JB Presser | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JB Presser

It’s easy to say that with no proof. In fact you can go back to last late winter and a couple people here who are pretty knowledgeable saying Jimmy was not coming here. It’s one thing to “think” something “might” happen and for it to happen. Q leaving had nothing to do with the “possibility” Jimmy “might” come here. Marek taking his degree and going back to Europe had nothing to do with the “possibility” Jimmy was coming here.
The whole thing is a mess. We're NIT bound and on our way to at least a dozen losses. And the ACC isn't that good this year. We're not even the best team in the state which year in and year out is a pretty low bar to climb.

I agree on the three guard lineup. I think it makes us better defensively up top, and can Buddy rebound any worse than Jimmy at the 3? I don’t think so.

I’m not saying using it for long stretches, but give it a chance and you might get a jump start to your offense.

Sy, Joe, Buddy, Cole, Jessie.

I agree and would love to see this for 10 minutes or so a game. This would mean Jimmy sits and I am not sure that is going to happen. Have to do something and hope the extra practices can solve some issues.

Cuse!

Don't you think Symir warranted at least a few minutes in the 2H? With the departing players you referenced, don't you think they saw what was coming in terms of playing time etc and how it would be further complicated with another Boeheim in the mix?

Yes, I do think Symir should have had a run in the 2nd half. Buddy was grinding out buckets, though. He was the one who was cold from 3, and you probably could have subbed for him with about 12 minutes left in the game, and brought in Symir. That would have been a good spot to give Buddy a blow.

That’s the thing - we aren’t fixing the defense or rebounding. Let’s just get better on O. At least give it a shot.

That's not quite fair. We are getting better on the boards, and he has introduced the 1-3-1 as an option to the 2-3. He's NEVER done that before. Coaching is taking place. Joe hasn't been undressed by opposing teams' presses the last few games. Buddy is in the dumps, but the rest of the team is doing pretty well.

Very convenient that they left though. Opened up space for Jimmy B to get PT.

Conspiracy theories are a wonderful thing. This really sounds like JB wanting Q to leave to make room for Jimmy.

"He's a tremendous player," Boeheim said during an NCAA Tournament press conference on Wednesday. "I think his shooting has gotten significantly better. He, obviously, helps us inside tremendously, but he helps our team when he can make a perimeter shot too. It's a big boost for us. He's not there yet, but I think he's going to be a really, really good shooter. He's moving in that direction, it's just not quite there yet. I remember Demetris Nichols when he was younger he shot about 17 or 18 percent and he ended up shooting 38 or 40 percent from the three after he got a couple years in. I really think Quincy's a tremendous player. He's had a tremendous year rebounding wise. Defensively he's gotten better every game. He can even get better around the basket, going to the basket, because he didn't do that. He's just done that since he's been with us. Coach Autry's really worked hard with him and he's gotten better. He's got a huge upside in terms of being able to get to the basket, being around the basket. His three point shooting will get significantly better in time. He's had a great year but he's got a lot more in him. He can be an All-American player if he just keeps doing what he's doing."

Actual quotes from JB here...

”We're not stopping people, really, that are good offenses. We've got to be able to stop people. We adjusted, went into Jimmy, he scores. Went into Jesse, he missed a dunk then whatever happened on Jimmy's drive. We missed a couple in there.”

Reality: Jimmy was 5 for 14. Jesse was 6 for 7. When you say “we missed a couple”, the ”we” is named Jimmy. Not Jesse.

"They switched on him (Joe) a lot. When they went small they switched so the pick and roll wasn't there with him. So we went with Buddy and Cole and Jimmy inside. So he didn't get a lot of looks in the second half. He gets a lot off the screens from the five. When they went small, they over there and switched it. He wasn't as effective."

i must have missed the rule that Joe is bound to the point guard position. if only there was some way when they went small that we could get the ball in Joe’s hands to shoot not off the dribble. Oh well, maybe one day the rules will change

Conspiracy theories are a wonderful thing. This really sounds like JB wanting Q to leave to make room for Jimmy.

"He's a tremendous player," Boeheim said during an NCAA Tournament press conference on Wednesday. "I think his shooting has gotten significantly better. He, obviously, helps us inside tremendously, but he helps our team when he can make a perimeter shot too. It's a big boost for us. He's not there yet, but I think he's going to be a really, really good shooter. He's moving in that direction, it's just not quite there yet. I remember Demetris Nichols when he was younger he shot about 17 or 18 percent and he ended up shooting 38 or 40 percent from the three after he got a couple years in. I really think Quincy's a tremendous player. He's had a tremendous year rebounding wise. Defensively he's gotten better every game. He can even get better around the basket, going to the basket, because he didn't do that. He's just done that since he's been with us. Coach Autry's really worked hard with him and he's gotten better. He's got a huge upside in terms of being able to get to the basket, being around the basket. His three point shooting will get significantly better in time. He's had a great year but he's got a lot more in him. He can be an All-American player if he just keeps doing what he's doing."

Agreed. They had a plan for Quincy. He just wasn't convinced.

Seems exhausting trying to figure out ways to defend him at this point.
Those tweets were cut-and-paste lies, plain and simple. The words said were nothing like what was featured in the media. Fair is fair, and it just isn’t fair to attribute something to someone that’s both inaccurate and devoid of context. JB gives enough stuff to focus on in his pressers w/out having to manufacture something disingenuous. It’s BS journalism- 101.

Last edited:
fwiw, while I agree it does seem convenient in regards to Q. I think he was 100 percent going pro and then got the feedback and went from there.

Braswell specfically, someone who was Buddy’s roommate, I do wonder what he knew

Last edited:
That's not quite fair. We are getting better on the boards, and he has introduced the 1-3-1 as an option to the 2-3. He's NEVER done that before. Coaching is taking place. Joe hasn't been undressed by opposing teams' presses the last few games. Buddy is in the dumps, but the rest of the team is doing pretty well.

I don’t think JB isn’t coaching. I just think switching it up, while definitely having an impact in the immediate, is a short term help in terms of making the other team at least have to look at something different. All good. But we aren’t good on defense in any set. We’re kind of stomping out a cigarette in the middle of a forest fire on D there. Sure, it helps, but… ya know, we just aren’t going to be good on D.

And I don’t think we are good at rebounding, period. Short term upticks aside that will help of course, it’s just not something where we’ll level up at, imo, consistently. Especially if it means Cole has to play a ton of minutes when his shots aren’t falling.

I’d rather focus on the offense since that was how this team was built. I was ready for bad D.

To each their own, but give me Symir and Joe and Buddy out the gate and let’s start letting the shots fly that way. Let’s go outside in. Let’s even see if we can push tempo a bit.

New theory on why he doesn’t pick on his kids or swider - he really targets players he doesn’t think gave 100% effort either physically or mentally. Just like any father if the kid gives 100% you can’t fault them for not being physically better athlete. Only thing you can coach/parent is effort and making good choices - the effort is always there for these guys and he rips Benny and/or Jesse for not hustling or giving 100% effort. Girard does take defensive plays ‘off’ at times so you can poke holes in this but generally the B-bros / swider always give effort and he can’t criticize them for being a step slower then competition

He wasn’t convinced he would be allowed to play more on the perimeter and shoot 3’s. But it had nothing to do with Jimmy.

New theory on why he doesn’t pick on his kids or swider - he really targets players he doesn’t think gave 100% effort either physically or mentally. Just like any father if the kid gives 100% you can’t fault them for not being physically better athlete. Only thing you can coach/parent is effort and making good choices - the effort is always there for these guys and he rips Benny and/or Jesse for not hustling or giving 100% effort. Girard does take defensive plays ‘off’ at times so you can poke holes in this but generally the B-bros / swider always give effort and he can’t criticize them for being a step slower then competition
Swider ended the game with some of the dumbest successive plays that nailed the door shut on any chance of comeback... The poor shot selection then kicking the ball out of bounds to give the Hoyas another 20 secs to burn late in the clock, etc..

Basketball IQ should also count... Especially for uperclassmen starters with experience that should know better.

People make mistakes on teams, even veterans. It's ok to acknowledge it when it happens.

I’ve seen plenty of times on D where Buddy doesn’t give full effort.

that spin move yesterday would be a great example

Swider ended the game with some of the dumbest successive plays that nailed the door shut on any chance of comeback... The poor shot selection then kicking the ball out of bounds to give the Hoyas another 20 secs to burn late in the clock, etc..

Basketball IQ should also count... Especially for uperclassmen starters with experience that should know better.

People make mistakes on teams, even veterans. It's ok to acknowledge it when it happens.
The kick was unfortunate but do you honestly think it’s possible to say ‘hey I better not stick my leg out’ in a split second like that?

I’ve seen plenty of times on D where Buddy doesn’t give full effort.

that spin move yesterday would be a great example
We're a very poor defensive team that can't defend the three. It starts (although not limited to) with the top of the zone. Neither Buddy nor Joe are anywhere near as effective on D as guys we've had in that role in the past. Slow and inactive is not going to get it done. Plus neither guy gives us much help on the defensive boards.

The kick was unfortunate but do you honestly think it’s possible to say ‘hey I better not stick my leg out’ in a split second like that?

It's something you don't do in that situation.

A young player forgivable. An older player with experience, not so much. But I hear you on the split second reaction.

It was more the combined poor shot on the other end then the kick out bounds when the shot clock running out... Either one by themselves was just grrrrr whatevs... Back to back was w-t-f. Zero awareness.

They're in pretty much the same position, guarding against the 3 from the wing.

They always play high in Boeheim's 2-3, too, for at least the last 10 years.
Yeah yeah yeah, it was mostly a joke. They are being asked to cover a bit more than they used to though.

It's something you don't do in that situation.

A young player forgivable. An older player with experience, not so much. But I hear you on the split second reaction.

It was more the combined poor shot on the other end then the kick out bounds when the shot clock running out... Either one by themselves was just grrrrr whatevs... Back to back was w-t-f. Zero awareness.
I doubt Boeheim had any problem with Swider taking a catch and shoot three. That's probably exactly the type of shot he wants him taking. He just missed it, as he has most of the season unfortunately.

I doubt Boeheim had any problem with Swider taking a catch and shoot three. That's probably exactly the type of shot he wants him taking. He just missed it, as he has most of the season unfortunately.

Yeah, Swider's not very consistent at all right now and it was more that he not only took the shot but wasn't entirely squared up when he did it. Girard had to to do the same thing on the final shot, but it was already a two-possession game by then and final seconds... Would have liked to see girard get swider's shot as well, since he's been our hottest shooter and game was on the line.

To those who want to say this, that he favors his kids, you have to acknowledge that Jimmy has been better than Benny, and Symir has seemed at times like he wasn't good enough to play the role they have assigned to him. So, who else are we going to play?

All our options from last year (Braswell, Woody, Richmond) are gone. If we had those guys with this team, we'd be outstanding.
Even just having Richmond and an experienced Braswell would have been huge. That’s on JB for not figuring out how to make them happy and getting them to return.

The offense ran so well with symir out there in the first half. And Benny started to get a tiny bit of swagger going. Then...the second half they didn't see the floor. I don't get it. You can't tell me that Symir doesn't have the conditioning to play more than 5 minutes.
Not playing Symir and Benny in the second half is the height of lunacy and may have been our downfall against Gtown. The team came out flat in the second half, so you need to bring in a sub and see what he can do. That’s what Kadary gave us last year—and later in the season Braswell and Jessie. If the player Fs up, then sit him down. But both Symir and Benny proved in the first half that they should be playing in the second, at least for a few minutes. I think starters need to rest for a few minutes anyways, less due to physical rigors and more to mentally recharge.

Very convenient that they left though. Opened up space for Jimmy B to get PT.
And frankly, all of them were insecure enough to know they weren't going to be good eniough to get court time. Braswell is the real queston mark because JB liked him. The others, I guess they weren't good enough to do much where they went.

Even just having Richmond and an experienced Braswell would have been huge. That’s on JB for not figuring out how to make them happy and getting them to return.
I got the feeling he wasn't totally disappointed that Richmond left. Braswell, yes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom