SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

Another opportunity for a quality win at a neutral site. It's more revenue, eyeballs on TV, good PR in NYC, good contact and talking points with recruits, another opportunity for NYC/NJ/CT alums to see SU play. Beating Fordham in the Dome does nothing for us, beating UConn at MSG does a lot.

I think you're a little too close to the Boneyard. Before our conference schedule which is brutal and best in the country we have plenty of other tough games and will end up in NY with St. John's and / or another pre-season tournament and our conference tournament there the next two seasons.

It's weird to see people argue that we play too many "tough" games.

If we play UCONN, pretty sure well be able to squeeze in a few cupcakes. And for as tough as the ACC is, Boston College is still a member of that conference.

And the next time I hear anyone cite Georgetown as a "tough game" will be too soon. That team sucks. And if we scheduled Rutgers tomorrow, I'm sure they'd treat that game like their Super Bowl too.

I think you're a little too close to the Boneyard. Before our conference schedule which is brutal and best in the country we have plenty of other tough games and will end up in NY with St. John's and / or another pre-season tournament and our conference tournament there the next two seasons.
I think you're a little far away from how this business works. So you're saying we should play a maximum of one game in NYC per year? We should only play South Carolina in Brooklyn, and if given the opportunity to play a quality opponent at MSG, say no, since we already make a trip there?

Do you understand that if we don't play this game, UConn plays a team like Michigan, Maryland, or Duke at MSG? Would you rather that happen?

I think you're a little far away from how this business works. So you're saying we should play a maximum of one game in NYC per year? We should only play South Carolina in Brooklyn, and if given the opportunity to play a quality opponent at MSG, say no, since we already make a trip there?

Do you understand that if we don't play this game, UConn plays a team like Michigan, Maryland, or Duke at MSG? Would you rather that happen?

Careful. Wouldn't want another good game on the schedule!

I don't get it either, people are acting like scheduling UConn is swapping out 7 cupcakes for a 7 game series against the Golden State Warriors.

Playing South Carolina, Georgetown, St. Johns, UConn OOC is not Villanova, Kansas, Kentucky, MSU. We'll be fine.

Next year we play SC and are more or less the home team for the conference tournament. We'll always have games in NY and games in prime time on ESPN with top talent calling the games. You need a map (outside of the Boneyard) to find a Connecticut game in anything.

UConn plays in a junk conference. We play in a great conference. I get people want another game to go to but our schedule is plenty plenty tough and will just get stronger.

If we play UCONN, pretty sure well be able to squeeze in a few cupcakes. And for as tough as the ACC is, Boston College is still a member of that conference.

And the next time I hear anyone cite Georgetown as a "tough game" will be too soon. That team sucks. And if we scheduled Rutgers tomorrow, I'm sure they'd treat that game like their Super Bowl too.

Georgetown beat us pretty good. JT III has a bit of Jamie Dixon in him the way he approaches us.

10 years ago everybody complained because the schedule was cupcake city.

Even if we don't have Mal, we are still more talented than all these teams we will face in the non-conference.

I don't see many negatives at all really.

Next year we play SC and are more or less the home team for the conference tournament. We'll always have games in NY and games in prime time on ESPN with top talent calling the games. You need a map (outside of the Boneyard) to find a Connecticut game in anything.

UConn plays in a junk conference. We play in a great conference. I get people want another game to go to but our schedule is plenty plenty tough and will just get stronger.
Okay, but adding another game at MSG is a good thing. More money to SU, it would be nationally televised while Canisius at the Dome wouldn't.

And you still haven't addressed one of my points:
If we don't play this game, UConn plays a team like Michigan, Maryland, or Duke at MSG? Would you rather that happen?

Also, nice to see you resorting to 4th grade insults saying I'm too close to the BY, just because I talk college basketball with non-SU fans in my neighborhood.

Okay, but adding another game at MSG is a good thing. More money to SU, it would be nationally televised while Canisius at the Dome wouldn't.

If we don't play this game, UConn plays a team like Michigan, Maryland, or Duke at MSG? Would you rather that happen?

Also, nice to see you resorting to 4th grade insults saying I'm too close to the BY, just because I talk college basketball with non-SU fans in my neighborhood.

I'm not against the game, but what makes you think UCONN automatically plays someone else at MSG?

Syracuse could just as easily play Michigan State or Kansas there for instance.

I'm glad we're playing this game. I don't care if it "benefits UConn more". This game helps SU too. It's a game the fans can look forward to, especially in the tri-state area. People complain when we play a crappy OOC schedule, now people complain because "we're helping UConn out". Adios and GO ORANGE!

My only gripe is that it's a Monday night. Gonna be tougher for SU fans to come down than it would've been on the weekend, but better than a Wednesday I suppose.

I actually want one more tough indy game. My disagreement here is the notion that we have something to prove. We don't. But the committee has let everyone know, and we sure learned it last year, that playing tough games away from home, is a ticket in to the tournament. Our toughest league games this year will be at home. Duke, Virginia. We play St john's (not that they are any good) G-town (not that they are any good) at home. One B1G game (Maryland?) on the road. South Carolina on a neutral court. I like playing UConn at MSG or at Hartford. I wish we had Nova on the schedule.

I'm not against the game, but what makes you think UCONN automatically plays someone else at MSG?

Syracuse could just as easily play Michigan State or Kansas there for instance.
As everyone's main argument against me is "UConn needs this game and we don't!!!!" If true, they'd make sure to play someone, maybe Kansas, maybe Ohio State, maybe Navy. As such, it may as well be us.

What do we make for one OOC neutral site game as opposed to a home gate and an ESPNU type of game.

Don't care. As long as they have to play ECU, Tulsa, the Directional Florida's, etc they'll be miles behind. Their game of the season is friggin Cincy. That's going to take a long term toll. It seems incredulous that one OOC game is going to trump a season's worth of lousy games for them.

You want to compete against your friends, there's nothing trolling about that.

Again, I am in favor of this game. Not only that, I wanted it. But I really don't care who UConn plays or where they play them. I don't think that is going to sway any kid to choose UConn over Syracuse. If playing in front of 30,000. the Melo Center, the ACC, a Hall of Fame coach, and our scholl doesn't sell them and UConn playing a game at the MSG does, so be it.

To be fair, between the mouth breathers banging the 4>1* meme, the mouth breather bragging about his fake syrfan account, or the mouthbreathers who think they're legitimately in the running for a Big 10 invite, I don't know why you bother.

What do we make for one OOC neutral site game as opposed to a home gate and an ESPNU type of game.

Don't care. As long as they have to play ECU, Tulsa, the Directional Florida's, etc they'll be miles behind. Their game of the season is friggin Cincy. That's going to take a long term toll. It seems incredulous that one OOC game is going to trump a season's worth of lousy games for them.

You want to compete against your friends, there's nothing trolling about that.
You know, just because you're a moderator, doesn't make you right about every topic on this board. I think it's foolish to cut off our nose to spite our face here.

You're saying, "Let's stay out of MSG this season because we're afraid of helping UConn. Let's stay on Time Warner local instead of ESPN prime time because UConn is there. Let UConn and B1G or Big 12 team get the entire nation's attention that night."

Fortunately, you're not the athletic director.

You know, just because you're a moderator, doesn't make you right about every topic on this board. I think it's foolish to cut off our nose to spite our face here.

You're saying, "Let's stay out of MSG this season because we're afraid of helping UConn. Let's stay on Time Warner local instead of ESPN prime time because UConn is there. Let UConn and B1G or Big 12 team get the entire nation's attention that night."

My moderating duties comprise of taking posts off the OT site with multiple swears words a post. I think the game is needless based on the schedule we play, and its massively necessary for them. So to me, what's the point.

Our AD knows UConn is in a miserable spot.

To be fair, you know how you say that UConn could play someone else at MSG? So could we. Michigan State? Kansas? Kentucky? etc.

The AD didn't make that game. I believe JB does his own scheduling.

To be fair, you know how you say that UConn could play someone else at MSG? So could we. Michigan State? Kansas? Kentucky? etc.
Then why don't we? I'm saying playing UConn at MSG isn't a bad thing. What we don't want is UConn playing another big name in MSG. If we want to be the top dog in NYC, then we should act like it.

It seems we play in NYC every year. And I am in favor of this game against UConn. I have been begging for it. But I disagree that we need it to justify something. We play in the ACC. We don't need to play UConn. They need it more than us. But I don't care. it's still a good game for us.

It seems we play in NYC every year. And I am in favor of this game against UConn. I have been begging for it. But I disagree that we need it to justify something. We play in the ACC. We don't need to play UConn. They need it more than us. But I don't care. it's still a good game for us.

Yeah I agree. I feel like any other arguement misses the point of sports.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom