OT: Shady McCoy headed to Buffalo? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Shady McCoy headed to Buffalo?

You guys serious? The Bills got robbed.

Robbed is a bit much for a guy coming off an ACL injury. You do know that not everyone comes back 100% from those, right?

I think it's about a wash - could look bad in the future but if you want to win now with the defense you have you need offensive firepower.

Robbed is a bit much for a guy coming off an ACL injury. You do know that not everyone comes back 100% from those, right?

I think it's about a wash - could look bad in the future but if you want to win now with the defense you have you need offensive firepower.

Just looking at contracts, age and potential despite the ACL injury... I think the Eagles got a steal. Bills are ignoring their QB issue and buying aging backs. I'd honestly be mad if I was a Bills fan. The NFC East may be one of the softest run D conferences in the country as well.

I like Alonso a lot but this is his second ACL tear I believe so its not like the Bills are trading him coming off a second monster year with zero injury concerns. its definitely a big risk that hopefully pays off with Mccoy having 3-4 good seasons.

Just looking at contracts, age and potential despite the ACL injury... I think the Eagles got a steal. Bills are ignoring their QB issue and buying aging backs. I'd honestly be mad if I was a Bills fan. The NFC East may be one of the softest run D conferences in the country as well.

How are they ignoring the QB issue? No ones trading Rodgers, Luck, or Rivers for Kiko Alonso. Theres also not exactly a plethora of free agent QB's available. Also before anyone else chimes in with the Bills could have drafted one in the first round, Winston and Marriotta would have been long gone by the time the Bills picked so lets be honest for once.

How are they ignoring the QB issue? No ones trading Rodgers, Luck, or Rivers for Kiko Alonso. Theres also not exactly a plethora of free agent QB's available. Also before anyone else chimes in with the Bills could have drafted one in the first round, Winston and Marriotta would have been long gone by the time the Bills picked so lets be honest for once.
I'm just happy I'm a Phins fan. Haven't been able to say that for a decade.

Throw in the fact Philly was going to cut him anyway. One report out that Philly called every team offering him up yesterday, everyone said no. Buffalo took 20 minutes and said yep we will trade for him.

Would have been nice to have both Alonso at $400K and then just sign McCoy and have both.

Per my prior comment - this could be a one year deal in a year they can't spend to get a decent QB - then with lots of cap room the following year to spend on one. Bills get a needed quality RB this season - and then cap space when they take the QB plunge.

They better find a way to trade for Glennon in Tampa who is the perfect fit for the offense they want to run. Strong arm, can get it down the field, and young so you can build around him going forward. Otherwise if they line up Sanchez, Vick, or Hoyer under center it will be a long 2015

Mixed feelings to be honest. With Alonso missing the entire year last year it makes the trade easier to get behind but young 3 down lbs who can play in coverage are pretty rare. Mccoy is a hell of a player but the amount of mileage is definitely a bit of a concern in my book. I am still thrilled to have Mccoy just wish we didnt have to give up Alonso to do it but you have to give up talent to get it. The good news is that Buffalo doesnt need to draft a rb early and instead can concetrate on Guard, TE, S, and LB. If Whaley is smart he will look to trade down in the second and pick up a 3rd or 4th round pick to make up for the missing picks we have.

The only thing I don't like about trading down is I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Brett Hundley if he's available in the second round. He might be gone by then, and who knows if he is the answer? But I wouldn't mind finding out what he can do.

As a football Giants fan. Thank God get him out of the NFC East.

Throw in the fact Philly was going to cut him anyway. One report out that Philly called every team offering him up yesterday, everyone said no. Buffalo took 20 minutes and said yep we will trade for him.

Would have been nice to have both Alonso at $400K and then just sign McCoy and have both.

I doubt Philly was going to cut him and take a huge cap hit and theres zero chance he was signing with Buffalo as a FA.

I doubt Philly was going to cut him and take a huge cap hit and theres zero chance he was signing with Buffalo as a FA.

Don't be so sure that Philly was bluffing about cutting him. This was from an article posted yesterday morning: http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2015/03/what_are_the_eagles_going_to_do_with_lesean_mccoy.html
He has a cap hit of $11.95 million next season, which is currently the second highest in the NFL at his position. If the Minnesota Vikings move on from Adrian Peterson, it will be the highest. The Eagles can save $7.5 million by releasing McCoy.

Philly can sign CJ Spiller or Shane Vereen for 5 million per year and still have 5 million in cap space to resign Maclin or get McCourty.
Buffalo didn't give up much but I think they took the big name to get the fanbase excited.

The irony for the "smart football" crowd is that they dumped on Marrone for being too conservative and leaning on the defense get Rexy and 50 carries a game.

Last year they had a mid tier pass offense with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton.

Now they a ton of dollars tied up in a mid-career back with close to the most carries in the league over the last five years and two first round picks invested into what is now a hood ornament WR in a ground and pound, win with defense organization.

No better at OL or QB, no improvement in draft positioning, and less cap space to deal with either issue.

Personally, I always thought that Kiko was overrated. He was great for about 4 games, and then he just blended into the background the last 12 games. Now has torn his ACL twice in like 3 years.

IMO, you flip an above-average LB for an MVP level talent at RB. Sign Iupati and David Harris. Maybe trade for Glennon. Use the rest of the draft picks to beef up the O-Line and you have a very good chance to make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, I think this along with the rumored Mariota stuff is how a guy like Chip goes from good coach to bad GM to fired in three years. Philly has a ton of holes to fill now, and if they actually trade all their picks away to move up for Mariota, they won't be able to come close to filling them. This is why coaches shouldn't be in charge of the moves the team makes.

The irony for the "smart football" crowd is that they dumped on Marrone for being too conservative and leaning on the defense get Rexy and 50 carries a game.

Last year they had a mid tier pass offense with EJ Manuel and Kyle Orton.

Now they a ton of dollars tied up in a mid-career back with close to the most carries in the league over the last five years and two first round picks invested into what is now a hood ornament WR in a ground and pound, win with defense organization.

No better at OL or QB, no improvement in draft positioning, and less cap space to deal with either issue.

Not that I entirely disagree with your premise but your missing a few key points. Mccoy's deal has almost nothing guaranteed after this year and his cap hits come down significantly the next two years if he is still on the team so they dont really have a ton of dollars tied up.

Second they had over 30 million in cap space prior to this move and will still have about 20 million left not counting additional money that they can free up by releasing older veterans.

Third it might be better to actually wait until after FA and the draft to see if they dont get any better at OL or QB. Not sure what you expected them to do about those two positions prior to FA opening up.

Fourth I dont know how Buffalo was going to upgrade their draft positioning without moving a key piece that another team wants. No one is giving up a 1st our 2nd round pick for Alonso, maybe maybe a 3rd rounder which would have been an idiotic move. If Buffalo wants to reap more in the draft they should trade down in the second and stockpile some picks.

Not that I entirely disagree with your premise but your missing a few key points. Mccoy's deal has almost nothing guaranteed after this year and his cap hits come down significantly the next two years if he is still on the team so they dont really have a ton of dollars tied up.

Second they had over 30 million in cap space prior to this move and will still have about 20 million left not counting additional money that they can free up by releasing older veterans.

Third it might be better to actually wait until after FA and the draft to see if they dont get any better at OL or QB. Not sure what you expected them to do about those two positions prior to FA opening up.

Fourth I dont know how Buffalo was going to upgrade their draft positioning without moving a key piece that another team wants. No one is giving up a 1st our 2nd round pick for Alonso, maybe maybe a 3rd rounder which would have been an idiotic move. If Buffalo wants to reap more in the draft they should trade down in the second and stockpile some picks.

Wasn't expecting them to do anything at this point about either, but they have less flexibility today than yesterday to deal with those issues.

Hoyer has to be Buffal0's QB target.

McCoy is a name move the guy isn't worth 5 million more than CJ Spiller or Shane Vereen. McCoy is probably in the 7-10 range for RBs right now.

Buffalo should be spending their money on OL and resigning Hughes. If Buffalo wanted a first round pick they could deal Darius and probably get one.

Joe Buscaglia, Bills beat writer tweeted this earlier today.

"The #Bills are being VERY aggressive. I would not at all be surprised if there is another move soon."

Wasn't expecting them to do anything at this point about either, but they have less flexibility today than yesterday to deal with those issues.

Still over 20 million in cap space, what big FA QB or Guard will they now be hindered in obtaining based on the Mccoy move?

Hoyer has to be Buffal0's QB target.

McCoy is a name move the guy isn't worth 5 million more than CJ Spiller or Shane Vereen. McCoy is probably in the 7-10 range for RBs right now.

Buffalo should be spending their money on OL and resigning Hughes. If Buffalo wanted a first round pick they could deal Darius and probably get one.

Unless they have zero chance of re-signing him why trade Dareus? Especially if they might be losing Hughes. Mccoy is 10x the player Shane Vereen is, lets be real for a minute, Vereen is a role player who has 1 or 2 big games a year catching passes out of the backfield.

Ignoring our QB issue? Trading for McCoy wasn't done at the expense of signing Aaron Rodgers. We will sign a vet QB like a Sanchez/Hoyer/Moore/Locker type but there's not much out there. Maybe we can trade for a Foles, but that's a longshot. We have a ton of cap space and from what I read we are prepared to pay him a large lump sum up front to decrease the $10 mil cap hit. We traded a promising LB coming off his SECOND ACL injury and we already have two stud young linebackers in Bradham/Brown. Kiko isn't needed when we most likely bring in David Harris.

The only thing I don't like about trading down is I wouldn't mind taking a shot at Brett Hundley if he's available in the second round. He might be gone by then, and who knows if he is the answer? But I wouldn't mind finding out what he can do.
We have Brett Hundley. His name is EJ Manuel.