Patterson extremely impressive at practice | Syracusefan.com

Patterson extremely impressive at practice

What did Waters have to say about Patterson? Was he impressive just on defense or is his ball handling or shooting a little more developed than we've been expecting? By all accounts he's going to be a very effective high energy guy on defense at the top of the zone. Would love it if other parts of his game are developing quickly.

We may need him this year more than you'd think. My son went to a Univ. of Louisville exhibition game tonight and said the refs called all kinds of fouls (esp on other team) due to the new guarding/hand check rules. So, if refs this season start blowing the whistle too much, Patterson will be needed in the backcourt regardless of ability, although it's good to hear that he was impressive in practice (in some way shape or form).

per Mike Waters. The guy nobody's talked about may be big contributor this year

Its going overboard to suggest he will be a big contributor this year, but people are not high enough on this kid.

He had the yips in Canada which is extremely common for young guys playing their first D1 minutes, but he showed that he is already our best defensive guard, and in time he's going to be hitting 3's on a regular basis.

An energy guy, a shooter, a secondary ball handler, and a defensive ace. That is the kind of guy Patterson is, and those kind of guys are extremely valuable.

Interview on Pardon the Interruption today. Said he stood out defensively and hounded Ennis throughout entire scrimmage. Nonstop high energy and better shooting stroke( more successful anyway) than we had seen.Lots of steals,rebounds and loose balls

Interview on Pardon the Interruption today. Said he stood out defensively and hounded Ennis throughout entire scrimmage. Nonstop high energy and better shooting stroke( more successful anyway) than we had seen.Lots of steals,rebounds and loose balls

I'm guessing you mean the local ESPN radio show Upon Further Review? http://espncny.com/shows/further_review.php

Not the national show PTI with Wilbon/Kornheiser. Which one is it?

per Mike Waters. The guy nobody's talked about may be big contributor this year
image.jpg

Its going overboard to suggest he will be a big contributor this year, but people are not high enough on this kid.

He had the yips in Canada which is extremely common for young guys playing their first D1 minutes, but he showed that he is already our best defensive guard, and in time he's going to be hitting 3's on a regular basis.

An energy guy, a shooter, a secondary ball handler, and a defensive ace. That is the kind of guy Patterson is, and those kind of guys are extremely valuable.

I think Patterson will be a "warrior" kind of player - defense, intensity, rebounding, steals, energy, diving on the floor kind of player. But, based on his scouting reports coming in and what we saw in Canada, his handle will be a major liability at this level.

Love love love this guys energy. I'm calling him 40 minute energy from now on...maybe I'll shorten it to 40me.

In addition to defense (I thought Waters said hounding Cooney), the main point was that Patterson was getting in the lane and attacking the rim. Not so much shooting. But "intriguing" (Waters' word) enough that the coaches must be wondering how to get him on the floor.

Then (per the interview), as a 2 guard, he is behind Cooney & Ennis, and a 2 guard has to be able to hit from outside, so where does he fit?

Well, we will see. In the exhibitions, and most of the pre-ACC games, the starters will be sitting for long periods, and guys like Patterson, BJ, and Roberson will get their chances. Patterson may not be a zone buster, but getting in the lane against M2M is a useful talent.

During the Canadian games, Leo Rautins felt Patterson had the greatest potential for improvement of the new players. That may not be his exact words, but close to it.

Active and enthusiastic (and long-armed).

He was the player who impressed me most in Canada, even though he looked eager and willing to shoot every time he crossed half-court. Excited to see what he can do with some consistent minutes, though I'm not holding my breath that he'll actually get them this season.

Has a lot of upside but watching him over the summer, his decision-making and turnovers seemed to be issues that need to be addressed before he will get prime time minutes. But who knows, we are now a couple months removed from those summer games and he may have made improvements in those areas. He certainly brings a lot to the table in terms of athletic abilities and defensive talents. Would at minimum be a great change of pace kind of player to bring in for a press and disruptions on the defensive end.

lots of ways to read the Leo Rautins comment
Sure.
You can watch some guys and feel that they are what they are. What you see in Patterson (in addition to defense) is some raw ability to get his own shot when defended, to get past a defender and get to the rim, to be real quick on a break-out. Very raw, and we will have to see.

This is the key! I also see above where SoBristol mentions hearing that Patterson was on Cooney, not Ennis. Regardless, Patterson's development is underway and he will grow into quality game-minutes over the next couple of years. What he already possesses is fantastic defensive ability and the fact that a couple of our major players have to work against him in practice bodes very well for their preparation throughout this season.

Sure.
You can watch some guys and feel that they are what they are. What you see in Patterson (in addition to defense) is some raw ability to get his own shot when defended, to get past a defender and get to the rim, to be real quick on a break-out. Very raw, and we will have to see.
I am hoping.

it doesnt matter how good u r or how well u play hes not on jb has to play list. first real game he wont play.

Love to hear he is hounding the other guards in practice. What a huge contribution that is for the team since the backcourt is relatively young and inexperienced game wise at the college level.
I'm unsure how much game time he will see this year but I really like what he brings and the longterm stability he will give use in the backcourt over the next 4 years.

I'm not sure about "extremely impressive," but Patterson looks like a four year program guy who brings some nice things to the table. Could be a very important player for us his 3rd and 4th year in the program. Agree with the high energy part [based upon what I saw at practice a few weeks ago], but I also agree 100% with 007's assessment [above] about his handle. His entire offensive game needs work -- not a big deal at this beginning stage of his developmental curve -- but he sure doesn't lack confidence and seems capable of knocking shots down from three.

My guess is that he'll be inconsistent for a year or two, and then really round into form toward the end of his career.

With Patterson, we have four players in the backcourt rotation instead of the three we were limited to last year. Only Ennis is a true PG, however.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom