SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

I like the hate to lose to love to beat idea as to what defines a rivalry. For me there's only one team in the ACC that fits that bill: Duke. Okay, maybe Louisville. Pitt not so much now that jack donkey is gone. UNC, NC State, bla, bla, bla, who cares.

P.S. Dear moderators, the ability to upload images does not seem to be working. At least for me.

Personally I'd add UNC to the list. But I live in Kansas and can usually get the Jayhawks fans to jump on board for a game to cheer against Roy so that makes it fun for me.

Personally I'd add UNC to the list. But I live in Kansas and can usually get the Jayhawks fans to jump on board for a game to cheer against Roy so that makes it fun for me.

Beating UK and KU are also on love-to-beat-hate-to-lose-to list.

It benefits us both to have a good game.

And TBH, they're not going to go away because we don't play then.

And GMAB with Georgetown. They suck
We could play any decent team in MSG so the benefit angle is BS.

Who is saying they will go away? They are elite program but dealing with their fans is miserable.

Georgetown-Syracuse moves the needle nationally it is a top 5 college hoops alltime. UConn-Syracuse has some history but it isn't the same as Georgetown-Syracuse. UConn filled Georgetown's void while they went down but that rivalry matter more.

Requiem for the Big East wasn't about Syracuse-UConn it was about Syracuse-Georgetown.

We could play any decent team in MSG so the benefit angle is BS.

Who is saying they will go away? They are elite program but dealing with their fans is miserable.

Georgetown-Syracuse moves the needle nationally it is a top 5 college hoops alltime. UConn-Syracuse has some history but it isn't the same as Georgetown-Syracuse. UConn filled Georgetown's void while they went down but that rivalry matter more.

Requiem for the Big East wasn't about Syracuse-UConn it was about Syracuse-Georgetown.

I don't think, in 2016, GU\SU moves the national needle. At least not as much as UCONN\SU.

UConn fans make this game less appealing. I am sure we have our fair share of DB fans but that fanbase makes it miserable for visiting fans and that is a fact whether they want to admit it or not.

It is one thing to have a healthy hatred of a team/fanbase but UConn fans go beyond this. I guess the only solace is the game is at MSG but still they are getting more than we are. We could play anybody at MSG almost like Duke.

We have conference rivalries with Pitt and Louisville. Playing Georgetown/Villanova should be the ideal OOC opponents and St. John's is strictly to give the NYC a home game. Connecticut is a successful version of NC State. In North Carolina UNC fans get annoyed with NC State fans and their attitude/behavior towards UNC. Unlike NC State Connecticut has actually won NCs recently so they should be proud of their program but their constant need for validation is freaking annoying.

Hopefully Mike Hopkins feels no nostalgia when he takes over to continue playing Connecticut.

The best part about beating UCONN is going to their board and going all Scott Tenorman.

UConn played their conference tournament in front of 15k empty seats.

To back up Alsasc...a few years ago I was at MSG, two UConn fans happened to sit behind me. And they went on and on about how JB is terrible, he ruined Pearl, DC, what a horrible influence, etc.

I turned around and asked how their hero did with Reggie Lewis.

F them, this game is stupid and they are a bitter bunch. Time to move on to rivals in conference.

Alsacs said:
Georgetown-Syracuse moves the needle nationally it is a top 5 college hoops.

Disagree. SU v Uconn moves the national needle far more than SU v Gtown. This isn't the 80s anymore. Gtown isn't even on the national radar anymore.

I have been to over 20 college football venues the only place I have ever had beer poured on me from behind was at UConn on a Friday night in 2005. That fanbase was beyond classless. They constantly need validation where as I wouldn't care if about it if my team won games/championships.

At UConn in 2012 was such a miserable situation due to their fanbase's butthurt at the fact Syracuse was leaving. Their fans were awful and not in a good rivalry way. It was in a how dare you think about leaving UConn behind arrogant way.

We should never play them again in FB and BB in CT but Herm Fraizer is so bad at his job we are forced to play them this year in FB and BB at MSG atleast isn't in CT. I won't go to the FB game at Connecticut because of the 2005 incident.

If this were a fun rivalry then fine play it but UConn feels Syracuse should have their backs when we owe them nothing.

Disagree. SU v Uconn moves the national needle far more than SU v Gtown. This isn't the 80s anymore. Gtown isn't even on the national radar anymore.
Top 5 college basketball rivalries
1. Duke vs. North Carolina
2. Indiana vs. Purdue
3. Kentucky vs. Louisville
4. Syracuse vs. Georgetown
5. Cincinnati vs. Xavier

Georgetown hasn't been as successful as Connecticut but they are a national program. They suck because they are Georgetown and Thompson is an awful in-game coach but the program has juice.

I have been to over 20 college football venues the only place I have ever had beer poured on me from behind was at UConn on a Friday night in 2005. That fanbase was beyond classless. They constantly need validation where as I wouldn't care if about it if my team won games/championships.

At UConn in 2012 was such a miserable situation due to their fanbase's butthurt at the fact Syracuse was leaving. Their fans were awful and not in a good rivalry way. It was in a how dare you think about leaving UConn behind arrogant way.

We should never play them again in FB and BB in CT but Herm Fraizer is so bad at his job we are forced to play them this year in FB and BB at MSG atleast isn't in CT. I won't go to the FB game at Connecticut because of the 2005 incident.

If this were a fun rivalry then fine play it but UConn feels Syracuse should have their backs when we owe them nothing.

Damn if I had that experience ID probably feel exactly the same.

We could have scheduled Villanova. I enjoy watching SU-Gtown, SU-Nova.
We could schedule almost anybody in a neutral site game at MSG. Duke does every year. This game benefits Connecticut more than Syracuse. SU already has the Barclay's Center game.

If we wanted another tough game then schedule a top 25 team on the road in a home/home and bank a future appealing home game. UConn at MSG will be treated a de facto home game for Syracuse it isn't as beneficial as the win in the Bahamas.

Nobody wants to see more cupcakes but playing UConn sucks. The fanbase wars are old and we could play other good teams.

Interesting point.

I'm ambivalent about this one - I get the argument that we're better off than UConn and don't need to do them any favors by scheduling them, especially in an arena where they occasionally had a home-court advantage against us; I also like to play neutral-site games against name teams. And I don't like UConn or Ollie or many of their low-class fans.

In a perfect world, I'd rather see us play Nova instead.

Top 5 college basketball rivalries
1. Duke vs. North Carolina
2. Indiana vs. Purdue
3. Kentucky vs. Louisville
4. Syracuse vs. Georgetown
5. Cincinnati vs. Xavier

Georgetown hasn't been as successful as Connecticut but they are a national program. They suck because they are Georgetown and Thompson is an awful in-game coach but the program has juice.

As in Hoya urine.

UConn played their conference tournament in front of 15k empty seats.

To back up Alsasc...a few years ago I was at MSG, two UConn fans happened to sit behind me. And they went on and on about how JB is terrible, he ruined Pearl, DC, what a horrible influence, etc.

I turned around and asked how their hero did with Reggie Lewis.

F them, this game is stupid and they are a bitter bunch. Time to move on to rivals in conference.
So you're basing an entire fanbase around the actions of two fans that sat behind you at one game a few years ago? If any opposing fanbases came on this website and read this thread, and used your logic, they would think that 75% of SU fans are arrogant, classless, and delusional.

SU and UConn don't owe each other anything. It was a great rivalry for about 25 years, but are you really pissy about playing them in MSG? Why aren't we embracing this game, this opportunity? If we proclaim ourselves as New York's team, we should play any team, any time, at MSG.

You're acting like UConn stole your lunch and now you're threatening to not go to school the next day.

If we want to be viewed as an elite program, these are the games we need to play, and win.

You guys realize we're recruiting 4 big time recruits from New York City, right? 4 potential McDonald's All-Americans, who are all from NYC. And some of you don't want this game at MSG, and would rather let UConn play Michigan, Maryland, or Duke at MSG. If we want to lay claim to NYC, we better embrace this opportunity and show these recruits we really are NY's team.

So you're basing an entire fanbase around the actions of two fans that sat behind you at one game a few years ago? If any opposing fanbases came on this website and read this thread, and used your logic, they would think that 75% of SU fans are arrogant, classless, and delusional.

SU and UConn don't owe each other anything. It was a great rivalry for about 25 years, but are you really pissy about playing them in MSG? Why aren't we embracing this game, this opportunity? If we proclaim ourselves as New York's team, we should play any team, any time, at MSG.

You're acting like UConn stole your lunch and now you're threatening to not go to school the next day.

If we want to be viewed as an elite program, these are the games we need to play, and win.
I disagree with the last part of your statement. We are a elite program and we don't NEED to play UConn to prove it. I know you post on the boneyard (why I can't imagine) and like to hear what a sensible Syracuse fan you are. Fine. Whatever. I try to avoid dealing with ignorant, bitter people, but to each their own. as for the rest, I want to play UConn and am glad we set up this game or series if that is what it is. I like beating them and hate losing to them. That is the fun of games to me. Oh, next time you are on the boneyard and they site 4 to 1, do remind them that the first tie breaker in any league I have ever played in or watched is what? Head to head. We are up 55-36. And that includes 8 of the last 10.

I disagree with the last part of your statement. We are a elite program and we don't NEED to play UConn to prove it. I know you post on the boneyard (why I can't imagine) and like to hear what a sensible Syracuse fan you are. Fine. Whatever. I try to avoid dealing with ignorant, bitter people, but to each their own. as for the rest, I want to play UConn and am glad we set up this game or series if that is what it is. I like beating them and hate losing to them. That is the fun of games to me. Oh, next time you are on the boneyard and they site 4 to 1, do remind them that the first tie breaker in any league I have ever played in or watched is what? Head to head. We are up 55-36. And that includes 8 of the last 10.
I post on BY since I live in Hartford at the moment and 3 of our top 4 targets for 2017 also hold UConn offers. And I'm not sure that argument makes sense. Who cares about head to head over 25 years? Do recruits know that? Does Hamidou Diallo care that SU is 55-36 against UConn since the 1980s? The only reason recruits like Diallo consider UConn is their 4 titles since 1999.

Are we an elite program? Tier 1 with Duke, UK, Kansas? If so we need to start recruiting like one, and beating UConn at MSG would help 2017 recruiting which is absolutely critical to the next 5 years of the program.

I can only bore the board with so many stories - was just backing up another poster's experience with one of my own.

We play teams like Duke and UNC in prime time in front of packed houses. That's elite. Yesterday's rivals are just that.

I can only bore the board with so many stories - was just backing up another poster's experience with one of my own.

We play teams like Duke and UNC in prime time in front of packed houses. That's elite. Yesterday's rivals are just that.
Right but we can only play Duke and UNC a combined 2 or 3 times a year, and it's usually one home game at the Dome where we can get ~35,000. Why not get as many games in MSG against big name opponent as possible?

I have zero problem with the game. We are better than Uconn as a program right now.

We've had more recent success against them than St. Johns.

As far as recruiting goes, I'm sure most players would rather play Louisville, Unc, and Duke than Memphis, Houston, and whatever other state they play.

And to clarify, I hate UConn as much as anyone else on this board, but pretending they're not relevant is stupid. They won a title 2 years ago. Is Villanova irrelevant? They're not a P5 team either, but just won a title. We compete with Nova and UConn for recruits, check out the leader board for Green, Walker, Diallo, Tucker, Richards, etc.

If we didn't play them this year we wouldn't of been in the tournament and we wouldn't of been in the final four.

Right but we can only play Duke and UNC a combined 2 or 3 times a year, and it's usually one home game at the Dome where we can get ~35,000. Why not get as many games in MSG against big name opponent as possible?

We play our conference schedule, a high profile B1G program, usually a preseason tournament in NY (this year Brooklyn), and some old Big East programs. At some point it's overkill.

The Georgetown game (not a great example since what happened to JB a couple of days before) was their Super Bowl. That's a lot of big games before we get to a very challenging conference slate.

If we didn't play them this year we wouldn't of been in the tournament and we wouldn't of been in the final four.

That's not my point - we play every year in a good tournament. They happened to play in that as well. If it falls that way so be it. Playing a tournament and them and the BiG game and the other old BE games is a lot before our conference schedule.

I think it's a good thing we are starting to play some tougher non-conference games. That's how we got into the tournament this past year

We play our conference schedule, a high profile B1G program, usually a preseason tournament in NY (this year Brooklyn), and some old Big East programs. At some point it's overkill.

The Georgetown game (not a great example since what happened to JB a couple of days before) was their Super Bowl. That's a lot of big games before we get to a very challenging conference slate.
Another opportunity for a quality win at a neutral site. It's more revenue, eyeballs on TV, good PR in NYC, good contact and talking points with recruits, another opportunity for NYC/NJ/CT alums to see SU play. Beating Fordham in the Dome does nothing for us, beating UConn at MSG does a lot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom