PG situation next year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

PG situation next year

if you look at the Recruiting Forum, you'll see a few 2017 JUCO point prospects mentioned, and an entire thread on 4th year juniors who might be grad transfer options

and then ou'll realize that the pickings are slim and we're not likely to be any better off at the position than we have been this year Photobucket burning couch
Oraiste- I appreciate your research on that thread.

I'm surprised with your conclusion though. I thought that from just those listed possibilities, SU had good options. That just from one of Keene, E Brown, or Mobley we would be in better shape.

This year SU should be the top landing spot for the cream of the crop. This time it will be clear that the starting pg to SU is being given out (last year it wasn't clear).

I saw that you aren't sold on Keene (even though he is the leading scorer in college hoops), but what about the other two - E Brown and Mobley? How would you rank the prospects?

Doesn't seem unlikely to me. 2nd year doing it, should be better actually. JB said it looked at least as good as last year.

Pg - Keene, E Brown or Mobley already on the radar. And this time will be put right in w the first team.

SF has Egor or foreign dude.
Who the f is foreign dude?

Who the f is foreign dude?

The Slovakian SF I think. He's on the recruiting side. Looks really good against pretty good competition over there. If Moyer for some reason isn't ready or not very good and we get this dude; then things will be looking up.

The Slovakian SF I think. He's on the recruiting side. Looks really good against pretty good competition over there. If Moyer for some reason isn't ready or not very good and we get this dude; then things will be looking up.

Just putting this out there -- I LOVE Moyer's game and potential, but he definitely strikes me more as a PF with some versatility than a SF. Maybe that changes down the road if he diversifies his offensive skill set, but right now people expecting him to play 3 offensively are going to be severely disappointed. I'm not saying that this is a perfect comparison, but he's a lot closer to TRob than he is to Andrew White.

If that's what you think of Forth's contributions, you really need to study the game.

We couldn't have possibly won if a better center played on that team? Come on...

Just putting this out there -- I LOVE Moyer's game and potential, but he definitely strikes me more as a PF with some versatility than a SF. Maybe that changes down the road if he diversifies his offensive skill set, but right now people expecting him to play 3 offensively are going to be severely disappointed. I'm not saying that this is a perfect comparison, but he's a lot closer to TRob than he is to Andrew White.

Totally agree. Precisely why I hope the staff can get the Slovakian dude. Love Brissett but he's more of a springy-Grant type it seems with perhaps some SF ability in spurts like Moyer. But, the roster moving forward doesn't have a SF.

Would i be wrong in expecting him to be more versatile than Roberson but far less offensively polished as Thompson?

Totally agree. Precisely why I hope the staff can get the Slovakian dude. Love Brissett but he's more of a springy-Grant type it seems with perhaps some SF ability in spurts like Moyer. But, the roster moving forward doesn't have a SF.

Spot on observation. Brissett is way more athletic than Moyer [who isn't a slouch himself], but those two both project as 4's and are comparable in terms of game / style of play.

I guess technically the Slov isn't a grad . I would like both Egor and this kid. A seasoned vet and a developing talent that could get some minutes off the bat.

IMO based on Capt Tuttles rumors, I now think the odds of FH returning are small. I would like the dual grad and developmental guard on board too. A Keene/E Brown tranne along with Washington would work for me.

I guess technically the Slov isn't a grad . I would like both Egor and this kid. A seasoned vet and a developing talent that could get some minutes off the bat.

IMO based on Capt Tuttles rumors, I now think the odds of FH returning are small. I would like the dual grad and developmental guard on board too. A Keene/E Brown tranne along with Washington would work for me.

That Egor fellow is intriguing as well for sure.

Starting to sound that way.

As for the first part of your post, I think it all comes down to # of available scholarships. I think we've got three open spots right now. That total would rise by any attrition that the roster has after the season.

Howard getting the boot? Lydon and / or Battle to the NBA? Chukwu due to injury? Please note that I'm not predicting all of these things to happen. I doubt Battle is making the jump, for example [but nothing would surprise me]. Maybe Lydon comes back [seems unlikely]. We won't know until the dust settles.

Let's just say--for hypothetical's sake--that Lydon goes pro and Howard bails. By my count, that would give us 5 slots to fill.

We offered Howard Washington today, presumably that's a committable offer. From what I understand, the staff prioritizes both Ayala and Duarte over him. I assume that they'd take 2 out of those 3, but not all 3? Would they take all 3 if they all want to commit? :noidea:

If that happens, would they take the SF? How many are they setting aside for 5th year transfers, or would adding two of those guards negate the need to add a guard 5th year transfer?

Lots of unknowns right now. Things will get interesting if Washington acts upon that offer and commits soon. However things shake out, we have to add LOTS of depth at all of the perimeter positions. Starters and backups.

My stomach hurts at the thought of our PG situation next year. We desperately need to hit the transfer or JUCO market this summer.

It might be rated X.

We couldn't have possibly won if a better center played on that team? Come on...

Possibly, but doubtful. Forth is the epitome of what you need to man the center spot of the zone. He called out everything. Basically coached the defense to what spots they needed to be in, and what was happening behind their back.

Yeah, his offense was lackluster, and that's what people think of. We don't win without him anchoring the D, IMO.

Baye was similar. He was overlooked, but the center is the communicator.

If we get a grad Frankie, will we have bathroom issues.

I saw that you aren't sold on Keene (even though he is the leading scorer in college hoops), but what about the other two - E Brown and Mobley? How would you rank the prospects?
Brown and Mobley are both shooting guards

I don't think my rankings would hold any water; I haven't seen any of them play other than brief highlights and I would be basing everything off the stats. But in general, I'm concerned whether any of the candidates at point can play effective defense in the zone, which was the biggest problem this year. I don't go as far back as some of you guys, but this year was the worst defense I have ever seen from a Syracuse team,

where are the canadiens ? we should absolutely own the Ontario market. oshae know anybody ?
mar 8th

"Washington is a Buffalo native who has been a lifelong Syracuse basketball fan. He plays prep ball at Athlete Institute in Mono, Ontario, and is the current teammate of future Syracuse forward Oshae Brissett."

well i wasn't too far off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom