It's official: Hop is the next coach | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

It's official: Hop is the next coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome news! I really think Hopkins is going to do wonders. Deff more energy than Jimmy. Once we get through these BS sanctions, Syracuse will be back at the top. I even think we will make a run at the final four these next few years.

We really need to get off the "SU assistants have to be alums" bandwagon. Here's my guess as to what will happen. And first of all, by the time Hop takes over, Red Autry may leave to become a HC elsewhere. Maybe Hop has to hire two assistants. In any case, Hop is super-connected in the world of recruiting, as was Troy Weaver. And when Weaver left SU, he suggested Rob Murphy, who was midwest-based for his entire career. He had no connection to SU at all. But he worked out pretty well. My guess is that Hop has a list of guys who he knows are good recruiters who aren't necessarily big names but he would like to hire, regardless of where they went to school.

Kind of like Shafer.

We really need to get off the "SU assistants have to be alums" bandwagon. Here's my guess as to what will happen. And first of all, by the time Hop takes over, Red Autry may leave to become a HC elsewhere. Maybe Hop has to hire two assistants. In any case, Hop is super-connected in the world of recruiting, as was Troy Weaver. And when Weaver left SU, he suggested Rob Murphy, who was midwest-based for his entire career. He had no connection to SU at all. But he worked out pretty well. My guess is that Hop has a list of guys who he knows are good recruiters who aren't necessarily big names but he would like to hire, regardless of where they went to school.

Kind of like Shafer.
I agree that an SU degree should not be a requirement. That being said, I know Mike is really tight with Allen Griffin. He named one of his sons after him.

He would have to be a strong candidate, especially if Adrian left to become a head coach. AG has been an assistant at Dayton the past 4 years and has also coached at St Francis and Providence (and SU as a GA).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom