Jesse Edwards Out For The Season | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards Out For The Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had lost to UNC by 13 at home 12 days before. I'll be we were double digit underdogs to them, too.
Sure...but you are a numbers guy. I'll take my chances against a team winning outright twice in a row as double digit dogs. I bet you would as well. COULD it have happened. Yep. The odds were greatly against us, moreso than what gets represented.

I think Frank may be as good a defender as Jesse and a better rebounder. The loss is more on offense. Their numbers per 40 minutes:

Jesse 17.3p 9.3r 1.5a 1.6s 4.0b = 33.7+, 3.0mfg 2.5mft 1.8to 5.4pf = 12.7- = 21.0NP
Frank 9.3p 9.8r 0.5a 1.0s 1.0b = 21.6+, 1.9mfg 1.9mft 1.4to 6.1pf = 10.8- = 10.8NP

Frank's even more likely to foul out, which is why who's playing behind him is huge. He'll score less. He's as good on the boards but isn't the shot-blocker Jesse is and doesn't get as many steals. But he seems very active inside to me.
I heard a stat a couple of weeks ago that Frank actually allowed a lower shooting percentage inside and the team had a lower points allowed per 100 possessions when he was in.

I think this makes it more likely we run it back next year with all the Boeheims. Don’t shoot the messenger.
Why?

Buddy’s been consistent.
Jimmy’s appeal hasn’t even be approved.

OMFG, this is the worst news imaginable. Well, there goes the season and any hope of winning some of these tough games. They may struggle to finish above .500 now.

Sure, Jimmy is no star but he can play. He shoots 48% for 2s, 38% for 3s, 13.5 ppg, and 6 boards per game. It's not like we have a player on the bench who can replace that. So Frank will start in place of Jesse and then Frank will play center with both in. Jimmy will play C when Frank is out (Symir subs for him) and no other C is in. Jimmy is a solid player when he plays controlled. Frank can dunk and play defense.

That conclusion certainly isn't supported by the data or empirical evidence.

I assume that your per 40 calculations are adjusted for minutes played. Jesse is a plus defender who blocks ~3bpg, and 4 per 40. Frank blocks 1 per 40. Jesse is the only defender in our primary rotation who appears to be elite, and his ability to block shots and alter ones he doesn't get helps to compensate for the limitations of his teammates.

And blocks certainly don't tell the full story with respect to defense. We just saw in the last game what happens when Jesse isn't playing, and Frank is. BC attacked the rim with impunity, and did a ton of damage down low. That doesn't happen against Jesse.

Now, it is possible that playing more will enable Frank to get more blocks, but again -- if your data is already adjusted, then the difference there between the two is stark.

I can get behind the notion that they are comparable on the glass. I'd also expect Frank to elevate his scoring a bit, with more PT and the ability to not to worry about getting pulled should be good for his confidence out there.

I just thought Frank was very active on defense. Sometimes there are too many guys getting into the paint with the ball for the center to shut them down. And defense isn't well represented in box scores. Blocks and steals are big plays but they don't measure the sneaker-sneaker stuff.

Isn’t that exactly what happened? Edwards was becoming an absolute star and his play had turned us into a very good team.

He has been awesome all season and our MVP. He’s been consistent barring foul trouble. The reason we won the last few games is that two of the games we shot over 50% from the floor and three and last game Cole stepped up and BC couldn’t hit water falling out of a boat.

Sure, Jimmy is no star but he can play. He shoots 48% for 2s, 38% for 3s, 13.5 ppg, and 6 boards per game. It's not like we have a player on the bench who can replace that. So Frank will start in place of Jesse and then Frank will play center with both in. Jimmy will play C when Frank is out (Symir subs for him) and no other C is in. Jimmy is a solid player when he plays controlled. Frank can dunk and play defense.

Jimmy is arguably the worst defender on the team.

Jimmy at C gives us no rim protection.
He isn’t a C.

He can score on offense. His defense isn’t great and that is our biggest issue.

I just thought Frank was very active on defense. Sometimes there are too many guys getting into the paint with the ball for the center to shut them down. And defense isn't well represented in box scores. Blocks and steals are big plays but they don't measure the sneaker-sneaker stuff.

Sure -- but that doesn't seem to happen when Jesse is in the game. In no small part to him being a more imposing presence on defense, blocks and otherwise.

OK, frank has fouled out. Bourama game us 5 minutes but his knees are aching. In order, which of our forwards do you want in there?

My list:

John Bol, who has center size and strength and I thought was recruited as one.

Benny - Stronger and more athletic than Jimmy or Cole.

Jimmy - Been there, done that, if not very well.

Cole - Good size and can rebound but not very mobile defensively.

Last edited:
Jimmy at C gives us no rim protection.
He isn’t a C.

He can score on offense. His defense isn’t great and that is our biggest issue.
Ok...so when Jimmy is in and Frank is out, who plays center? Ajok? Williams? Of course Jimmy is not a center but neither was Marek. one of the five on the court has to play that position.

OK, frank has fouled out. Bourama game us 5 minutes but his knees are aching. In order, which of our forwards do you want in there?

My list:

John Bol, who has center size and strength and I tho9ught was recruited as one.

I think John Bol will play more and it makes sense with Jesse out for good... but they have no good option for replacing Jesse. Frank is the best option but if Frank is out, maybe, maybe, maybe, try out Williams. He can at least play defense and maybe he will show us some dunking ability.

My list:

John Bol, who has center size and strength and I tho9ught was recruited as one.

I think you give Benny a shot and tell him if he sees him standing still he's out.

JBA next.

Nobody is complaining about Jimmy’s offense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom