SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

Christmastime in New York City, walk around and take in the sights, have some frosty beverages at the Blarney and head over to the World's Most Famous Arena to watch us play a team whom beating brings us more excitement than any other.

If this doesn't sound like a wonderful itinerary, I just don't know what to tell you.

Christmastime in New York City, walk around and take in the sights, have some frosty beverages at the Blarney and head over to the World's Most Famous Arena to watch us play a team whom beating brings us more excitement than any other.

If this doesn't sound like a wonderful itinerary, I just don't know what to tell you.

When you say "brings us", I'm not sure "us" is the right pronoun in the first sentence. While I'm fine with playing the game, there are a couple teams higher on my list than they are. I grew up as part of the Georgetown rivalry generation and Duke and North Carolina are both really fun games for me, particularly Duke.

Should help our OOC RPI for another 7 or 8 years. After that it may be better to play someone like Iona.

EDIT - Needed to take the mandatory cheapshot against UConn. But I don't see anything bad about this. More upside from winning, than downside in losing, and I have always leaned towards toughening the OOC.

Last edited:
When you say "brings us", I'm not sure "us" is the right pronoun in the first sentence. While I'm fine with playing the game, there are a couple teams higher on my list than they are. I grew up as part of the Georgetown rivalry generation and Duke and North Carolina are both really fun games for me, particularly Duke.

Fair point. But I do think that UConn remains the most commonly hated team amongst Syracuse fans.

Maybe I am biased because I live in NYC but I fail to see how this isn't awesome

I think a lot of it is a product of our background. Depending on your age, it probably factors in whether Georgetown or UConn means more to you. I split my childhood between Syracuse and Atlanta so our big ACC opponents mean almost as much or equal to me as our Big East rivalries and for people like you that live in NYC, it is awesome to have games like this.

Last edited:
I think a lot of it is a product of our background. Depending on your age, it probably factors in whether Georgetown or UConn means more to you. I split my childhood between Syracuse and Atlanta so our big ACC opponents mean almost as much or equal to me as our Big East rivalries and for people like you that live in NYC, it is awesome to have games like this.

Just turned 32, live in NYC. I would imagine I'm basically right in the prime demo to find this awesome. I get not everyone will feel exactly like me.

I will be 33 in a few weeks, I hate them both, but The Syracuse/Uconn rivalry means more to me.

UConn rivalry means more to me. We compete against them for recruits. We don't really compete with Georgetown, last recruiting battles with Gtown were Rak and Nerlens Noel.

UConn wanted Malachi and Battle. They also want Diallo, Tucker, Bamba, and Richards.
SU offered Gilbert

You know, just because you're a moderator, doesn't make you right about every topic on this board. I think it's foolish to cut off our nose to spite our face here.

You're saying, "Let's stay out of MSG this season because we're afraid of helping UConn. Let's stay on Time Warner local instead of ESPN prime time because UConn is there. Let UConn and B1G or Big 12 team get the entire nation's attention that night."

Fortunately, you're not the athletic director.
Mods are allowed opinions too. You have yours, Bayside has his, I have mine. Just because an opinion doesn't agree with yours doesn't make you right about every topic on this board either. Just sayin'...

UConn rivalry means more to me. We compete against them for recruits. We don't really compete with Georgetown, last recruiting battles with Gtown were Rak and Nerlens Noel.

UConn wanted Malachi and Battle. They also want Diallo, Tucker, Bamba, and Richards.
SU offered Gilbert
not to question your status as an SU fan, but... it is a bit odd how hard you're trying over there to be in their good graces... why any SU fan would try to be part of a place that spews out nothing but ignorance and vitriolic resentment in regard to SU is, well, beyond me... hope you're having fun with those douchebags

not to question your status as an SU fan, but... it is a bit odd how hard you're trying over there to be in their good graces... why any SU fan would try to be part of a place that spews out nothing but ignorance and vitriolic resentment in regard to SU is, well, beyond me... hope you're having fun with those douchebags
I'm trying hard to be in their good graces? By talking college basketball, NBA, and recruiting?

I'm trying hard to be in their good graces? By talking college basketball, NBA, and recruiting?
To what end though? I mean there are other basketball boards where Syracuse isn't hated to go talk hoop , NBA and recruiting on. Everyone there wishes us nothing but ill. i don't blame them for it. We moved up and they didn't. They blame us for some reason. Whatever. But I would be damned if I would hold conversations with people that were upset about our recent tourney run.

Jeeze, for the Boneyard to be such a horrible place, that no true cuse fan would visit, some of you guys sure do know a lot about what is being posted there.

Seriously guys? Let this dude post on whatever board he want's to.. what does it have to do with any of you, or anything that he posts here? I post on an Iditarod board.. Was I supposed to disclose that to you guys first?

Jeeze, for the Boneyard to be such a horrible place, that no true cuse fan would visit, some of you guys sure do know a lot about what is being posted there.

Seriously guys? Let this dude post on whatever board he want's to.. what does it have to do with any of you, or anything that he posts here? I post on an Iditarod board.. Was I supposed to disclose that to you guys first?
Iditarods are ran by sled dogs, which have husky blood in them, so I'm going to question your SU fandom.

Or, as I call it, the Idiot Ride :D

Seriously though, I don't think anyone is telling him NOT to post there. They're just questioning WHY he would want to spend time there.

I did arod?

Must be a Yankees fan. :cool:

I post on an Iditarod board.. Was I supposed to disclose that to you guys first?
lol yeah, perfect analogy :rolleyes:
maybe if said poster wasn't admonishing people in this thread for questioning the benefits of playing ucon... again, a simple question, why would an SU prson join in with a community that COLLECTIVELY does nothing but antagonize and disrespect SU?

Or, as I call it, the Idiot Ride :D

Seriously though, I don't think anyone is telling him NOT to post there. They're just questioning WHY he would want to spend time there.

I just don't get off why anyone should be questioning why he wants to spend time anywhere, whether it's an opponents message board, or the Russian "mens only" spa that he once PMed me about..

lol yeah, perfect analogy :rolleyes:
maybe if said poster wasn't admonishing people in this thread for questioning the benefits of playing ucon... again, a simple question, why would an SU prson join in with a community that COLLECTIVELY does nothing but antagonize and disrespect SU?

A lot of people disagreed with a lot of people in this thread, and I'm sure most of the people that thought playing UCONN at MSG don't also post on the boneyard, so I'm not sure what the two have to do with eachother.. that's all I'm saying.

"I disagree with you blah blah blah"
"I disagree that you disagree with me, blah blah blah, AND you post on their message board so now you are really wrong to be disagreeing with me"

I just think it's stupid. For a board that is like family 90% of the time, 10% of the time we get into some stupid arguments.

Is playing UCONN good for SU hoops or not = good argument btw. I'm on the side of, I love that we are playing them at MSG... Storrs, not so much. I agree with what someone said above. Playing them in the Bahamas was electrifying. I wanted them 100000% more than I wanted Michigan. When you guys are walking out of MSG after the W... You wont for a second be thinking "well, we didn't even need to play them. Didn't help our program at all".

I just think it's stupid. For a board that is like family 90% of the time, 10% of the time we get into some stupid arguments.

"That's the difference between us, you think we're fighting, and I think we are finally talking"

I must have missed the part where anyone told him not to post there. We just wonder why he would want to. Why go to a place that hates our guts? That hopes we lose every game. Seems there are better ways to post on the internet. But no one told him not to. Just that they wouldn't and couldn't understand why he would want to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom