Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

Two3zone literally said his game is trash. i mean, i read that as he’s the reason we’re not in the tourney, which i wholeheartedly disagree with — disappointing sophomore season or not. There have been a lot of similarly disparaging comments (not sure of yours specifically).

Your summation of the consensus opinion — agree with (i.e. stylistic issues with Judah’s game relative to broader team goals). I just don’t agree that it’s been articulated that way by most.

Draft boards project your potential as a pro, not how effective you are as a college basketball player.

Strawman argument? Sure, I suppose. But the foundation of it is simply that he helped us win a bunch of games we wouldn’t have won otherwise. Hypothetical indeed, but I have no idea how we’re scoring, particularly early in the season, if it wasn’t for Judah. Felt differently in later in the season as q and brown were more prominently involved and JJ had more confidence.

Lastly, how much we miss Judah depends on a ton of factors beyond Judah simply not being the guy with the ball in his hands every trip. There’s a chance we don’t miss him and we’re all talking about tourney matchups this time next year. There’s also a non-zero chance the bottom falls out if we don’t strike a bit of oil in the portal.
One player is not why we're not in the tourney.

I respect your rant.
But optimism for the future, with the players who are mostly leaving?

There is optimism every year. The negativity is that we're not playing, and (by NET/KenPom) how we gave up or got outplayed in the second half of games i.e. Louisville. We lost 4 games by 20+, plus other games in the teens.

20* wins.
So circumstances don’t matter? If you feel better being negative not just about this past year but the future, that’s your prerogrative. Sad but go ahead, No I’m not excited like others about an exodus either but I don’t know the particulars either, just the rumors.

No he’s not. They were in the tourney.

Nothing has changed, no one said we would have won more games without him. Not one poster.

Here’s a post from a month ago which says exactly how I viewed his game. Nothing changed.

I think what the majority is saying is we won’t miss him and the way he’s plays isn’t best to win in college basketball in 2024. The draft board comments are to show that others feel similarly

For you to slip that “we wouldn’t have won 10 games without Judah” is poor form. Total strawman stuff

We also lost a couple of games because of his play at the end. The first Clemson game is that he blew play after play at the end.

So circumstances don’t matter? If you feel better being negative not just about this past year but the future, that’s your prerogrative. Sad but go ahead, No I’m not excited like others about an exodus either but I don’t know the particulars either, just the rumors.
I wish recruiting was the answer - it's now year by year.
We get one year guaranteed from each new player.
So we have one year to munge and make work the incoming freshmen, the returning players, and any transfers.

The first two years of Scoop were hard to watch, but he stuck with it and he got better.

LOL, WUT?!!!

I mean, if by his 2nd year, you mean the year he missed with a medical RS, not sure what there was to “watch”.

As a Soph, was an integral part of the 30+ win Shut It Down crew w Wes that was perhaps our best TEAM in history.

And won a NATIONAL 6th Man of the Year Award.

Shot 49% from floor, 39% from 3, 75% FT’s.
151 assists to 67 TO’s.
2.25 / 1 A/TO ratio.

Very hard to watch. :rolleyes:

Rautins led that team w 171 assists.
With 99 turnovers.
1.73 / 1 A/TO ratio.

Yet Scoop gets all the vitriol.
< shrug >

This isn’t directed to atlanticuse but just a general rant, sorry. We had JoeG and Jesse leave which only increased the importance of Benny coming through for SU, and when it didn’t work, it changed both JT and Maliq’s roles the most. Judah’s role probably changed also while JJ had to adjust to an entirely new staff, new role etc. Players who had limited minutes the year before were now starters or being relied upon to carry the team with even a new defense.
Great reminder. I think sometimes folks forget the impact that Benny made on this year's team (in not a good way). It wasn't just losing a player, it had a domino effect that impacted everyone on the court (and coaching staff). That really hurt.

We won 20 games. We beat UNC, Pitt and NC State twice, and Oregon at a neutral site, all tourney teams, two of them now in the Sweet 16. This was a flawed team for sure—and undermanned due to injuries and Benny’s dismissal—but not as bad as some are portraying. That UNC win in the Dome showed what this young team could be when clicking on all cylinders, but we lacked experience and maturity and focus on defense. Judah still has some developing and growing to do and didn’t have the right players around him (not enough shooters or size) but we would’ve been a much worse team without him.

Last edited:
The first two years of Scoop were hard to watch, but he stuck with it and he got better.
I recently rewatched the 2010 Syracuse win over Villanova in the Dome (College Game Day) when Scoop was a sophomore. He was fantastic and absolutely key to the victory. Pushed the ball on the break and passed beautifully. Bobby Knight was raving about him. He was good as a sophomore too, but yes he also drove people nuts at times with his inconsistency and turnovers.

Last edited:
We won 20 games. We best UNC, Pitt and NC State twice, and Oregon at a neutral site, all tourney teams, two of them in the Sweet 16. This was a flawed team for sure—and undermanned due to injuries and Benny’s dismissal—but not as bad as some are portraying.
That's the part that I haven't understood all season. You would think we were a single digit win team based on how some talk about this team. The level of negativity on this board was amazing stuff this year.

I recently rewatched the Syracuse win over Villanova in the Dome (College Game Day) when Scoop was a sophomore. He was fantastic and absolutely key to the victory. Pushed the ball on the break and passed beautifully. Bobby Knight was raving about him. He was good as a sophomore too, but yes he also drove people nuts at times with his inconsistency and turnovers.
Yeah, that's what I was talking about earlier. Yeah, he drove people nuts at times but I just don't recall disdain (or even hate) for the guy like JM received this year (and I'm not defending Judah, just an observation).

LOL, WUT?!!!

I mean, if by his 2nd year, you mean the year he missed with a medical RS, not sure what there was to “watch”.

As a Soph, was an integral part of the 30+ win Shut It Down crew w Wes that was perhaps our best TEAM in history.

And won a NATIONAL 6th Man of the Year Award.

Shot 49% from floor, 39% from 3, 75% FT’s.
151 assists to 67 TO’s.
2.25 / 1 A/TO ratio.

Very hard to watch. :rolleyes:

Rautins led that team w 171 assists.
With 99 turnovers.
1.73 / 1 A/TO ratio.

Yet Scoop gets all the vitriol.
< shrug >
I don't remember Scoop getting vitriol as a sophomore. It was his JR year where he became a lightning rod. That was when the point shaving scandal was rumored after Seton Hall destroyed us in the dome.

That's the part that I haven't understood all season. You would think we were a single digit win team based on how some talk about this team. The level of negativity on this board was amazing stuff this year.
TL;DR The team's metrics weren't good all season and they weren't as good as their record, but that's why they play the games.

UNC is one game at the Dome, I feel it is more the anomaly than a true representation of how good SU was. Good teams get beat. It happens. Generally, SU got boatraced against anyone else in the top-25-ish realm. I think our record was better than the team's true talent level. They eeked out some wins that should/could have been losses (Colgate, Miami, Louisville, etc.). if you split those 1 or 2 possession wins 50/50, then the record could look a lot different. Most losses were true blowouts indicative of a talent disparity. The record really looks good because we beat a shorthanded Oregon team, Pitt x2, and NC state x2. They were two conference teams with better metrics than SU, but lost home and aways. Split the results and it's a different season. But that's why they play the games.

The metrics are only for relative rankings due to unbalanced schedules and a small sample size. If they replayed the season, I wouldn't bet on 20 wins again. I think it was a good season considering the roster issues and a rookie HC, but I don't think they were a good team in the sense that they should have been in NCAA tourney or top-30 ranked good because they had some bad luck in close games.

He was on NBA boards and then he wasn’t. He ain’t going to Duke. People here forgot what an actual baller looks like.

Glad he hogged the ball tho.
Remember posts like this about a 2nd team all ACC player when we stop getting recruits.

Yeah, that's what I was talking about earlier. Yeah, he drove people nuts at times but I just don't recall disdain (or even hate) for the guy like JM received this year (and I'm not defending Judah, just an observation).
People have so much disdain for Judah they can’t even give him credit for dealing with the most disdain!

Got into a debate this weekend with friends who think Buzz Williams and/or Nate Oats should have got a look because they are better than Red(supposedly). Interestingly enough their first years at jobs were not good either. The lack of patience and overall lack of understanding of the landscape around cbb by some of our fans is pretty frustrating.

Got into a debate this weekend with friends who think Buzz Williams and/or Nate Oats should have got a look because they are better than Red(supposedly). Interestingly enough their first years at jobs were not good either. The lack of patience and overall lack of understanding of the landscape around cbb by some of our fans is pretty frustrating.
I think red is the guy and we’re in good hands but honestly I would’ve taken buzz or oats over red all day everyday. They’ve both proven on the court and recruiting that they can get it done. I agree people need to have more patience and let coaches get their guys in, get in their groove, etc. it’s not just our fanbase though, if you pay attention to the entire scope of the sport it’s all over.

I think red is the guy and we’re in good hands but honestly I would’ve taken buzz or oats over red all day everyday. They’ve both proven on the court and recruiting that they can get it done. I agree people need to have more patience and let coaches get their guys in, get in their groove, etc. it’s not just our fanbase though, if you pay attention to the entire scope of the sport it’s all over.
Both of those guys seem like they've plateaued a bit and seem like they are just a step below the elite coaches. They play one style and neither play with a traditional big which I think may put a ceiling on how far they can get in March.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom