigy said:
Harried is very well respected in the High School circles in MD. SU could do much worse than Herman. Much, much worse.

Very well respected and a very good coach. I've suggested him a couple times in the past. But I've been told he might not be very good on the recruiting trail. Not very outgoing and was somewhat compared to Louis Orr in that respect.

That didn't seem to be a requirement for Bryant looking at Indiana's staff.
Coaches and Staff
Tom Crean - Head Coach
Tim Buckley - Associate Head Coach
Chuck Martin - Assistant Coach
Rob Judson - Director of Basketball Operations
Tim Garl - Athletic Trainer
Reggie Golson - Assistant Strength and Conditioning Coach
Jayd Grossman - Assistant Athletic Director-Basketball Administration

I'm not suggesting we can't sign a 5-star without 'Coach X-Factor.' I'm suggesting that, perhaps, in my fantasy world, if we had had Coach X-Factor, it would have swung Bryant our way. I've already acknowledged i have no idea who this person could be, and that these types don't grow on trees. I'm just wishing. Like, when Kevin Garnett retires in a year or so, and wants to get into coaching... How bad-ass would it be to say to a 5-star PF or C recruit that he will learn under the tutelage of KG? Mind you, I despise Garnett... His was just the first name I thought of, when trying to come up with a recently retired/about-to-retire big man+big name, and one who doesn't have a college affiliation... Oh, and plus, he'll have been used to living on the tundra. Yeah, they aren't growing on trees.

Roosevelt Bouie would be an excellent big man coach. Don't believe he's considered the best fit, though.

Based on historical evidence, Jason Hart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom