JB Presser | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

JB Presser

So you're cool with selectively throwing players under the bus and not consistently holding all of your players to account? And btw what is the point of throwing ANY of your players under the bus? Do it behind closed doors.
I could not hear the question but it seemed to be about Jesse. He answered

I could not hear the question but it seemed to be about Jesse. He answered
Not talking about just this one instance when it comes to holding all his players to account. Btw he expounded way beyond answering a question. He got in several shots. Thought that was blindingly obvious, no?

It’s amazing. It’s like listening to the loud drunk guy at the end of the bar, but multiplied by a factor in ten+. The tantrums on here are embarrassing to a fan base. Boeheim has been Boeheim for a long time. He is rude, intolerant of dissent, and impolitic. He also knows more about the game than anyone on this board. Enjoy the Hall of Famer while you can. Who knows how hat happens next.

We all said this last year about Buddy. The only difference being there were no fans at the games, so he got a pass when he was playing like garbage.
And again, it's not about the level of play so much as JB's refusal to sub and play someone else even when Buddy/Jimmy and adopted son JG3, are not playing well.
He refused to do so last year, and he will not do it this year. Rinse and repeat.
Did you happen to catch the tournament last year? Just curious.

Did you happen to catch the tournament last year? Just curious.
And...what's your point?
Buddy was phenomenal during the postseason last year, but that still doesn't justify his playing 38 minutes per game. Heck, Melo, DC, and numerous other SU greats didn't get that much time, especially when they were hot garbage on defense and missing a ton of shots. JB sat them down, yet Buddy hardly ever sits. And if the comeback is that there's not enough talent behind him to sit, then who's fault is that?
Buddy playing less improves the TEAM in so many different ways, and I could say the same about Joe, Cole, etc. I'm a proponent of DEVELOPING a bench, and I've always hated JB's "6-men and a cloud of dust" short bench philosophy. IMHO, it leads to players wearing out and in the long run, leads to squads that are limited and inevitably fall short of their goals, again...JMO.
JB has become even more rigid these last couple of years with this, where even the most promising players are forced to sit because they're "not ready". Jesse was great at times last year, but because the stubborn old man had a particular role for him, then he wasn't gonna play...no matter how bruised and battered Marek and the team were throughout the season.
I'm rooting for Buddy to get hot again, and I hope and expect we'll probably do damage should we get into the dance. But that doesn't cancel a flawed philosophy that has limited numerous teams that've been under JB over the years. JMHO <End rant>

Last edited:
And...what's your point?
Buddy was phenomenal during the postseason last year, but that still doesn't justify his playing 38 minutes per game. Heck, Melo, DC, and numerous other SU greats didn't get that much time, especially when they were hot garbage on defense and missing a ton of shots. JB sat them down, yet Buddy hardly ever sits. And if the comeback is that there's not enough talent behind him to sit, then who's fault is that?
Buddy playing less improves the TEAM in so many different ways, and I could say the same about Joe, Cole, etc. I'm a proponent of DEVELOPING a bench, and I've always hated JB's "6-men and a cloud of dust" short bench philosophy. IMHO, it leads to players wearing out and in the long run, leads to squads that are limited and inevitably fall short of their goals, IMO.
JB has become even more rigid these last couple of years with this, where even the most promising players are forced to sit because they're "not ready". Jesse was great at times last year, but because the stubborn old man had a particular role for him, then he wasn't gonna play...no matter how bruised and battered Marek and the team were throughout the season.
I'm rooting for Buddy to get hot again, and I hope and expect we'll probably do damage should we get into the dance. But that doesn't cancel a flawed philosophy that has limited numerous teams that've been under JB over the years. JMHO <End rant>

Terrific post!

Where we are as a program is embarrassing. I don't think there is a person on this board who doesn't respect what Jim has done here. However, enough is enough, my gawd. Jim needs to move on before things REALLY get bad.
I think it is time for Jim to retire too. Not because he is not doing the job, and not because he is no longer capable or knowledeable of todays game. He needs to retire simply because his departure soon is inevitable, and the program must move on in my opinion the sooner the better.

Jimmy playing 35+ mins a game with zero criticism is going to lead to chaos from the fanbase by mid January. JB doesn't have a real thick skin when it comes to criticism of Buddy, I can only imagine how he's going to take the Jimmy stuff. This is gonna get Ugly
I know what you’re saying but I want to be clear my specific criticism of buddy and some other fans were actually just saying he’s a good player but when he’s struggling take them out don’t let him go 2 for 15. He stated for three years he had no other two guard on the roster which was so untrue Griffin could’ve played the two when body was struggling Joe could’ve played the two and before that huge could’ve played the two and then what do you know we would’ve another rebounder

And...what's your point?
Buddy playing less improves the TEAM in so many different ways, and I could say the same about Joe, Cole, etc. I'm a proponent of DEVELOPING a bench, and I've always hated JB's "6-men and a cloud of dust" short bench philosophy. IMHO, it leads to players wearing out and in the long run, leads to squads that are limited and inevitably fall short of their goals, IMO.
My point is a simple one. Without a coach sticking by him through the tough times, does the tournament performance occur? So the criticism might be does he give the same support to every player? Does any coach. The tournament proved he was right to stick by him. Coaching is tough. Players get tired. Substitution is disruptive and cause discontinuity. Each coach finds a balance. Our coach has been VERY successful. No. He has not been more rigid about it. It has always been this way. Am I blind. No. Last year if he came out in man in the last game of the ACC tournament, we win. It isn’t his way.

It’s easy to say that with no proof. In fact you can go back to last late winter and a couple people here who are pretty knowledgeable saying Jimmy was not coming here. It’s one thing to “think” something “might” happen and for it to happen. Q leaving had nothing to do with the “possibility” Jimmy “might” come here. Marek taking his degree and going back to Europe had nothing to do with the “possibility” Jimmy was coming here.
Your argument works both ways - you think there is no connection, but you also have no proof.

Your argument works both ways - you think there is no connection, but you also have no proof.

Except timing and JBs words.

Well, if you think that is proof, then we have two different understandings of the word.
Oh and Q’s words and the style of play he is using at Oregon. And also the words of reputable people who might have insight versus random internet people who just say things. You’ll also have to explain to me how your timeline works.

Oh and Q’s words and the style of play he is using at Oregon. And also the words of reputable people who might have insight versus random internet people who just say things. You’ll also have to explain to me how your timeline works.
I've made my point; you don't have proof for your opinion just like the other side doesn't have proof for their opinion.

My point is a simple one. Without a coach sticking by him through the tough times, does the tournament performance occur? So the criticism might be does he give the same support to every player? Does any coach. The tournament proved he was right to stick by him. Coaching is tough. Players get tired. Substitution is disruptive and cause discontinuity. Each coach finds a balance. Our coach has been VERY successful. No. He has not been more rigid about it. It has always been this way. Am I blind. No. Last year if he came out in man in the last game of the ACC tournament, we win. It isn’t his way.
Fair enough, but I disagree that it’s always been his way. In seasons past JB would readily yank guys who didn’t perform on defense. That ended last year. In the 40 years I’ve watched him he’d NEVER, as far as i can remember, NEVER sat a player who was producing more, especially on defense, (hint; rhymes w/ Schmadary, or “player who’s currently tearing apart Rutgers on National Tv), for another player who was weak on D and struggling. Ever.
Last year was the first time I witnessed JB willingly do that. He was bailed out by the S16 run, but the consequences played out in the portal. We are somewhat where we are today, by that choice. As the year plays itself out, we’ll see what affect that has on the rest of this year as well.
And let me add, I love Buddy/JG3…but I think they’re being mismanaged to the detriment of the team. JMHO

Last edited:
Jimmy playing 35+ mins a game with zero criticism is going to lead to chaos from the fanbase by mid January. JB doesn't have a real thick skin when it comes to criticism of Buddy, I can only imagine how he's going to take the Jimmy stuff. This is gonna get Ugly
Hear me out and I’ve said this before.
Boeheim is always complaining “our guys are worn down”, “we don’t have a bench”, etc…

Well if our guys are worn down sub them out and play the bench? Oh we don’t have a bench? Isn’t literally your job as the head basketball coach to
1) develop players so we have a bench
2) if you see we might have a weak bench in the off-season, idk recruit players with this new thing called the transfer portal to add more players to the team that would upgrade our bench?

I’m so sickkk of his press conferences, he seems so out of touch. Have the problems are problems because of the damn coaching staff and then Boeheim blames the players.

Our players didn’t play well? We had bad adjustments or didn’t adjust at all? We are too slow? Too unathletic so we get out rebounded? Not very good on defense? Or my personal favorite, we just aren’t very good right now…

All of these damn things coaches have control over and it’s literally their job to make sure these things are fixed or aren’t problems. “We just aren’t very good right now” is something Boeheim loves to say, it’s your damn job to make us good so are you saying you aren’t very good at your job anymore cause that’s a serious topic of discussion right now.
Vonn Read the women's coach presses for 40 minutes, plays 6 people they run the floor on fast breaks, get their hands on passes in the zone. Pressure all 3 point shooters, are undersized but battle for rebounds.
They laugh and enjoy the game, had 26 assists on 34 made baskets.
3 of their starters shoot over 40% from 3, the 4th shoots 36%. The starters are shooting over 80% from the free throw line. They are all fast, and turn defense lnto offense, always looking for a good shot.

I’ve seen plenty of times on D where Buddy doesn’t give full effort.

that spin move yesterday would be a great example
Worrying about the guy trying to pick him instead of stopping the guard drive straight in for a layup was another.

And I’m still waiting for maximum effort from Buddy on loose balls and rebounds

It’s amazing. It’s like listening to the loud drunk guy at the end of the bar, but multiplied by a factor in ten+. The tantrums on here are embarrassing to a fan base. Boeheim has been Boeheim for a long time. He is rude, intolerant of dissent, and impolitic. He also knows more about the game than anyone on this board. Enjoy the Hall of Famer while you can. Who knows how hat happens next.
You think the best talent wants to play for angry grandpa?

I've made my point; you don't have proof for your opinion just like the other side doesn't have proof for their opinion.

So you can’t explain your timeline.

Yeah, Swider's not very consistent at all right now and it was more that he not only took the shot but wasn't entirely squared up when he did it. Girard had to to do the same thing on the final shot, but it was already a two-possession game by then and final seconds... Would have liked to see girard get swider's shot as well, since he's been our hottest shooter and game was on the line.
I definitely notice Swider seems to be rushing his shot half the time. They aren’t actually bad looks but he’s just rushing it.

You think the best talent wants to play for angry grandpa?
I think the best talent has rarely been at play for Cuse. Pearl, Owens, and a handful. We have created a decades long approach of overachieving with second tier talent and an occasional high school superstar. That is on our coach. That also means he has, to a degree, adapted to what is available and not exclusively recruited to a system. A handful of schools have the luxury of attracting top tier talent who also fit a system. Hindsight creates a distorted view of our historical recruiting. Kids are tough. They expect instant gratification and are surrounded by people who enable and reinforce their right to immediate play, success and reward. I would send my kid to grumpy grandpa in a heartbeat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom