Jesse Edwards Out For The Season | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Jesse Edwards Out For The Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dead serious here... if the over/under for the rest of the season was 2 points for JBA, would you take the over?

Yes. he's got 3 points in 36 minutes so far and he may have to play more than that the rest of the way.

JB is going to imply that this team was tournament bound before the Edwards injury. Book it.

Much like he intimates that the Elijah Hughes 2020 squad would have made a deep run in the ACC tournament

They might have, off the UNC game. And JB isn't going to claim anything for this team other than what they accomplished to date. 13-11 is 13-11.

I’d start SY JG Buddy Cole and Frank. I know it won’t happen but that’s what I would do.

Compared to what? Between 1976 and Arinze's injury (35 years) we had 2 scoped knees to Louis Orr and Leo Rautins. They didn't miss much time. Since AO there's been quite a few. I'd have to look it up but Devo and of course Sidibe every year come to mind.
Chukwu couldn't play a bunch of games because of eye surgery, back and knee issues, Coleman couldn't play because he was always injured. Howard Washington had a stroke. McCullough blew his knee out early. Braswell was had recurring leg issues. Frank Howard had abdominal surgery ...

ETA: and it becomes a bigger problem when there's no depth due to a mis-managed roster where the backups are either projects or walk-ons. This year is actually a bit of an exception for the 5 since Frank seems fairly capable. This season it's the guards playing without a net.

Chukwu couldn't play a bunch of games because of eye surgery, back and knee issues, Coleman couldn't play because he was always injured. Howard Washington had a stroke. McCullough blew his knee out early. Braswell was had recurring leg issues. Frank Howard had abdominal surgery ...
Thanks. More dementia.

IF, the coaches can come up with a game plan and manage to get that win at VT, the team then has an entire week to practice the new sets. They then would play 2 of the weaker teams in the league at home which would be good test to see if they can compete. Going to have to work over time.

Well, what's Sidibe been up to?
I know he has had a bad knee/swelling etc.
Can he not give us 5 minutes at the end of the first half?

If not, then why did JB make it a point to get Sid back last spring?

Syracuse center is the defense against the dark arts instructor.

: pushes glasses up nose, takes hit from inhaler, hurts self:
Oh look at you, making a pop culture reference that isn't 40 years old.

I'm old, OK!

Sucks on every level. But next man up.

Frank now moves into the starting lineup. He isn't the same kind of defensive presence that Jesse was, but he'll get a massive dose of PT now.

I have to assume that JBA also garners more time.

Time to leap from the nest, baby birds.

I think Frank may be as good a defender as Jesse and a better rebounder. The loss is more on offense. Their numbers per 40 minutes:

Jesse 17.3p 9.3r 1.5a 1.6s 4.0b = 33.7+, 3.0mfg 2.5mft 1.8to 5.4pf = 12.7- = 21.0NP
Frank 9.3p 9.8r 0.5a 1.0s 1.0b = 21.6+, 1.9mfg 1.9mft 1.4to 6.1pf = 10.8- = 10.8NP

Frank's even more likely to foul out, which is why who's playing behind him is huge. He'll score less. He's as good on the boards but isn't the shot-blocker Jesse is and doesn't get as many steals. But he seems very active inside to me.

I think Frank may be as good a defender as Jesse and a better rebounder. The loss is more on offense. Their numbers per 40 minutes:

Jesse 17.3p 9.3r 1.5a 1.6s 4.0b = 33.7+, 3.0mfg 2.5mft 1.8to 5.4pf = 12.7- = 21.0NP
Frank 9.3p 9.8r 0.5a 1.0s 1.0b = 21.6+, 1.9mfg 1.9mft 1.4to 6.1pf = 10.8- = 10.8NP

Frank's even more likely to foul out, which is why who's playing behind him is huge. He'll score less. He's as good on the boards but isn't the shot-blocker Jesse is and doesn't get as many steals. But he seems very active inside to me.
Then they have to hit 3 more 3's. Maybe they'll hit 5 more.

IF, the coaches can come up with a game plan and manage to get that win at VT, the team then has an entire week to practice the new sets. They then would play 2 of the weaker teams in the league at home which would be good test to see if they can compete. Going to have to work over time.

Agreed. Va tech is not a really big team and they start
Catoor 6'3, playing 33 minutes
Murphy 6'0, 28 minutes
Alleyne 6'4, 32 minutes
Mutts 6'7, 29 minutes
Aluma 6'9, 30 minutes

Ideally you can keep Frank on the floor for 25-30 minutes but he'll be hyped up for first start, road arena with two desperate teams. Game plan should be:
  • Attack Catoor on offense. He'll either guard Buddy or Cole. Catoor is real good shooting but not good defensively. Drive, shoot over him from deep or back him down. He'll score on the other end but make them pay for playing him.
  • Aggressive Joe. Same story on Murphy. This is a game where Joe should actively hunt his shots...preferably good shots even if they are open looks from real deep
  • Small lineup (Buddy at SF or Jimmy at 5) can work for limited stretches here. Extend the zone and trade twos for threes. Free throw line jumper for Aluma and Mutts is better than an open three.
  • limit turnovers and grab extra possessions. Hokies don't turn you over so don't help them with unforced errors.
  • 10-15 good minutes for Symir. He can get into the lane against these guys and do damage

Cuse by 8!

They might have?

we were playing Louisville in the QUARTERS, whom we lost a month before by 20+.

we would have been double digit underdogs.

We had lost to UNC by 13 at home 12 days before. I'll bet we were double digit underdogs to them, too.

Last edited:

That conclusion certainly isn't supported by the data or empirical evidence.

I assume that your per 40 calculations are adjusted for minutes played. Jesse is a plus defender who blocks ~3bpg, and 4 per 40. Frank blocks 1 per 40. Jesse is the only defender in our primary rotation who appears to be elite, and his ability to block shots and alter ones he doesn't get helps to compensate for the limitations of his teammates.

And blocks certainly don't tell the full story with respect to defense. We just saw in the last game what happens when Jesse isn't playing, and Frank is. BC attacked the rim with impunity, and did a ton of damage down low. That doesn't happen against Jesse.

Now, it is possible that playing more will enable Frank to get more blocks, but again -- if your data is already adjusted, then the difference there between the two is stark.

I can get behind the notion that they are comparable on the glass. I'd also expect Frank to elevate his scoring a bit, with more PT and the ability to not to worry about getting pulled should be good for his confidence out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom