The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread | Page 35 | Syracusefan.com

The all-inclusive Cuse Coaching Thread

djorange1989 said:
Oh I agree I didn't mean he would be moving down but he wouldn't be moving up so I can't see it. Dome or not.

I think his past disqualifies him. I think Coyle likes "straight and narrow" types.

Are Dana Holgorsen and Sonny Dykes safe after this season? Would we have a chance to steal them even if they are?

Holgorsen might think it's impossible to win at WVU being such an outlier in the Big 12. Add in the Dome, ACC, little less obsessed fanbase up here. He's making $3 million annually. Is SU able to match that with maybe a little bump or better job security than what he has now?

It's too bad Tony Franklin is a weirdo and seemingly has no interest in being a head coach. One of the original innovators of the Air Raid.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ed-ultra-liberal-tony-franklin-at-home-at-cal

Even though we beat Holgorsen soundly twice, WV put on one of the best offensive clinics ever versus Clemson in the Orange Bowl. That was ridiculous. He and Franklin are definitely mad scientists. I really like Franklin, I don't mind that he's out there the biggest issue with him as u stated is he has no interest in being a HC. It's these type of guys that could have some success in the Dome. I am not advocating for either one of them but I like the way they coach and their systems. I think Dykes is safe at 6-4 currently probably 6-6 at end of year but he will be fine for at least another year or two. Love the concept that holgorsen came up with and trying to keep a lid on it.

Interesting that Franklin states " Year 3 is the year you have to win"

Last edited:
Even though we beat Holgorsen soundly twice, WV put on one of the best offensive clinics ever versus Clemson in the Orange Bowl. That was ridiculous. He and Franklin are definitely mad scientists. I really like Franklin, I don't mind that he's out there the biggest issue with him as u stated is he has no interest in being a HC. It's these type of guys that could have some success in the Dome. I am not advocating for either one of them but I like the way they coach and their systems. I think Dykes is safe at 6-4 currently probably 6-6 at end of year but he will be fine for at least another year or two. Love the concept that holgorsen came up with and trying to keep a lid on it.

I'd be interested to see how Holgorsen would do in the ACC where teams aren't as familiar with the Air Raid. Concern would be defense but land a guy like Orgeron with a AHC label and we're in business.

Year 3? Nah. It takes six or seven years according to some dinosaurs.

I'd be interested to see how Holgorsen would do in the ACC where teams aren't as familiar with the Air Raid. Concern would be defense but land a guy like Orgeron with a AHC label and we're in business.

Year 3? Nah. It takes six or seven years according to some dinosaurs.

That would be a great combo. I think Dana is safe as well.

fly sweep was basically like a wildcat to tavon austin where he is already running top speed when he gets the ball

one thing that was cool about holgorsen was that he gave all the credit for the play to bob stitt, didn't take any credit

when all these air raid teams perfect back shoulder throws the way stitt does them , defense is going to be hopeless

Well, we do have a big shed for all those players suffering from concussions
500866349_640.jpg
I doubt that Syracuse has a player as obnoxiously filled with a sense of entitlement as Craig James' son. So it wouldn't be needed.

WSU is not a higher level P5. And we have a better history. If anything it's a lateral move - but we have a dome.
And the reality is that even when Wazzou has been at the top of the Pac, the Left Coast media ignores the Cougars. The NY media will be very interested in Cuse football team making noise. And Leach would feed on that.

Herman's raise to $3M couldn't have come at a better time IMO. I hope the Syracuse BOT took notice; if you want to compete at this level, you better be willing to pay. If not, then there is no need to continue these discussion exercises.

You pay for what you get. Money talks and bullsh!t walks.

I was throwing out a theoretical case if you're the AD and just have the funds to hire a top OC type like Frost or Riley (Remember that was Herman and Montgomery last year), but would have more funds to hire a HC type like Babers, Campbell or the equivalent if you wait a year? What do you do?
If you wait a year and SU wins 8 games next year then you'd save even more. ;)

Herman's raise to $3M couldn't have come at a better time IMO. I hope the Syracuse BOT took notice; if you want to compete at this level, you better be willing to pay. If not, then there is no need to continue these discussion exercises.

You pay for what you get. Money talks and bullsh!t walks.

But, but...Houston doesn't have ACC money! How did they do this?!

If you wait a year and SU wins 8 games next year then you'd save even more. ;)
If we keep calling timeouts on the 7 with under 2 mins to go in the half we won't have to worry about 8 wins ever

Board fave Justin Fuente being reported as #1 candidate to replace HCFB at Va. Tech. If true, can cross him off the list.

While I still would like to see Shafer get another year, IF a change is made, I already know who I'm betting the house on as our next coach, and his name ain't Dino, Campbell, Rhule, Fleck, Fuente, or Orgeron. And a friend just told me that this coach is very interested in the gig if it does in fact come open.

I don't mean to sound cryptic, but literally, I was told this name by a friend while logging into the Skowt board and seeing the same name mentioned there, and I don't want to even remotely seem like I'm taking info from that site, so I'm trying to tread carefully. Despite the fact that my friend told me this one is a very real possibility before I saw it on Skowt.

I don't mean to sound cryptic, but literally, I was told this name by a friend while logging into the Skowt board and seeing the same name mentioned there, and I don't want to even remotely seem like I'm taking info from that site, so I'm trying to tread carefully. Despite the fact that my friend told me this one is a very real possibility before I saw it on Skowt.

Does he know Coyle from being at Boise State together?:cool:

While I still would like to see Shafer get another year, IF a change is made, I already know who I'm betting the house on as our next coach, and his name ain't Dino, Campbell, Rhule, Fleck, Fuente, or Orgeron. And a friend just told me that this coach is very interested in the gig if it does in fact come open.

Is my presumption correct that you think this candidate would be better than those listed in your post?

Is my presumption correct that you think this candidate would be better than those listed in your post?
I honestly don't have any feeling about that one way or the other. Just who I was told is a candidate who Coyle has on his list, and who has mutual interest in SU.

Oil and natural gas multimillionaires.

The more accurate response is "wealthy alumni that care about the program." Is that something SU lacks? The source of how the alumni made their money is irrelevant.

I had a whole thread ready to go on Holgerson, but never hit submit because i didnt think he would get fired. Like you said, we beat him twice, but i honestly think we could do WAY WORSE than Holgy. Sign me up.

I honestly don't have any feeling about that one way or the other. Just who I was told is a candidate who Coyle has on his list, and who has mutual interest in SU.

I would guess it would have been someone he already interviewed. I still like the idea of Frost as HC and ED O has AHC, DC and RC.

I would guess it would have been someone he already interviewed. I still like the idea of Frost as HC and ED O has AHC, DC and RC.
If a change is, in fact, made...I would be on board with that scenario. I don't think we could afford them both, though.

That said - I was curious as to what Helfrich makes at Oregon since Frost would be looking at that, and I was surprised to learn it's only $3.1. I would have expected more from THE Nike school.