Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters | Page 97 | Syracusefan.com

Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't blame Judah if he pulls the trigger, but only if he's prepared to go the GL and likely journeyman route.
That's been the fate of most of the Orange NBA picks over the past 10-15 years.
Perhaps staying another season in college may have helped develop their minds, bodies and skills to achieve greater staying power.
Maybe not.
But it doesn't seem it could hurt today with the prospect of decent NIL money for another college season.

I felt Dean's recent pod, while not having any new information that isn't already out there was a good listen. I won't get into specifics but genesis of one important point is that if he is still in the middle of the "process" with just that one workout- its hard to imagine that good news /confirmation just hasn't happened. That confidence/belief/heavy interest isn't there from the NBA side of things or else this saga would be over. It's really just reiterating a point made in a different way on the board throughout this saga so otherwise I wouldn't comment on it given where it came from.

Ultimately it's down to would you bet on yourself even if you aren't hearing what you want to hear? That is a damn tough call to make because you don't have a lot of wind in your sails beyond your own.
Coming back to school for a year is also Judah betting on himself. I commented on this way earlier in this thread.

Post in thread 'Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters' Judah Mintz to test NBA Draft waters

My least concern is at guard. We have zero consistent production from anyone on our frontline. Benny, Bell and and the big guy have proven nothing at this point. That is where our season will be determined.
Uh... Starling isn't that much more proven than our forwards.

Our entire squad is pretty unproven, without Judah.

Yes, my adopted Hornets here in Charlotte have been a clusterfkc for years. They do have a nice stable as you say led by LaMelo Ball. And Bouknight, who's a much better player than Judah, has yet to see significant time.
I can't blame Judah if he pulls the trigger, but only if he's prepared to go the GL and likely journeyman route.

Long gone are the days of Muggsy ( was my favorite player growing up), Zo, Larry, Dell and company. I know they became the Pels.. but still.

My least concern is at guard. We have zero consistent production from anyone on our frontline. Benny, Bell and and the big guy have proven nothing at this point. That is where our season will be determined.

We are going to be a guard dominant team. Can our stable of guards with help from Benny and Bell/Taylor produce the lions share of points needed to win... and can the bigs defend, rebound and finish strong? . To me thats more the reality. I don't think it's a specific number or shooting percentage for a specific guy outside of the forwards making their open 3s. At guard it's really about what the group does as a whole more than anything. Talent is there..

Don’t disagree. But I would expect Maliq Brown to progress nicely year to year as we have him and he gets to continue to play at this level. Natural feel for the game/positioning/positional versatility as a defender. Having watched the Celtics a lot over the last few years, he is the consummate glue player who you don’t have to play through but is capable.

I’d be shocked if he regresses, and nearly equally surprised if he stands Pat.

glad that this saga is about to come to an end.

As a Syracuse fan, I want to see Red get off on the right foot. I also want to see the ship get righted, and for the team to move beyond the tangible decline that's plagued the last 9 seasons. And Judah returning seems to be the best way for both of those things to happen.

And if Judah opts to stay in the draft, I'll wish him the best and root for him if he makes the NBA.

But I'm also tired of this situation, which of course has dragged out to the last possible moment. Stay, go -- whatever -- just get it over with so that the team can move forward, either way.
Ok, what is the actual decision date? I have lost the thread, in more ways than one. :confused:

There are times when we obsess because a kid‘s decision is likely to be critical to the teams success. I believe we already have enough at guard, so that even if Judah does not return, I do not see that decision taking us from “successful” to “unsuccessful.” That is, of course, not to say that we will not be better with Judah, of course, he would be a plus.

I think the team has bigger issues:

1. Will Red be as good a coach as we are anticipating ?

2. Will we get any kind of halfway effective o from the 5 spot ?

3. Will Benny be consistent enough ?

4. Will somebody take hold of the other forward spot ?

5. will we have enough 3 point shooting ?

imho, some, maybe all, of the above questions may have a bigger impact on the success of the season than will Judah’s decision.
Well, if Mintz comes back, there's a much better chance of Red Autry looking like a good coach than if he doesn't...

If Mintz comes back, offense from center and the second forward spot will be irrelevant. We'll be playing three guards and a forward most of the time, who will take 90% of the shots...

If Benny is as good next season as he ended last season, that will answer 3 and 5. Having a forward gunner to go with three driving guards who can keep you honest will be fun to watch.

I haven't looked to much into the lineup if Mintz doesn't come home, but my guess is:

McLeod, Williams, Bell, Westry, and Starling will be the starters.

Taylor, Copeland, Brown, and Hima fill out the rotation. Cuffe and Carey will have their chance to push into the lineup, but I don't have enough information to predict anything. Patterson seems very unlikely to see any minutes, and I kind of expect a redshirt with three guys (at least) ahead of him in the rotation.

This lineup is athletic and highly ranked, but will bea whole new team with so many unknowns. It will be a much bigger task for Red to sort into a good team. Mintz coming back would be such a godsend to this teams chances next year.

True.
But in some sense every player on the team is a question mark...especially in terms of how they'll work together.
In a sense so is the new head coach.
The nickname for this team should be taken from the 60's band that had the hit "96 Tears"...

? and the Mysterians

Well, if Mintz comes back, there's a much better chance of Red Autry looking like a good coach than if he doesn't...

If Mintz comes back, offense from center and the second forward spot will be irrelevant. We'll be playing three guards and a forward most of the time, who will take 90% of the shots...

If Benny is as good next season as he ended last season, that will answer 3 and 5. Having a forward gunner to go with three driving guards who can keep you honest will be fun to watch.

I haven't looked to much into the lineup if Mintz doesn't come home, but my guess is:

McLeod, Williams, Bell, Westry, and Starling will be the starters.

Taylor, Copeland, Brown, and Hima fill out the rotation. Cuffe and Carey will have their chance to push into the lineup, but I don't have enough information to predict anything. Patterson seems very unlikely to see any minutes, and I kind of expect a redshirt with three guys (at least) ahead of him in the rotation.

This lineup is athletic and highly ranked, but will bea whole new team with so many unknowns. It will be a much bigger task for Red to sort into a good team. Mintz coming back would be such a godsend to this teams chances next year.
You have a lot of good thoughts, but you also have some assumptions that may or may not come to pass.

I think red will be a very fine coach, but he still has to prove it. Many of Jimmy’s best coaching seasons came when the talent was relatively down.

our ability to play three guards a lot may be limited by d and rebounding issues/matchups. I would not assume we will be going with three guards more than situationally, even w Judah. Bell is probably our best pure shooter and if your going small he might need to be out there to spread the court, and he certainly can’t play with three guards.

benny’s career hallmark has been inconsistency. Yes, I expect him to be better more of the time, but can he truly get past his inconsistencies ??

your suggested lineup wo Judah looks very reasonable, and even likely, but Taylor and brown were close to bell and it is possible one of them can jump Chris. Q is the wildcard here, huge potential if he can cut down dramatically on his mistakes. It would be nice to have somebody make a big jump. Brown is my personal favorite to be that guy because he does so much, but he needs some sort of a move to generate o other than a put back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom