Class of 2016 - PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 PG Tyus Battle (NJ) Signed LOI

Recent news about Battle seems really promising, so I went back through this thread to summarize some of the milestones & quotes from Tyus & his family to see little bit better if we are really in the great position that it appears. Wrote up the summary for everyone - again, this is just my view of the major events/quotes/updates about Tyus Battle's recruitment:

Tyus Battle Recruitment (Syracuse-related)

- Attended Syracuse Elite Camp in 2012

- Syracuse offers Tyus a scholarship – reported in August 2012

- Attended Orange Midnight Madness in 2013

- Tyus’ dad attends SU/Indiana game without Tyus in 2013

- Quote from dad from article in Jan 2014:

“Syracuse, he’s top priority for Syracuse,” Gary Battle said. “They want him to come in and play the point.

“In their system he definitely can fit that role. He likes to pass the ball. He’s 6-5, can handle. I see him as a kind of a combo point. He definitely has to have the ball in his hands. He’s not a straight wing. He’s a muti-faceted guard.”

Gary called the Duke-Syracuse game — one day before the Super Bowl — a must-see for him.

“That would be a Super Bowl for us to see Duke play at Syracuse in front of 35,000 people,” he joked. “I’ll take that over the Super Bowl as a basketball fan.”

- Quote from dad after the Syracuse/Duke game they attended:

“The most unbelievable venue we have ever witnessed,” Gary Battle

- Quotes from Tyus after the Syracuse/Duke game they attended:

“The atmosphere was ridiculous,” he said. “The end of the game made the locker room experience much better. Everything was happy and everything. When Duke made the 3 to bring it to overtime, it was ridiculous. A lot of ups and downs in that game.”

The game made an impression on his family, too.

“Well, my mom loved it,” he said. “It was her first college experience like that, so she was just enjoying the experience like all of us.”

Asked if he could see himself fitting in there, Battle said, “Oh, yeah, they like big guards.”

- Tyus visits Syracuse campus in October 2014 and then has this to say:

”I’m not ready to declare a favorite,” Battle said. “But Syracuse is going to stay up there. It’s a really great program. I think position wise they would play me well. It fits my playing style. I like the school a lot.”

- After Syracuse announces self-imposed Tournament ban (Feb 2015), Tyus’ dad is quoted as saying:

"Tyus is still very interested in Syracuse," Gary Battle said. "That was probably his first major scholarship offer."

- An important update from our very own Francis regarding Tyus’ recruitment (on Feb 23, 2015):

“Some interesting notes that Mr. Battle told tos. SU, Ohio St, Notre Dame are recruiting him to play with the ball in his hands. While the others want him as a wing. Remember Team Battle wants PG on the next level. Also this recruitment won't drag out for much too longer. Tyus is pretty much worn out from the process and it's basically heading to the finish line soon.”

- Shortly after, an interview with Tyus’ dad contains the following information:

Tyus Battle has made, by his father's account, four or five trips to Syracuse over the years. He watched SU play Duke last season in the Carrier Dome. He visited last fall during SU's Homecoming Weekend.

Gary Battle wants his son to visit all the schools on his final list, though he acknowledges "that might not happen." The recruiting process, for Tyus Battle, "has been a little overwhelming," his dad said. Trimming his potential list will eliminate some of the phone calls and some of the visits.

"He doesn't like the glitz and the glamour," Gary Battle said. "He's not really a kid who gets off on the recruiting process. He likes being a kid."

Gary Battle reiterated that his son's meeting with Jim Boeheim, when the Syracuse coach told Tyus he would entrust him with the ball, was important for the family to hear.

- Shortly after NCAA announces sanctions against Syracuse (just recently), Tyus’ father is interviewed:

"At this point, now that I understand it better, as long as they have a scholarship for Tyus, as long as they can field a strong team that can compete for a national championship, I'm OK with it," Gary Battle said in a telephone conversation.

Gary Battle said the family likes Syracuse University, its communications program, its proximity to their New Jersey home and Orange coaches' willingness to develop bigger point guards like Tyus.

"I told Tyus what was going on, he read a few articles," Gary Battle said. "He said, 'If there's just 10 guys on scholarship, there's more playing time for me.'"

- After news about JB coaching 3 more years (just recently), the Battles are interviewed:

Gary Battle had said one of the key components in his son's interest in Syracuse was Boeheim's position as the head coach. Battle said today that Boeheim's reitirement would not alter the way Tyus viewed Syracuse. Boeheim's age (he is 70) and his length of service at SU suggested Boeheim might step down at some point if Battle decided to attend Syracuse.

"It doesn't impact what we're hoping to accomplish," Gary Battle said. "We like the brand, we like the school, we like the coach and the coaching staff is an extension of each other. Coach Boeheim has been as involved as any head coach in the recruitment of Tyus. But there's no more prepared assistant coach than Mike Hopkins."

I don't know, but to me, this all seems to point to Syracuse being in really, really good shape with Tyus & his family. Multiple visits to campus (with & without Tyus), one of which was during one of the greatest/biggest games in Carrier Dome history (SU/Duke)...fact that Syracuse wants him to play PG...close proximity to the Battles home...and all the great quotes/fact that the Battles seem to be sticking with Syracuse during all the recent NCAA crap.

Can't be too much longer until we get some good news (hopefully)!

That floater on a full speed run at about 1:40 mark

200.gif

I've read in passing that he is visiting at the end of this month but I haven't seen specifics. Can anyone confirm the visit? Where was it reported?

We really think JB is going to bench a junior Kaleb for a freshman battle?

Unless you like PG's that dribble around the perimeter like a chicken with it's head cut off, and constantly leaves their hands down on defense. Then yes, we all expect JB to keep KJ's ass on the bench for Battle. If KJ doesn't step his game up next year and we land Battle, I think he'll see the writing on the wall and will decide to transfer.

He is benched as a junior already, unless Kid Mamba goes elsewhere. In fact, if Mamba commits soon, KJ ought to leave this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom