Outdoor Stadium | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Outdoor Stadium

A quick look online lead me to the syracuse athletics page claiming Manley held 9500. It would take 3+ games there at max capacity to fill any one of our largest crowds at the Dome. It has done remarkable.

There was a lot of concern - including from JB - that the Dome was so big it was going to be like playing in an empty gym. Didn't remotely turn out that way.

My frosh year was Fall of ‘69. I don’t recall ever being at Archbold in good weather. I mean, I must have been, but all I remember is cold, wet, sitting in puddles on the concrete, water pouring off umbrellas in front of me onto my lap, and just being miserable. The games weren’t much better for my mental well-being, as Ben picked that specific moment in the history of the world to let the game totally pass him by.

I don’t think I have ever been to a game in the Dome when I didn’t smile while mentally comparing the two experiences.

Are there outdoor stadiums in other areas of the country where the late Fall weather is miserable? Absolutely. Do CNY high school athletes play outdoors in November? Yes.

But that doesn’t mean it has to be that way because we have made it NOT that way.

It is a totally moot point, because we just replaced the roof, got a nifty roller coaster around the top, and there is no way we are going to get rid of the roof in the balance of my lifetime. Toss in the fact that we would also have to build a new hoops arena and it simply isn’t going to happen.

Clearly you didn't attend last night's outdoor soccer game.

If we had a home football game this weekend, we'd be facing a high of 41 degrees with 10 mph winds.

We used to have an outdoor stadium with grass. It would be mud by October, and they would have to paint the bare ground green in November.

And I'm NOT sitting outside to watch LAX in February.

Interestingly, my brother is a proponent of an outdoor stadium and he actually charted the weather on I believe the prior 10 years worth of home games. It was something like 85 or 90 percent of the games were played in good weather (defined for this purpose as temperatures above freezing and no precipitation). Would love to see an actual chart of this going back 20 years. It is definitely nice weather more often than not on gameday. I can't remember too many tailgates in recent history being anything but.

All that being said, with the recent roof renovations, it's not even really worth discussing for another several decades.

i'd never go to a game again if it was not 70f and sunny.

Hold on, hold on, HOLD ON!!!

We can write dick now?

Dick?

Dick dick dick.

Interesting.
Looks like it. And while we are on the subject of being a Dick. He trolled llandz in another thread about the closing of the Sheraton. Spot on for him. Trolling someone who has put in more time and money supporting the university than he would in 5 lifetimes. But don’t call him out on it, because you know…Hillary.

Looks like it. And while we are on the subject of being a Dick. He trolled llandz in another thread about the closing of the Sheraton. Spot on for him. Trolling someone who has put in more time and money supporting the university than he would in 5 lifetimes. But don’t call him out on it, because you know…Hillary.
double sigh...

If the Bills dont get it done in the next 3-5 yrs and regress to avg or worse the seats there are gonna be wide open again in the new one they build

People never sat in Archbold in late November, when the temperature could be in the 30's. The wind up on the hill is like a wind tunnel. As a teenager watched a game up there where it was sunny, started to drizzle, rained, turned to snow, and cleared a place to kick a field goal. Was frozen by the time we left.
No thanks to an open air stadium on the hill.
I did. I stayed in many a cold Archbold game to the very end.

I sympathize with the OP. The rap on artificial turf is not good. Outdoor game experiences can be great - the football game at VA Tech this year was about as perfect weather as you could expect.

But I also went to Wake Forest last year when it was 40F and that wasn’t pleasant. And I sat with sun in my eyes for 90 minutes as we got our butts handed to us in the first half at UNC. Did not enjoy either loss or the weather.

I think at this point just about any topic is fair game for us to tear each other a new one. Continual losing is misery and we know what misery loves …

college football in the northeast is done by Thanksgiving weekend, so for the most part the weather shouldnt be horrible, but the DOME is the DOME. it is SYRACUSE.

im a big believer that football should be played outdoors and on grass, but when i go to 4 games at Giants Stadium after Thanksgiving, i will be cursing up a storm that they didnt put a roof on that building.

i think old Texas Stadium had it right...keep the fans dry & a little warmer and let the elements hit the field.

just put in grass.

There was a lot of concern - including from JB - that the Dome was so big it was going to be like playing in an empty gym. Didn't remotely turn out that way.
Well let's hope the STHs start showing up, then, or JB's prophecy may start becoming a reality.

college football in the northeast is done by Thanksgiving weekend, so for the most part the weather shouldnt be horrible, but the DOME is the DOME. it is SYRACUSE.

im a big believer that football should be played outdoors and on grass, but when i go to 4 games at Giants Stadium after Thanksgiving, i will be cursing up a storm that they didnt put a roof on that building.

i think old Texas Stadium had it right...keep the fans dry & a little warmer and let the elements hit the field.

just put in grass.
MetLife might be the biggest waste of opportunity in this history of stadia.

MetLife might be the biggest waste of opportunity in this history of stadia.
the jets need to get in on CohenWorld and put a 60k football one there.

the Giants are stuck till 2030, dont give me a new PSL, but tear it down and put a retractable roof on the new one.

im guessing theyve lost 10k season ticket holders. build it at 75k capacity.

the jets need to get in on CohenWorld and put a 60k football one there.

the Giants are stuck till 2030, dont give me a new PSL, but tear it down and put a retractable roof on the new one.

im guessing theyve lost 10k season ticket holders. build it at 75k capacity.
It’s just mind blowing to me that they built a football stadium in 2010 in the wealthiest metro area in the country and didn’t put a roof on it. The amount of major events that decision chased off is ridiculous.

I sympathize with the OP.
Yikes. You're really sticking your neck out here in front of this hostile bunch. Very brave. :) While it may be a moot point like some have mentioned, i firmly believe if possible, it would actually bolster attendance and recruiting. With a program that is so down, who wants to go inside on glorius fall weekend afternoons? Contrary to what many believe, the weather is decent to very good for the vast majority of home games.

Yikes. You're really sticking your neck out here in front of this hostile bunch. Very brave. :) While it may be a moot point like some have mentioned, i firmly believe if possible, it would actually bolster attendance and recruiting. With a program that is so down, who wants to go inside on glorius fall weekend afternoons? Contrary to what many believe, the weather is decent to very good for the vast majority of home games.
LOL…you think you got flamed? LOL.

Try bumping a thread that shows everyone thier unconditional love for Dino back in 2018.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom