Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist? | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Judah On GTown's Portal Wishlist?

Why? Coack K built that program and he's gone. Now it's just a shoddy old high school gym.
They were NCAA champs before K got there. He just resurrected the program.

Yeah, I was thinking about the two Bubas took to the Final Four.
I deleted that post just as you quoted it! Didn't want to be misconstrued as a K fan.

Judah wants to be paid. He want/wants/wanted Jesse type money this year and didnt get it but he got a lot of money. He just feels he deserves more. Which is totally fine. But I don’t think SU is going to get him the number he wants, hence why dasher is correct
Thanks for the update.

I said last year it was a mistake not paying Jesse. Lots of people on this board jumped on me and said cut him loose and the money was absurd. Now I doubt many would disagree as we probably would be solidly in the tournament and that’s worth an extra few hundred grand. It certainly would have been worth it to Red as that would have alleviated a great deal of pressure.

Now for a second year in a row we probably won’t pay our best player or at least who is perceived as our best player. We’ll see how it plays out but there may be a concerning pattern developing. Getting mixed info about philosophical differences, but would we pay him even if that wasn't an issue? And last year people downplayed Jesse’s abilities so I take it with a grain of salt. If we have a player good enough, there’s going to be programs willing to pay money in the Jesse ballpark, unless and until the system is regulated better and maybe even still then. Cuse needs to find a way to keep guys we want here or we won’t find our way back to the top.

Thanks for the update.

I said last year it was a mistake not paying Jesse. Lots of people on this board jumped on me and said cut him loose and the money was absurd. Now I doubt many would disagree as we probably would be solidly in the tournament and that’s worth an extra few hundred grand. It certainly would have been worth it to Red as that would have alleviated a great deal of pressure.

Now for a second year in a row we probably won’t pay our best player or at least who is perceived as our best player. We’ll see how it plays out but there may be a concerning pattern developing. Getting mixed info about philosophical differences, but would we pay him even if that wasn't an issue? And last year people downplayed Jesse’s abilities so I take it with a grain of salt. If we have a player good enough, there’s going to be programs willing to pay money in the Jesse ballpark, unless and until the system is regulated better and maybe even still then. Cuse needs to find a way to keep guys we want here or we won’t find our way back to the top.
We gave him more last year when he wanted it. He’s going to go pro or drive up the price in college which will also put us in limbo for months again. Based on who we are recruiting you’re making a mountain out of a molehill. The fans may very well be more upset if Judah leaves, but I’m not sure the coaches will be.

At some point, Syracuse is going to have to decide how much they are willing to pay for a player. Are we going to the level it would take to bring in a Flagg? I seriously doubt it.

So, do we give up on the potential superstars and bring it down to ?????

While money is the big motivator, there has to be a desire to play for a certain coach, or not, as well as the school itself. Not every player is going to simply be a money hog.

At some point, Syracuse is going to have to decide how much they are willing to pay for a player. Are we going to the level it would take to bring in a Flagg? I seriously doubt it.

So, do we give up on the potential superstars and bring it down to ?????

While money is the big motivator, there has to be a desire to play for a certain coach, or not, as well as the school itself. Not every player is going to simply be a money hog.
We are getting Donovan Freeman and Choppa Moore who are both right in the sweet spot we recruited before JB got old and where old friend Connecticut recruits now. I sense some are trying to say we have an NIL problem still when that isn’t true.

BTW Duke and UK are increasingly seeing diminishing returns on their top 10 guys.

Last edited:
I deleted that post just as you quoted it! Didn't want to be misconstrued as a K fan.
I got hung up on the '63 Duke team because my wife had a high school classmate who played on that team.

Judah wants to be paid. He want/wants/wanted Jesse type money this year and didnt get it but he got a lot of money. He just feels he deserves more. Which is totally fine. But I don’t think SU is going to get him the number he wants, hence why dasher is correct

First, he should try to max his earnings. I have no issue with that and would encourage it.

Second, IMO, this is what happens when you are on a track to improve to be an NBA draft pick and that goes off the rails.

He should get his money, but he should go somewhere that wants to play the same way he does. For his own benefit.

Being projected as late first rounder to early second rounder in 2024 to late second rounder in 2024 to off the 2024 board and being at the very end of 2025 isn’t a good trend.

He’s talented. Hope it works out for him. Would be helpful for him if we go on a run and get into the NCAAT.

Feels like the barometer of our NIL situation this year will be Maliq Brown, not Judah. There is no doubt that we want to keep Maliq and he will have plenty of tampering going on. If we can fend off the suitors I think that speaks highly to our NIL efforts, if not, then there may be cause for concern.

Thanks for the update.

In hindsight, it's so much harder for a team to replace a good center than a good guard. There just aren't a ton of good bigs and every team needs a good big. Good transfer bigs will require a premium NIL package.

They were a power that just hadn't won a NC. They went to the finals my sr at Syracuse. Beat us to go to the final four back in 1966

I didn't realize they were that good throughout the 60's. Just looked at their yearly W/L records now. Then it seems they took a tumble in the 70's but ended that decade relatively strong. K took them to heights not many teams have experienced.

Without Judah we would be lucky to be at 500 this year. If he doesn't go pro we should pay him to stay. He is playing lights out .

Absolutely. However, we may not have that luxury. He’s going to enter the graft and keep his options open. it’s business. If somebody’s available at that point, they can help us we have to bring them in.

Without Judah we would be lucky to be at 500 this year. If he doesn't go pro we should pay him to stay. He is playing lights out .
I think we would have to pay Judah over $500k (same as an NBA 2 way contract) to stay

Incorrect. They didn't win until 1991. I dislike K as much as the next guy, but he absolutely built that program.

If it was today, Coach K may have never had the chance to build the program the way he did and take it up a few tiers. He could have been fired after 3 years, given that he struggled after inheriting what appeared to be a decent situation

I'm not sure why the previous coach left, but imagine a new coach today comes into a situation where. the team had done well the previous 3 years before he arrived.
27-7 (Final 2))
22-8 (Round of 32)
24-9 (Elite 8)

Then his first 3 years he proceeds to go 17-13, 10-17, 11-17.
Would that coach survive today?
Patience is not a bad thing.

If it was today, Coach K may have never had the chance to build the program the way he did and take it up a few tiers. He could have been fired after 3 years, given that he struggled after inheriting what appeared to be a decent situation

I'm not sure why the previous coach left, but imagine a new coach today comes into a situation where. the team had done well the previous 3 years before he arrived.
27-7 (Final 2))
22-8 (Round of 32)
24-9 (Elite 8)

Then his first 3 years he proceeds to go 17-13, 10-17, 11-17.
Would that coach survive today?
Patience is not a bad thing.

Very well may not! I'd be curious what that last team lost, in terms of players. Maybe a lot of guys graduated and the cupboard was bare. Not like there was a portal and transfers were much less prevalent at that time. So maybe he was starting with leas. I'm heading out the door now or else I'd do a little research to see if that is the case.

Than we should
Depends on the money we have and what we have to spend it on. Business 101. How much to we spend on Bell? Or a quality big? Only so much juice in the Orange. In a perfect world, bring everyone back. We are playing so much better over the course of the eyar. And with Freeman coming in. Maybe the missing piece. But we don't know what we don't know. How much cash we have and what we have to spend it on.

Very well may not! I'd be curious what hat last team lost, in terms of players. Maybe a lot of guys graduated and the cupboard was bare. Not like there was a portal and transfers were much less prevalent at that time. So maybe he was starting with leas. I'm heading out the door now or else I'd do a little research to see if that is the case.

Trying to piece things from the link below, but it's hard to do as context is missing.

Seems like the 1980 Elite 8 Team that went 24-9, which Coach K inherited in 1981, returned a fair bit of its rotation players (6 of 8) and 3 of 5 starters. Although they did lose their best player in Mike Gminski who was probably an All American. Nowadays that level of return would be considered very good - but back then more players stayed around so it may have been seen as nothing great. That being said I could see people who thought that his 17-13 record in 1981 was underwhelming.

The freshman class was not good in 1981, but Coach K can't really be responsible for that - assume it was on the prior coach?

Coach K's very first freshman class in 1982, was also not very good it appears. He went 11-17.
At this point a coach "today" might be on the hot seat.

While the 1983 team only went 10-17, Coach K hammered the recruiting class - 4 of the 5 leading scorers on the 1983 Duke team were freshman (Dawkins, Alarie, Bilas, Henderson) And the program rose with those 4 players, ultimately getting to 37-3 in their senior season

I assume by 1983 people saw the potential of that team and were probably generally happy.
1982 (after his second season), might have been the toughest time.

All speculation based on records of course.

Trying to piece things from the link below, but it's hard to do as context is missing.

Seems like the 1980 Elite 8 Team that went 24-9, which Coach K inherited in 1981, returned a fair bit of its rotation players (6 of 8) and 3 of 5 starters. Although they did lose their best player in Mike Gminski who was probably an All American. Nowadays that level of return would be considered very good - but back then more players stayed around so it may have been seen as nothing great. That being said I could see people who thought that his 17-13 record in 1981 was underwhelming.

The freshman class was not good in 1981, but Coach K can't really be responsible for that - assume it was on the prior coach?

Coach K's very first freshman class in 1982, was also not very good it appears. He went 11-17.
At this point a coach "today" might be on the hot seat.

While the 1983 team only went 10-17, Coach K hammered the recruiting class - 4 of the 5 leading scorers on the 1983 Duke team were freshman (Dawkins, Alarie, Bilas, Henderson) And the program rose with those 4 players, ultimately getting to 37-3 in their senior season

I assume by 1983 people saw the potential of that team and were probably generally happy.
1982 (after his second season), might have been the toughest time.

All speculation based on records of course.

I agree with everything you stated.

Yea, that 1983 class is pretty well known now. He certainly hit that one out of the park and things have been rolling ever since.

mintz and starling to me are interchangeable parts. what we need is a knockdown 3 pt combo threat at # 2 and a skilled center. plug in those transfer pieces and even if mintz jumps (not saying i'm pushing him out by any means) and you have a more balanced team next year. if you wanna spend NIL give it to brown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom