Class of 2015 - SG Malachi Richardson (NJ) Verballed to Syracuse | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 SG Malachi Richardson (NJ) Verballed to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
bpo57 said:
I went to the game. Ewing was up 10 maybe even 12 early in the 2nd quarter but TCA fought back to get down 6 at half. TCA came out in the 3rd Q and scored 34 points to take a 20 point lead and kinda cruised from there although some sloppy TOs let Ewing cut the lead down to low double digits. Myles Powell was the star for TCA as he nailed at least 4 threes and had to score at least 15 points in the 3rd quarter. Now for the bad news. Malachi will be a highly frustrating player for SU fans. The talent is there and is obvious - he's built like a pro and is a legit 6'5". But he plays with the motor of a Kia Sorento. I assume that he and Mr. McNamara will get well acquainted. GMac and JB are gonna have to coach this kid up because he has two obvious weaknesses. He just doesn't play hard- help defense? What's that? Rebound? Nah, not interested. And his handle needs plenty of improvement. He had a kid 3-4 inches shorter on him that prolly won't even play college hoops and yet MR couldn't shake him. Settled for fall away jumpers from 20 feet. Didn't help that he was rather cold. Most of his points came when the game was out of reach. During warm-ups he was nailing everything so you know he can shoot. But he loves his jumper too much and needs to learn how to work off the jumper or he'll just be one dimensional. His weaknesses are correctable but he has to play harder or he'll be a big disappointment at SU. I have faith in the SU staff that they'll get him on the right track but folks who think he's coming to SU to be a major force out of the gate will be sorely disappointed. Ewing has a kid named Trey Lowe that is going to Temple. Prolly 6'3" and skinny as a rail at 170. Needs to put on weight/strength and his jumper is fugly. But when he takes off from the lane he needs clearance from air traffic control. Kid is serious quick and can jump out of the building. He threw a few down that were very impressive. Supposedly he is MR's cousin. Nice player that could be a major contributor at Temple if he can improve his jumper.

You're banished from this thread forever. Saying negative things about Malachi is forbidden, absolutely forbidden. For God sake, he's a Mickey D AA and the 19th rated player in his class. You need to get a pair of orange colored glasses, my friend.

So a kid who has earned his ranking over the course of 4+ yrs playing high level hs and aau ball isnt allowed to have a great overall game, when his teammate ( Powell) was on fire 2nd half? The kid has showed up plenty in big moments. Of course we can be critical of his defense and effort, but ill guarantee once he gets to cuse-that will change. Point is, he may not be an instant impact frosh next yr, but he's going to be a good one with time and it really seems like more people want to be right about the negative just to say. "I told ya so". some of you guys kill me sometimes, the "keeping it real" club...ha. I think ill go with the staffs views though..thanks.

So a kid who has earned his ranking over the course of 4+ yrs playing high level hs and aau ball isnt allowed to have a great overall game, when his teammate ( Powell) was on fire 2nd half? The kid has showed up plenty in big moments. Of course we can be critical of his defense and effort, but ill guarantee once he gets to cuse-that will change. Point is, he may not be an instant impact frosh next yr, but he's going to be a good one with time and it really seems like more people want to be right about the negative just to say. "I told ya so". some of you guys kill me sometimes, the "keeping it real" club...ha. I think ill go with the staffs views though..thanks.

Always helps to have folks keepin' it real cuz often times people get out over their skis talking about how great a player is when all that does is build crazy expectations that won't be realized. And all they've ever seen is a mix tape where every play is sterling. As for your guarantee that MR will change when he gets to SU - I hope you're right. He'd better or he'll enjoy a good view from the bench.

bornagainOrange said:

I don't want to be right. I want to be wrong. But this is the third person in in last few weeks who came away with the same observation. It's obvious he has great talent, but it's also obvious that he's going to have turn it up several notches when he gets to SU or JB's in-your-face moments this year with Joseph and others will seem tame once Malachi starts playing.

Fortunately, if things remain status quo and all of the expected players return, this incoming freshmen class won't have to play major roles next year and will be able to settle into the program. From what I've seen and heard, none of the freshmen are ready to make a major impact next year.

As for your guarantee that MR will change when he gets to SU - I hope you're right. He'd better or he'll enjoy a good view from the bench.
You sure that you hope im right? There are certain flaws with almost every top rated recruit coming out of hs. I for one, do not expect MR to be a superstar his fr yr. Anyone with common sense and any kind of bball knowledge knows how unlikely that is. Im just not a fan of those being critical every time the kid plays a game not to their liking. He's earned his ranking despite the performance you saw in person.

[QUOTE/]cuseguy, post: 1315944, member: 524"]I don't want to be right. I want to be wrong. But this is the third person in in last few weeks who came away with the same observation. It's obvious he has great talent, but it's also obvious that he's going to have turn it up several notches when he gets to SU or JB's in-your-face moments this year with Joseph and others will seem tame once Malachi starts playing.

Fortunately, if things remain status quo and all of the expected players return, this incoming freshmen class won't have to play major roles next year and will be able to settle into the program. From what I've seen and heard, none of the freshmen are ready to make a major impact next year.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough...still feel that he will "get it" and learn his defensive slides/ positions and effort needed, fairly quick in order to see court time. I believe hes a 2 maybe 3 yr guy max. Hes too good of a shooter and talent not to be in my opinion.

I don't want to be right. I want to be wrong. But this is the third person in in last few weeks who came away with the same observation. It's obvious he has great talent, but it's also obvious that he's going to have turn it up several notches when he gets to SU or JB's in-your-face moments this year with Joseph and others will seem tame once Malachi starts playing.

Fortunately, if things remain status quo and all of the expected players return, this incoming freshmen class won't have to play major roles next year and will be able to settle into the program. From what I've seen and heard, none of the freshmen are ready to make a major impact next year.
cuseguy, I would love to see you give a shot at listing and breaking down only what Malachi does well, you seem to excel at only listing the things you see as negative. An objective observer should list both. Give it a go, it may be helpful... I know he has positives in his game.

JDubbin said:
cuseguy, I would love to see you give a shot at listing and breaking down only what Malachi does well, you seem to excel at only listing the things you see as negative. An objective observer should list both. Give it a go, it may be helpful... I know he has positives in his game.

He's a great shooter.

He's a very good free throw shooter.

I appreciate everyone's input here but some people are not taking too kindly to any kind of negative scouting reports on Malachi. Some posts seem to be mostly negative in tone, so I thought I'd weigh in with what I've heard.

I have friends who coach in NJ...coaches talk to each other. I've heard the similar negative (and positive) things about Malachi...

Negatives: He doesn't hustle a lot. He tends to be perimeter-oriented. He's not competitive on the glass. His defense is TERRIBLE. The poor D thing has been repeated to me on several occasions from a lot of different people.

Positives: He has a beautiful shooting stroke with a very high/ quick release. He isn't afraid to take the big shot. He is a better athlete than he is given credit for. He is well-liked by his teammates.

Last edited:
We need a name for the non orange colored glass wearers. Because they are always the exact opposite of the ones they label the orange Kool aid drinkers.

cusetown1 said:
We need a name for the non orange colored glass wearers. Because they are always the exact opposite of the ones they label the orange Kool aid drinkers.
Never read so much negative shhhit from one person on this board about more than just one player.

I appreciate everyone's input here but some people are not taking too kindly to any kind of negative scouting reports on Malachi. Some posts seem to be mostly negative in tone, so I thought I'd weigh in with what I've heard.

I have friends who coach in NJ...coaches talk to each other. I've heard the similar negative (and positive) things about Malachi...

Negatives: He doesn't hustle a lot. He tends to be perimeter-oriented. He's not competitive on the glass. His defense is TERRIBLE. The poor D thing has been repeated to me on several occasions from a lot of different people.

Positives: He has a beautiful shooting stroke with a very high/ quick release. He isn't afraid to take the big shot. He is a better athlete than he is given credit for. He is well-liked by his teammates.

Count me not concerned about the defense. He'll play defense here or he won't play. It won't be a negative once that is instilled in him. Once BJ started playing D this year, everything has started to fall into place for him.

Cusefan0307 said:
Count me not concerned about the defense. He'll play defense here or he won't play. It won't be a negative once that is instilled in him. Once BJ started playing D this year, everything has started to fall into place for him.

Hey you know what you are talking about here. : )

I for one think having a great shooter will help this team right away next year. I don't think anyone believes he'll be a starter next year as long as everyone who can return, does. He has time to develop his game further beyond just being a great shooter. You can guarantee he will not see time if he isn't hustling on D, Jimmy don't play that. So I guess I don't see the problem.

I agree. He will get that message very early on. He obviously CAN play good defense. I'm amazed that his high school coach hasn't been on his case. I haven't heard anything about Malachi not being coachable.

how does Richard Cranium sound ?
How about Ivana Tinkle?
A0ENJbF.jpg

You sure that you hope im right? There are certain flaws with almost every top rated recruit coming out of hs. I for one, do not expect MR to be a superstar his fr yr. Anyone with common sense and any kind of bball knowledge knows how unlikely that is. Im just not a fan of those being critical every time the kid plays a game not to their liking. He's earned his ranking despite the performance you saw in person.

Hell yeah I hope u r right. I've been an SU fan prolly longer than u have been alive. Sorry but when somebody shows an obvious lack of hustle I am going to point it out. I also live in Mercer County and my pov on MR is shared by many.

FWIW I'm on record as saying I like to hear both positives and negatives about recruits so I can make up my own mind when I get a chance to see him in orange. Some of the criticism from his hometown boys seems like they are butthurt about him for some reason. If a kid from the Albany area (my adopted hometown) were coming to Cuse, and I got to watch him play a bunch in high school, I couldn't help but be excited I got to watch him develop and see his growth once he gets coached up by a HOF coach. To each his own though, tearing a kid down is one way to go. You'll be right at home on the BBall board, just look for any thread titled "Cooney" or "BJ"

Hell yeah I hope u r right. I've been an SU fan prolly longer than u have been alive. Sorry but when somebody shows an obvious lack of hustle I am going to point it out. I also live in Mercer County and my pov on MR is shared by many.

Oh snap! Well for the record I am 32, almost 33, and have been a fan since I was old enough to pay attention. ..so say 27 yrs or so. Ive never watched MR inbperson, but have watched every live game hes been in online or tv. My opinion remains the same, he will be a good one and if he doesn't play D then I will eat crow as he will be sitting alot. Im saying a 2-3 yr kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom