NYT does Calipari | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

NYT does Calipari

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did our coach call the "pow wow"?

If you look at the post I quoted you'll see that I bolded a part that didn't say anything about coaches and was more about what college basketball has become.

Well all I can say is you know more facts than I do. Maybe some day you will clue me in on some of those facts.

Feel free to educate yourself. They are readily accessible via this newfangled thing you might have heard of called "Google."

I don't know how many times I have to qualify this, but I acknowledge that Cal has never been directly implicated. But two programs he's led have gotten caught riding dirty, and have had serious penalties including the vacating of final four appearances occur under his watch. The plausible deniability defense / excuse rings hollow after two schools get nailed, with him departing in the night like the Baltimore Colts scant moments before the sanctions came down. Not surprisingly, there have been numerous issues raised since he took over at UK. Some of it might be smoke, but there have been numerous--and pretty serious--things that have come up since he's been at UK. Again, don't take my word for it--feel free to look up stuff on Bledsoe. And Davis. Etc. None of which he has been busted for. Yet. Again, I invite you to read up.

I'm implying some Syracuse "fans" have long had an agenda against our coach and are now using this latest gambit by the cartel to crucify him. While going to great lengths to defend a transparent, documented slimeball. :)

I defend JB constantly and absolutely love him as a coach and I've never said anything different.

I'm implying some Syracuse "fans" have long had an agenda against our coach and are now using this latest gambit by the cartel to crucify him. While going to great lengths to defend a transparent, documented slimeball. :)

I think you got it bassackwards. One has nothing to do with the other. You don't defend JB by smashing Cal. Just defend JB on the merits. One can make a reasonable defense. JB doesn't look better by diminishing cal.

Dont waste your time. Anybody that can compare the BS at syracuse to a program that was built by Adolph Rupp isnt worth associating with.

I defend JB constantly and absolutely love him as a coach and I've never said anything different.

You don't understand, 2-3. You defend Calipari by asking for facts and that makes you a JB hater.

No one would be going to great lengths to do anything if we weren't averaging like one PAYPAL thread a day around here.

Feel free to educate yourself. They are readily accessible via this newfangled thing you might have heard of called "Google."

I don't know how many times I have to qualify this, but I acknowledge that Cal has never been directly implicated. But two programs he's led have gotten caught riding dirty, and have had serious penalties including the vacating of final four appearances occur under his watch. The plausible deniability defense / excuse rings hollow after two schools get nailed, with him departing in the night like the Baltimore Colts scant moments before the sanctions came down. Not surprisingly, there have been numerous issues raised since he took over at UK. Some of it might be smoke, but there have been numerous--and pretty serious--things that have come up since he's been at UK. Again, don't take my word for it--feel free to look up stuff on Bledsoe. And Davis. Etc. None of which he has been busted for. Yet. Again, I invite you to read up.

First off I thought you said good night. :) Enjoying the UK blowout?

I've read up on it. What you reference are vague allegations that have not been proven. I am not as ready as you to believe these vague allegations without more evidence.

First off I thought you said good night. :) Enjoying the UK blowout?

I've read up on it. What you reference are vague allegations that have not been proven. I am not as ready as you to believe these vague allegations without more evidence.

I'm watching AZ / Xavier, but given your takes in this thread I'm guessing you are.

You're not ready to believe--that's great, and a legitimate, skeptical response. But don't then imply that Cal's issues are "only" Canby / Rose. There was more to it at both Umass / Memphis, and there is lots of smoke if the stories about Davis, Bledsoe, etc. at UK are to be believed. Those two [the Davis thing in particular] would be quite damaging. If something similar to either of those two allegations had come up during our recent NCAA investigation, we would have gotten tarred and feathered even worse by the NCAA.

I swear--if Cal ends up getting UK busted somehow and bails for the NBA, I'm convinced that there will still be people defending him on this forum claiming that he's clean. Mind boggling.

No one would be going to great lengths to do anything if we weren't averaging like one PAYPAL thread a day around here.

I don't think I've ever started a UK thread here.

I'm watching AZ / Xavier, but given your takes in this thread I'm guessing you are.

You're not ready to believe--that's great, and a legitimate, skeptical response. But don't then imply that Cal's issues are "only" Canby / Rose. There was more to it at both Umass / Memphis, and there is lots of smoke if the stories about Davis, Bledsoe, etc. at UK are to be believed.

I swear--if Cal ends up getting UK busted somehow and bails for the NBA, I'm convinced that there will still be people defending him on this forum claiming that he's clean. Mind boggling.

If he gets busted I wouldn't defend him and wouldn't say he's clean at all.

I think most teams from power conferences would be in the upper 1, but honestly I could live with it... Like I said, they could be in one for basketball and one for football.

Wouldn't work that way if it ever happened.

You're not ready to believe--that's great, and a legitimate, skeptical response. But don't then imply that Cal's issues are "only" Canby / Rose. There was more to it at both Umass / Memphis, and there is lots of smoke if the stories about Davis, Bledsoe, etc. at UK are to be believed. Those two [the Davis thing in particular] would be quite damaging. If something similar to either of those two allegations had come up during our recent NCAA investigation, we would have gotten tarred and feathered even worse by the NCAA.

If he was busted, it wouldn't impact his coaching abilities.

If he gets busted I wouldn't defend him and wouldn't say he's clean at all.

Therein lies the rub--his programs have gotten busted not once but twice. He has bailed scant seconds ahead of the lynch mob in both instances, and gotten off scot free. I'm by no means suggesting that all of the crap that gets tossed his way is true. I don't even think that UK has needed to cheat the last few years, after that machine he's built there has gotten rolling. But do I think that there is some legitimacy to the "smoke" behind Davis / Bledsoe?

Here's the thing--if either of those things [or some other violation] rears its head and impugns UK, that will be the third program under Cal's watch that has gotten nailed.

Two3zone, here's my issue with your post: getting a third program busted is what it would take for you to stop defending him and admit that he's a cheater? What about the other two programs that got nailed for major infractions with Cal at the helm?

None of which has anything to do with whether he's a good coach or not, BTW.

Last edited:
If he was busted, it wouldn't impact his coaching abilities.

True. But per my response to two3zone above, I think that is turning into a BS straw man to defend Cal against the prospect of past improprieties.

There are definitely dumb posts / posters that claim that he isn't a good coach, that he's just a recruiter, etc. C'mon. The man's track record speaks for itself.

But that holds true both on AND off the court.

True. But per my response to two3zone above, I think that is turning into a BS straw man to defend Cal against the prospect of past improprieties.

There are definitely dumb posts / posters that claim that he isn't a good coach, that he's just a recruiter, etc. C'mon. The man's track record speaks for itself.

But that holds true both on AND off the court.
But he isn't a good coach. Coaches that have a proven track record of cheating aren't good coaches . Plus he was God awful in the NBA.

If coach A has been at a program for 40 yrs and has had 2 incidents/violations with a very clear detailed understanding of what happened as part of the outcome while coach b has been at 3 programs for less than a decade each with two major negative outcomes and a very unclear explanation on those events meanwhile taking zero accountability is there really a comparison? Add to that the "smoke" surrounding coach b's program in his third job that while yes has not led to an actual published finding but certainly has created some valid questions or concerns.

I don't see that as a matter of who has the moral high ground. I see that as the reality that the cards are layed on the table for coach a while coach b has played with two aces under his sleeve the whole hand. Whether those aces were really put there by him or his tailor is being argued but the fact is comparing the two is dumb. So to point to JB and SU as a pushback on the criticism of Calipari makes no sense. It is weak and not taking in the bigger picture.

But he isn't a good coach. Coaches that have a proven track record of cheating aren't good coaches . Plus he was God awful in the NBA.

I have zero need to defend Cal by any means. But that isn't an indicator that is relevant to college ball. There are plenty of successful college coaches [Nick Saban or Steve Spurrier, anyone?] who sucked in the NFL but are great college coaches.

Not being a great NBA coach has zero to do with his success at the collegiate level. Which has admittedly been impressive. I tend to agree with you that he has a track record as a cheater. But I do also acknowledge that he's managed to skate and not be directly implicated, so not sure about the "proven" part.

Status
Not open for further replies.