Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 37 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reading between the lines we are aggressive on the '24 talent chase but not so aggressive with the roster plans during Reds first year with so many having returned plus JJ/Chance. On the high side there is loads of talent they are targeting in those future classes.
If you build for anything other than the upcoming season you will be doomed.

If you build for anything other than the upcoming season you will be doomed.

Not saying they aren't building for the upcoming season too. But you start there while working ahead as well. You have to do both.

This year we find out if the talent coming back is legit. Those who aren't likely move on and there is a bigger turnover for 24/25.

A good year from JJ/Westry would help Red a lot too. It's a prove it year whether we like it or not. Gotta prove it sometimes without quite as much talent as those are the guys who have skepticism.

If Judah is truly going to be a #50 pick or later, then no, he would not easily be a first rounder in next year's draft. If NBA teams like him as a first rounder for 2024 (especially as a lottery pick as many here have alluded to), they'll likely be fine taking him late in the first round or early 2nd in 2023. I don't think he'll go that late if he stays in the draft this year though; I suspect he'll go somewhere in the 30s.

Indeed. GMs are not stupid. The logic is unassailable it’s puzzling why so many fail to grasp that.

If Judah is truly going to be a #50 pick or later, then no, he would not easily be a first rounder in next year's draft. If NBA teams like him as a first rounder for 2024 (especially as a lottery pick as many here have alluded to), they'll likely be fine taking him late in the first round or early 2nd in 2023. I don't think he'll go that late if he stays in the draft this year though; I suspect he'll go somewhere in the 30s.
I strongly disagree. Check out the current mock drafts for 2024. Also, if he comes back, you can just tell he’ll have a huge season. We’ve all watched him play. But there are only 30 first round picks, and I don’t see him moving from 40-50 range into the first round, which is where you get guaranteed money and buy in from the franchise.

I strongly disagree. Check out the current mock drafts for 2024. Also, if he comes back, you can just tell he’ll have a huge season. We’ve all watched him play. But there are only 30 first round picks, and I don’t see him moving from 40-50 range into the first round, which is where you get guaranteed money and buy in from the franchise.
I've seen all the mock drafts. To me, he's roughly the #5 PG in either class as it currently stands and it's anyone's guess who will rise or fall down those draft boards over the next 12 months. And you can get as good, if not better contracts in the early 2nd round vs. late 1st round at this point.

Wouldn’t this mean that every player should go in the first draft they’re eligible for because they will never have more value then they have today?

Unless some team loves him and is willing to have him sit for a year or 2 while the contract on the current PG expires.

I've seen all the mock drafts. To me, he's roughly the #5 PG in either class as it currently stands and it's anyone's guess who will rise or fall down those draft boards over the next 12 months. And you can get as good, if not better contracts in the early 2nd round vs. late 1st round at this point.
A major part of his "development" if he stays is out of his control: who will he have to dish the ball to in the paint.
Assist numbers matter.
Jesse's departure may have a big impact on Judah's ultimate decision.

Wouldn’t this mean that every player should go in the first draft they’re eligible for because they will never have more value then they have today?
There's obviously limits to it. There's no sense in declaring as a freshman if you're going to go undrafted. I don't think any team is looking at Mintz right now and saying "He's probably going to be a lottery pick next season but he's undraftable right now."

If Judah is likely to go towards the end of the 2nd round, he should come back; he has a lot more potential than that. If he's likely to go around the late first/early 2nd like I suspect, things get a bit dicey; a year of major improvement could catapult him closer to the lottery, but a year of just moderate improvement or no improvement might sink him. If he goes in the top 40, he'll likely get a pretty good contract; money that we almost certainly would not be able to match. Passing that up is a difficult decision.

We see these types of situations all the time; sometimes it works out like you see with guys like Jaden Ivey and Bennedict Mathurin last year where they catapulted themselves up into the top 5 or 6 after being projected as mid to late 1st round picks the year before. Other times you get cases like Terquavian Smith, who went from being a projected 1st rounder to now appearing to be an early to mid 2nd rounder. You never really know and I suspect Judah is likely right around the range where he can justify the contract he'll receive as being good enough to go now.

There's obviously limits to it. There's no sense in declaring as a freshman if you're going to go undrafted. I don't think any team is looking at Mintz right now and saying "He's probably going to be a lottery pick next season but he's undraftable right now."

If Judah is likely to go towards the end of the 2nd round, he should come back; he has a lot more potential than that. If he's likely to go around the late first/early 2nd like I suspect, things get a bit dicey; a year of major improvement could catapult him closer to the lottery, but a year of just moderate improvement or no improvement might sink him. If he goes in the top 40, he'll likely get a pretty good contract; money that we almost certainly would not be able to match. Passing that up is a difficult decision.

We see these types of situations all the time; sometimes it works out like you see with guys like Jaden Ivey and Bennedict Mathurin last year where they catapulted themselves up into the top 5 or 6 after being projected as mid to late 1st round picks the year before. Other times you get cases like Terquavian Smith, who went from being a projected 1st rounder to now appearing to be an early to mid 2nd rounder. You never really know and I suspect Judah is likely right around the range where he can justify the contract he'll receive as being good enough to go now.
I think he is being told he will go at a spot I don't think he will go at. But he is right at the line where it is a toss up for him. I think right now, he leaves. We will see if anything changes that over the next few weeks.

The last Syracuse PG was out of the league in a couple of years in Ennis.
Unless you are in the top 20 as a PG, chances of a long career are not good.
One more year and show the ability to shoot well, he can play both positions in the backcourt.
The is one the NBA wants.

I think he is being told he will go at a spot I don't think he will go at. But he is right at the line where it is a toss up for him. I think right now, he leaves. We will see if anything changes that over the next few weeks.
Sounds like an agent telling him the best case scenario and conveniently leaving out the worst case….

Ugggh.. such a common story over the years...

I too am worried about getting a Big. I kept seeing people say here there’s plenty of time, but there’s really not. There’s a dearth of talent at Center in the portal and there’s only a few days left for new entries. I’m worried we might end up with Hima/Maliq at center. Or of course maybe they have it under control, but I just haven’t heard anything to make me comfortable yet. It’s a vastly different team with Judah and a quality center.
why cant they get a center from Europe? a lot of the best centers in the NBA are european...can anyone explain please?

And JB really liked Copeland too. So both the old guy and the younger coaches think he has very high upside.
high upside but wasn't ready as a freshman...he's all potential at the moment

decision making needs to improve a lot, imo

talent is there ... but big question mark if he can make a leap next season (and become a plus out there)

I’m going to say something might be unpopular but I think we move on now regardless we have to treat these situations as if players are leaving these days and can’t be saving spots for people

why cant they get a center from Europe? a lot of the best centers in the NBA are european...can anyone explain please?
You need to have connections over there. Do we have any? Have we been recruiting Europe for years? Or just now that we are desperate?

I’m going to say something might be unpopular but I think we move on now regardless we have to treat these situations as if players are leaving these days and can’t be saving spots for people
I don’t think that is good PR. I assume the coaches have regular contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors