JMA Wireless Dome Transformation Project Continues | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

JMA Wireless Dome Transformation Project Continues

I think the plan is to wall mount the new seats. I expect they will be wider than the space each person gets now in the 300s (18 inches), but the seats are probably not going to be very deep.

Here is a visual.

View attachment 229759

One too many dome nachos and the added weight on me is ripping that thing right out of the concrete.

I think the plan is to wall mount the new seats. I expect they will be wider than the space each person gets now in the 300s (18 inches), but the seats are probably not going to be very deep.

Here is a visual.

View attachment 229759
I have long wondered how the 300s would work because the current benches are mounted completely different than the 100s. This makes sense as the only real solution.

I hope we’ll still have the same depth that the benches currently provide. That pic has me preferring they don’t touch the 300s if the backrest comes at the expense of derrière surface area.

How does assigned bench seating work when nearly 1/2 the population is obese? I can imagine the last person sitting down and the person on each end falling off.

How does assigned bench seating work when nearly 1/2 the population is obese? I can imagine the last person sitting down and the person on each end falling off.
I’m not talking about seat width. That needs to be wider and nobody is disputing that. It’s the seat depth that is worrisome. In the 300s this might be less than we had before and would negatively impact even those of us who have healthy BMIs.

I’m not talking about seat width. That needs to be wider and nobody is disputing that. It’s the seat depth that is worrisome. In the 300s this might be less than we had before and would negatively impact even those of us who have healthy BMIs.
I've been to a few European soccer games and it's painfully uncomfortable. Hope Cuse figures it out.

I have this picture on my Facebook and I think it looks great but I really don't like the fact that they got a keep that, uh, attend dance up near 43, 44,000.

Attachments

• GS45SAGA55C75M5RO2EM6K23JI.jpg
    GS45SAGA55C75M5RO2EM6K23JI.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
It gets a little tight sometimes. Gotta be the first to sit down after a big play or you might not be able to sit down…..

So if people (and by people, I mean me) are lucky enough to have aisle seats, they should be in a good position for this renovation?

So if people (and by people, I mean me) are lucky enough to have aisle seats, they should be in a good position for this renovation?
I think the best case scenario is that capacity goes down by about 12% (50K to 44K).

That means every row that has season ticket holders in it is going to get shrunk by about 12%.

Where will those poor people go?

They will go to the next row back.

The second row also loses 12% capacity so about 24% of the people now in the second row will be in the third row.

The third row will have about 36% displacement to the fourth row,

By the time we get to the eighth row, best case maybe 4%of the people now in that row will still be there.

The distance one is displaced gets worse as your season tickets get further from the court side seats near center court.

By the time you get to the back of the sections near center court on the 100 level, people are going to be displaced by about 4 rows.

Now this assumes everyone keeps their season tickets. I suspect some are going to be so dismayed by the displacement that they will choose to give their seats up. But I doubt much of this happens on the 100 level. So it might not be quite as bad. But again, the powers that be are talking about giving the people with the best season tickets the widest seats. So the displacement in these rows is likely going to be significantly worse than 12%.

Not sure how they will do the reseating process. I am hoping they do it by years one has been a a season ticket holder, so loyalty, the thing SUAD should prize above all else, gets rewarded most. By SUAD has bad records and has little idea how long anyone has been a season ticket holder, so unless they do a great job researching things, this is probably not an option.

I think they will likely go through all the sections on the lower deck first instead, going from the sections near center court towards the end lines one by one and do it that way.

And then do the same thing on the 200 level (assuming it survives; they have to be thinking about making some of all of the 200 level seats some kind of uber expensive premium seating. Maybe make them all private boxes. For the sake of the people sitting there today, I hope not.

And then I think they will do the same thing on the 300 level. Start from the 310 and 309 sections row A and go up from there.

I figure by the time they go to section 310, they will beassigning seats 2 sections worse than people have today. Maybe 3.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don’t think it is going to make much of a difference if you have aisle seats today. Now, they might ask you if you want aisle seats and if you say yes, you might be reseated behind a basket. If you say no, you might only end up sitting even with a baseline.

If they reduce capacity from 50K to 42K, or 40K, it just gets progressively worse.

To be fair to SUAD, there is no great way to do this. Most everyone is going to get worse seats. There is a price to be paid for migrating from the very narrow uncomfortable bench seats we have now and pretty much all of us are going to have to pay it.

It is quite unfortunate.

Or getting a seat on the concrete step. :)I assume the rented seat cushions are no longer an option.

I think the best case scenario is that capacity goes down by about 12% (50K to 44K).

That means every row that has season ticket holders in it is going to get shrunk by about 12%.

Where will those poor people go?

They will go to the next row back.

The second row also loses 12% capacity so about 24% of the people now in the second row will be in the third row.

The third row will have about 36% displacement to the fourth row,

By the time we get to the eighth row, best case maybe 4%of the people now in that row will still be there.

The distance one is displaced gets worse as your season tickets get further from the court side seats near center court.

By the time you get to the back of the sections near center court on the 100 level, people are going to be displaced by about 4 rows.

Now this assumes everyone keeps their season tickets. I suspect some are going to be so dismayed by the displacement that they will choose to give their seats up. But I doubt much of this happens on the 100 level. So it might not be quite as bad. But again, the powers that be are talking about giving the people with the best season tickets the widest seats. So the displacement in these rows is likely going to be significantly worse than 12%.

Not sure how they will do the reseating process. I am hoping they do it by years one has been a a season ticket holder, so loyalty, the thing SUAD should prize above all else, gets rewarded most. By SUAD has bad records and has little idea how long anyone has been a season ticket holder, so unless they do a great job researching things, this is probably not an option.

I think they will likely go through all the sections on the lower deck first instead, going from the sections near center court towards the end lines one by one and do it that way.

And then do the same thing on the 200 level (assuming it survives; they have to be thinking about making some of all of the 200 level seats some kind of uber expensive premium seating. Maybe make them all private boxes. For the sake of the people sitting there today, I hope not.

And then I think they will do the same thing on the 300 level. Start from the 310 and 309 sections row A and go up from there.

I figure by the time they go to section 310, they will beassigning seats 2 sections worse than people have today. Maybe 3.

Anyway, to answer your question, I don’t think it is going to make much of a difference if you have aisle seats today. Now, they might ask you if you want aisle seats and if you say yes, you might be reseated behind a basket. If you say no, you might only end up sitting even with a baseline.

If they reduce capacity from 50K to 42K, or 40K, it just gets progressively worse.

To be fair to SUAD, there is no great way to do this. Most everyone is going to get worse seats. There is a price to be paid for migrating from the very narrow uncomfortable bench seats we have now and pretty much all of us are going to have to pay it.

It is quite unfortunate.
This is plausible, but I chose my football season ticket because I’m Level B, but the seat exactly to my right is level A. One seat over is not worth the extra money. I’m right on the for Ty yard line. I’m also row W in section 117. I wanted to be farther up. If your reasoning is correct, I will be in the upper deck. I will not sit up there. I will not pay more to have a worse seat.

This is plausible, but I chose my football season ticket because I’m Level B, but the seat exactly to my right is level A. One seat over is not worth the extra money. I’m right on the for Ty yard line. I’m also row W in section 117. I wanted to be farther up. If your reasoning is correct, I will be in the upper deck. I will not sit up there. I will not pay more to have a worse seat.
I think football is fundamentally different than basketball. There are roughly double the seats for football and I don’t think the number of season ticket holders for football is a ton higher than what we have for basketball.

For football, you should be able to keep your seats, or get ones very close to where you are sitting now. That cannot and will not be the case in basketball….

I would be prepared to move, don’t think you’ll have to move upstairs but it’s unlikely you’ll be in the same spot….

However, I could be wrong…this really is all going to come down to what they decide capacity will be in the dome with the new seats for football.

If we were talking basketball, yikes

I would be prepared to move, don’t think you’ll have to move upstairs but it’s unlikely you’ll be in the same spot….

However, I could be wrong…this really is all going to come down to what they decide capacity will be in the dome with the new seats for football.

If we were talking basketball, yikes
At least you won’t have to worry about seat backs ;)

You’re not a true CNY’er unless you find a way to complain about everything!
no kidding. I don't get it but it's true. The Dome has to be one of the best things that has ever happened to SU sports. I remember when all of the idiots wanted to move it off campus to the fairgrounds which would have completely destroyed any student activity. Having been to most of the top college venues I can honestly say that the Dome is a great stadium. Being on campus is special and there isn't a bad seat in the house for football. Ok the food isn't great but who cares. If your seat is too small lose weight or stand. Get over it the place is amazing.

no kidding. I don't get it but it's true. The Dome has to be one of the best things that has ever happened to SU sports. I remember when all of the idiots wanted to move it off campus to the fairgrounds which would have completely destroyed any student activity. Having been to most of the top college venues I can honestly say that the Dome is a great stadium. Being on campus is special and there isn't a bad seat in the house for football. Ok the food isn't great but who cares. If your seat is too small lose weight or stand. Get over it the place is amazing.
Dilly Dilly!!
And the food is better, so we're improving.

Syracuse, the only P5 division 1 school where the fans sit on every down minus 3rd down.

Absolutely embarrassing
Been to BC, Louisville, LSU and ND away games. Trust me, most fans sit now outside of the students.

If your seat is too small lose weight or stand. Get over it the place is amazing.
Problem is if you lose weight you're at risk of being squeezed out in the trenches. If you're thin you better be quick to sit down or have a really low center of gravity to fight off the hippos.

I love the dome. But I’m worried about the new seating arrangements and how I will be moved. I’m still salty over the parking pass b.s.

quantify that, please.

Premier League television ratings are up 79% in the last 10 years. Average viewership is just under 500k per game, whereas the average NCAA basketball regular season game draws about half of that.

The summer tours of the US outdraw the regular attendance for these teams at home in Europe.

MLS attendance is up 25-30% in the last couple years, and teams draw about 25,000 per game, which is better than the NBA. Messi, of course, is going to explode that demand.

Apple just invested $2.5 billion to broadcast MLS for the next 10 years. NBC paid $2.7 billion for 6 years of the Premier League.

Last year's World Cup Final between Argentina and France drew more than 25 million viewers in the US. That's more than double the viewership for last year's World Series. It is also more people than watched the NCAA football championship game.

And although the viewership is still puny, in the US we can now also watch Serie A, La Liga, Bundesliga and Ligue Un, although those numbers will undoubtedly rise, as more and more USMNT players play overseas.

The NFL and the Super Bowl are really the only sports events in the US that are still bigger than soccer.