QB for next year? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

QB for next year?

I assume that is McCord that we are calling? I hope he gave Schiano the phone number of the local Burger King instead of his mobile
It is, we will have to stay tuned to see how legit this is. He would be a great QB1 for us.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he was being sarcastic.
Probably. I was to tired to pick up on it. I've been inundated and overworked this week trying to close a deal and trying to keep up with recruiting.

If you had to guess who will be our QB next year? Is it someone on the team now? Is it a freshman that will be coming in? Are we going to find someone in the portal?
Dan Villari if we don't find anyone in the portal which I doubt. TE my ass.

Last edited:
I thought McCord was a done deal for Neb and are we gonna spend our limited NIL on 2-3 million for a QB with all our other needs?

I thought McCord was a done deal for Neb and are we gonna spend our limited NIL on 2-3 million for a QB with all our other needs?
Your comment on limited NIL strikes a chord with me. The way Villari ran the ball, if he has a serviceable arm, which I think he does, it’s not inconceivable to me to have a run heavy attack with some passing to keep teams honest at least in year one. Not saying he will be our starting quarterback, but why not let him compete for it, especially if we are running thin on NIL. Then as our team continues to blossom we could expand that role.

I don’t believe for a minute these coaches came here if our nil is that bad. I’m guessing there has been a recent cash infusion. We also wouldn’t be hosting all these 4 and 5 star kids this weekend.

Your comment on limited NIL strikes a chord with me. The way Villari ran the ball, if he has a serviceable arm, which I think he does, it’s not inconceivable to me to have a run heavy attack with some passing to keep teams honest at least in year one. Not saying he will be our starting quarterback, but why not let him compete for it, especially if we are running thin on NIL. Then as our team continues to blossom we could expand that role.
Dan showed he has a strong Arm and he can obviously run. He's a leader. I would give him a very long look.

It would be nice to have a QB coach before we start recruiting Quarterbacks

Im sure we do and it just hasn't leaked yet. I doubt we make an official announcement for awhile. But i can gurantee Fran Browns staff is probably atleast 90% complete as we speak.

Heck our WR coach Mike Johnson could be our QB coach next year. He played QB and has coached the position in multiple stops

Villari has emerged as one of my favorite players on this team, second only to LeQuint and Caleb. I really hope he starts as QB1 for the bowl game, but I doubt he will be QB1 next season.
Yup. Villari is tough as nails but throwing vertical routes when the secondary expects run does not indicate he can play QB at the P5 level.

Last edited:
Villari has emerged as one of my favorite players on this team, second only to LeQuint and Caleb.
1702125748177.png

I would think the fact that he didn’t ( absent our situation last year) at 2 schools would be a good indication he can’t play QB at this level.
Agreed. Point is that out of the returning players, incoming frosh and the potential Buffalo kid I think he is a solid option. We have two former 4 star qbs on the team via the portal and nobody's enamored with them. Simply put out of our current roster QBs and the incoming frosh Dan would be my choice.

I don’t believe for a minute these coaches came here if our nil is that bad. I’m guessing there has been a recent cash infusion. We also wouldn’t be hosting all these 4 and 5 star kids this weekend.
Nil for QBs is silly high though. you can get 4 star at spots and still not afford the QBs. its just like the NFL perhaps in how its being spent..

If we have 10 gaps to fill and NIL says we now have 10 million and that could fill the QB and 3 others or not the QB and 8 others which would you do?

Agreed. Point is that out of the returning players, incoming frosh and the potential Buffalo kid I think he is a solid option. We have two former 4 star qbs on the team via the portal and nobody's enamored with them. Simply put out of our current roster QBs and the incoming frosh Dan would be my choice.

All of which makes 2 points clear:

I’m glad you’re not on staff making this decision. ;)

We absolutely need to upgrade QB talent & depth via the portal.

No shade at Dan, who is a gifted, versatile athlete, but -
his ceiling is a healthy Shrader, and he’s got a lot less college experience and reps.

Dan is a mismatch nightmare for opponents at TE/wildcat/Swiss Army knife for us - a huge positive.

He’d be, at best, average as a QB.

Why not get a proper, capable, experienced QB,
so that way we can be above average in talent at 2 key positions, rather than average (or worse)?

Plus - Dan’s path to an NFL future is at TE.
Not QB.

Coach - take that portal to Browntown.
Land us a stud QB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors