Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 25 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

I like your optimism...do you have a source or is this just your hope?

I've been in and out of the penalty box this season(more in), so I've missed a lot. Like Iommi, I'd like to hear any reasons why we should be feeling confident about TB right now.

I like that his father theyre still ok with SU if SU still has a scholarship available. Might the NCAA announcement work to our advantage if JB can show the Battles that theyre going to do a "suicide pledge"(only looking at one frat, or in this case recruit), and Tyus is their guy? With only one scholarship expected to be left for that season, is it possible Tyus may decide earlier than otherwise?

Or...is "suicide pledging" for that last spot a bad idea?

Francis(and anyone else), do the Battles' comments about the Cuse seem much better or fairly close to those directed at other schools? I have some reading in the thread and this subforum to catch up on. Thanks

Via twitter I assume?

I can only imagine JB is literally calling all recruits explaining what this means and telling those literally at the top of the most wanted list that they would in no way be affected by the scholly reduction. Heck he might be able to spin it as a positive in some regards as more PT early on.

I was thinking about this after finding out about the sanctions. It definitely seems that added PT could be spun as incentive.

How many offers have we made for 2016, not counting Moyer? Could someone else take the bait before Tyus?

I was thinking about this after finding out about the sanctions. It definitely seems that added PT could be spun as incentive.

How many offers have we made for 2016, not counting Moyer? Could someone else take the bait before Tyus?

I know we have offeredHarry Giles, but I'd bet if any one prospects dream died yesterday for wearing orange it's his. At this moment, we would need to not add bryant, and lose 3 more players by end of next cycle to take anyone besides Moyer and Battle. Make no mistake, Battle is our priority. Giles is the better player, like go first in the draft type player. But he's a long shot and Battle sounds like he is gearing up to say he wants SU, and it might be coming very soon.

That said, no bryant and losing 3 guys wouldn't be too shocking, Cooney and G are set to leave, it's already expected somebody transfers this year, and the only way CM doesn't jump to the NBA next year is if he blows out his other knee, and DC is still at best a very very dicey situation as far as the health of his knees goes.

Thanks, gentlemen(and I use that term loosely for tee ;) ). I am not as knowledgeable on the process as some of you, and have a question. It looks like we have 1 spot open for 2016. If one of the guys we've offered like Kassoum Yakwe decides to accept today because he doesn't want to miss out, does that mean Battle and Giles are toast? What I'm trying to ask is if once SU makes an offer(that reminds me of the beavis and butthead episode where the cops tried to entrap them and needed "a hard offer of money for sex"...i couldnt find the clip to post), is it first come first serve? If so, that makes me a bit more nervous, being I haven't perused the Yakwe thread.

Thanks, gentlemen(and I use that term loosely for tee ;) ). I am not as knowledgeable on the process as some of you, and have a question. It looks like we have 1 spot open for 2016. If one of the guys we've offered like Kassoum Yakwe decides to accept today because he doesn't want to miss out, does that mean Battle and Giles are toast? What I'm trying to ask is if once SU makes an offer(that reminds me of the beavis and butthead episode where the cops tried to entrap them and needed "a hard offer of money for s e x"...i couldnt find the clip to post), is it first come first serve? If so, that makes me a bit more nervous, being I haven't perused the Yakwe thread.

I think every prospect beyond 2015 that has an offer needs to confirm their offer is still on the table. I'd imagine many of the just got rescinded. Yakwe's offer was almost certainly conditional anyways assuming Battle and Giles said no first.

I think the 10 scholly limit will be beneficial for us and I know it may sound crazy. But the staff has a whole new sales pitch and recruits will have no doubts when it comes to playing time.

It will not be beneficial because of a lack of depth when it comes to injuries, suspensions, defections and the usual crap that comes up. Also, as a ton of others have said, we can't take on any projects. That being said, I agree 100% about the recruiting pitch.

On Battle: I'm starting to gain some optimism because of all of these positive comments. I made the point about our proximity to NJ and I'm happy his father mentioned that. His parents want to be able to watch him regularly-- they are fixtures at all his high school games and his father is very closely involved with his son.

It will not be beneficial because of a lack of depth when it comes to injuries, suspensions, defections and the usual crap that comes up. Also, as a ton of others have said, we can't take on any projects. That being said, I agree 100% about the recruiting pitch.

On Battle: I'm starting to gain some optimism because of all of these positive comments. I made the point about our proximity to NJ and I'm happy his father mentioned that. His parents want to be able to watch him regularly-- they are fixtures at all his high school games and his father is very closely involved with his son.
anything more on this foot injury guys? Im a little worried.

I understand that but we only go 7 maybe 8 deep max. Plus it's going to get reduced, but we will recruit like it won't. The staff will be extra picky.

I think the 10 scholly limit will be beneficial for us and I know it may sound crazy. But the staff has a whole new sales pitch and recruits will have no doubts when it comes to playing time.

I agree. Not only will it make the scholarships handed out more valuable, but it should force us to go after almost entirely elite recruits.

anything more on this foot injury guys? Im a little worried.

It's a concern. He's dealt with it on and off now since last year...seems like a thing he can't get to 100% because he's a hard working player and never really shut it down.
Hopefully, now that they have it in a walking boot they will give it plenty of time to heal. This injury won't preclude any team from trying to sign him obviously. The concern would be that it's a chronic issue and pops up again down the road.

Last edited:
It's a concern. He's dealt with on and off now since last year...seems like a thing he can't get to 100% because he's a hard working player and never really shut it down.
Hopefully, now that they have it in a walking boot they will give it plenty of time to heal. This injury won't preclude any team from trying to sign him obviously. The concern would be that it's a chronic issue and pops up again down the road.
yeah when you're down to 10 schollies you cant afford another DC type.

AZOrange said:
yeah when you're down to 10 schollies you cant afford another DC type.

But his injury occurred after he was at SU.

You can't predict something like that.

But his injury occurred after he was at SU.

You can't predict something like that.
I was more talking about having a guy on the roster that can't play. And with Battle there are some concerns. Although I do seem to recall some with DC in HS too werent there?

AZOrange said:
I was more talking about having a guy on the roster that can't play. And with Battle there are some concerns. Although I do seem to recall some with DC in HS too werent there?

I don't recall DC having any health issues in high school.

Maybe someone else can recall.

Unless Battle's injury is chronic, they won't say no to him.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangebaske...l?hootPostID=042d15d0342e91d4cd0dee01b8ea9e5e

"If there's just 10 guys on scholarship, there's more playing time for me."

giphy.gif

Not a whole lot new in that article, just reiterating that they are interested if SU is.

Basically Hop and JB talked to Mr. Battle (yesterday or today I assume) and reassured him they were interested and that there would be a spot.

Some interesting quotes on not being able to force guys out but wait and see how things shake out this summer. Sounds to me like we have some players headed out multiple I'm guessing. It also likely means Battle's announcement will be put off if its SU at least until the numbers work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom