USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 59 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

I would like to insert this into the conversation: UCF and USF are bigger schools in larger population areas than Florida State, Florida or Miami. If we have to create a new ACC out of the "left behinds", they will give us Florida exposure and could turn into powerhouses than can carry the conference flag.

I would like to insert this into the conversation: UCF and USF are bigger schools in larger population areas than Florida State, Florida or Miami. If we have to create a new ACC out of the "left behinds", they will give us Florida exposure and could turn into powerhouses than can carry the conference flag.
USF has hit 2 in the polls

He isn't saying for free. Why delay the inevitable? Come up with exit fees and be done with it. For example...

2023 $200M
2024 $190M
2025 $180M
2026 $170M
2027 $160M
2028 $150M
2029 $140M
2030 $130M
2031 $120M
2032 $110M
2033 $100M
2034 $90M
2035 $80M
2036 $70M

How is holding a school hostage and going to the courts a good thing? Why act like UConn when you can act with honor? The schools should be looking to the future and planning for that, not fighting over the next few years and a few bucks. It is petty.
Because contracts were entered into for a very specific reason by all parties. Each school did extensive due diligence and decided to agree to the terms of the GOR in full.
My company provides ser services to major corporations including Cisco, Microsoft, HP and others. Many of our contracts are long term.
In some cases if i could simply break the contract and re allocate Human capital to a different project we would significantly increase our profits. Conversely im sure that our clients could in some instances shift work to a competitor of mine and save money.

The reason this doesn't happen is two fold.
First is the relationship. That is always the key. Second is the contract.

The GOR and its draconian penalties for breaking it are the glue that forces the parties to try to make the current situation work.
Without the GOR the ACC would most likely lose 3-5 teams.
Is that fair to their partners?
The answer is yes but only if those schools that decide to leave honor their contracts.

There is no way any of the remaining members should ever allow the contract to be broken.

The above is holding them accountable. They have to pay their way out of the GOR. Schools will leave before 2036. Why go to court to get divorced when it can be done amicably? So yes taking a school to court and being a d1ck is UConnesque. The ACC will not stay together long term. Let's make a plan for ending it vs fighting out of spite.

"Now, if you want to make a deal where we waive the GOR in exchange for a boatload of money, that is a different story."

That is what we are saying. So you agree with us. Took long enough.
Taking them to court would not be UConnesque. How can you not understand that. First, let's be clear on one important point. UConn didn't take anyone to court. The state A.G. did. Not the same thing at all. Basic civics which I see is not taken by the same people that don't take business courses. To enforce a business agreement, is not being a dick. What in the world do you do for a living? And to me finally getting it. I said a boatload of money. That means a lot more than what the GOR would give us.

Last edited:
Because contracts were entered into for a very specific reason by all parties. Each school did extensive due diligence and decided to agree to the terms of the GOR in full.
My company provides ser services to major corporations including Cisco, Microsoft, HP and others. Many of our contracts are long term.
In some cases if i could simply break the contract and re allocate Human capital to a different project we would significantly increase our profits. Conversely im sure that our clients could in some instances shift work to a competitor of mine and save money.

The reason this doesn't happen is two fold.
First is the relationship. That is always the key. Second is the contract.

The GOR and its draconian penalties for breaking it are the glue that forces the parties to try to make the current situation work.
Without the GOR the ACC would most likely lose 3-5 teams.
Is that fair to their partners?
The answer is yes but only if those schools that decide to leave honor their contracts.

There is no way any of the remaining members should ever allow the contract to be broken.
Forget it. Some people are not understanding of business principles. We have lived it. Therein, lies the difference. In their world, you are being a dick for standing up for the contract that you signed. You know, when I was a kid, we played checkers. And sometimes we played you had to jump, and sometimes we played that you didn't. But we always set the rules before the game. I guess we were being a dick if you enforced that rule.

Forget it. Some people are not understanding of business principles. We have lived it. Therein, lies the difference. In their world, you are being a dick for standing up for the contract that you signed. You know, when I was a kid, we played checkers. And sometimes we played you had to jump, and sometimes we played that you didn't. But we always set the rules before the game. I guess we were being a dick if you enforced that rule.
if you dont think every school has a team of lawyers coming through this 'contract' and GOR you really are playing checkers by some weird-ass rules as you are continuing to bring a knife to a gunfight.

i feel bad for those left out schools and their donors who are clinging to this GOR like a lifeboat in the ocean, not realizing theres no food, engine or even a paddle onboard...while they pour money into building something, in hopes to compete with OSU and Bama in 10 years...only to have it ripped out from under their feet in 5-6 years when the cost for Clemson, FSU and whomever is more palatable for them to leave.

the alternative of course is not building athletic infrastructure and just cashing that big ole check dash is happy to write them for a decade and happily build another lecture hall and just leave sports behind

by holding schools hostage we are killing everyone in the room who doesnt already know their ticket is punched.

unzip it and see what can be done to save everyone.

if you dont think every school has a team of lawyers coming through this 'contract' and GOR you really are playing checkers by some weird-ass rules as you are continuing to bring a knife to a gunfight.

i feel bad for those left out schools and their donors who are clinging to this GOR like a lifeboat in the ocean, not realizing theres no food, engine or even a paddle onboard...while they pour money into building something, in hopes to compete with OSU and Bama in 10 years...only to have it ripped out from under their feet in 5-6 years when the cost for Clemson, FSU and whomever is more palatable for them to leave.

the alternative of course is not building athletic infrastructure and just cashing that big ole check dash is happy to write them for a decade and happily build another lecture hall and just leave sports behind

by holding schools hostage we are killing everyone in the room who doesnt already know their ticket is punched.

unzip it and see what can be done to save everyone.
Well, two things are clear. 1. You don't have any understanding of business. That really isn't surprising. The second is even more troublesome. The people that are successful in life, don't panic. They don't sell in a crash. And they don't rush to do things when there is winds blowing against them. You scare so easily. You should change your name to Neville Chamberlain

The time for that would have been when they signed these "contracts." You never put ink to paper on a contract where you don't know exactly how to get out of it/terminate it. You're always optimistic it never comes to that, but it's foolish not to know up front.

still missing the point.

you want the GOR because...why?

i say its antiquated and useless.

uznip it, open it up...see what people got. then tell them their exit fee.

if you prefer doing business by holding a gun to their heads and yelling...youre going nowhere without giving me all your money 1st!!!...then i am wrong and welcome to the good side.

i just dont think thats good business.

and the GOR works as well as a rowboat in a naval battle.

if anyone wants out of the ACC, theyre leaving and i bet a single penny wont be paid to a GOR.

and if there is, it will be so small no one will care and the smart world will laugh at whomever takes its...pettyness.
We’ve heard this tune before, and very few people agree with your GOR views.

SEC has representation by two schools in so many states. I don’t see how another FLA school
Is going to be a problem for them.
Which states other than Alabama, Mississippi and Texas?

While hoping for banjo music, Hollywood settles for the "Hollywood and rust belt conference."

Which states other than Alabama, Mississippi and Texas?
Tennessee. But your point is valid. I thought it was more. When I looked at the actual map, I had to hang my head in shame. I am no w self - banning for 27 minutes and 14 seconds.

Last edited:
Well, two things are clear. 1. You don't have any understanding of business. That really isn't surprising. The second is even more troublesome. The people that are successful in life, don't panic. They don't sell in a crash. And they don't rush to do things when there is winds blowing against them. You scare so easily. You should change your name to Neville Chamberlain
1. you are right, i am not a businessman and certainly not the Prime Minister of the UK, im an advisor on Wall St, but i will take that as a compliment that you think i can rise to such a lofty status, i just wouldnt be foolish like him because...

2. I made my fortune not panicking, but by reading the tea leaves and getting the fluck out of a bad deal (deals often made bad because of a horrible business decision, made by lousy old businessmen living in the past) even if it cost me in the short term. You never rush and there never is a crash, just different opportunities now available. So one better find the right ones with the correct path to success...and then pounce.

im trying to find a way for 14 schools and their North Star to survive and advance in the new world without being held contractually tied to the old one.

but go ahead, sit back in your velvet bath robe and smell whats left of the mahogany desks and walls you installed 40 years ago...and let the young bucks do this, Mortimer Duke.

we will do this all legally to, for we have no need for old businessmen and their cute contracts. we are directing the escape loop holes already put in place, to be opened up.

as you were.

if you makes you feel any better, no one here qualifies to be Randolph to your Mortimer.

Seems to me like you're talking past each other. What I'm hearing is the landscape around a long term contract has changed to the point where it is highly likely one party or more will be willing to break it as the opportunity is greater than the consequences.

Given this likelihood, it might be good business for the parties to the contract to identify, up front, the liquidated damages that would occur on breach. It was thought, at the time of signing, that the math would never work out so that it made sense for a party to leave. Surprise!!

I think what these gents have been (in)eloquently saying is - why not define that now? - knowing full well that certain parties are already doing the math. The point is an acknowledgement - that the GOR will not hold the conference together and cannot do so once the equation produces a different result for certain parties. No one is saying to ignore the damages - only to accept the fact that parties break contracts all the time. Didn't SU break a contract with Wyoming to do an away game there? - - paid a liquidated damages fee IIRC. Breaking contracts is business too. Attempting to hold a party to specific performance in this case will be futile. It's in our interest to make new agreements with new partners based on current facts - that work for us going forward. I don't think anyone is saying not to collect the cash that results from damages for breach of the old contract.

1. you are right, i am not a businessman and certainly not the Prime Minister of the UK, im an advisor on Wall St, but i will take that as a compliment that you think i can rise to such a lofty status, i just wouldnt be foolish like him because...

2. I made my fortune not panicking, but by reading the tea leaves and getting the fluck out of a bad deal (deals often made bad because of a horrible business decision, made by lousy old businessmen living in the past) even if it cost me in the short term. You never rush and there never is a crash, just different opportunities now available. So one better find the right ones with the correct path to success...and then pounce.

im trying to find a way for 14 schools and their North Star to survive and advance in the new world without being held contractually tied to the old one.

but go ahead, sit back in your velvet bath robe and smell whats left of the mahogany desks and walls you installed 40 years ago...and let the young bucks do this, Mortimer Duke.

we will do this all legally to, for we have no need for old businessmen and their cute contracts. we are directing the escape loop holes already put in place, to be opened up.

as you were.

if you makes you feel any better, no one here qualifies to be Randolph to your Mortimer.
Neville, You get more sad every day. I have been a director of financial sales for one of the largest financial institutions in the country. I wouldn't hire you. I would help you get help, however. Not the once a week kind either. The round the clock type.

Seems to me like you're talking past each other. What I'm hearing is the landscape around a long term contract has changed to the point where it is highly likely one party or more will be willing to break it as the opportunity is greater than the consequences.

Given this likelihood, it might be good business for the parties to the contract to identify, up front, the liquidated damages that would occur on breach. It was thought, at the time of signing, that the math would never work out so that it made sense for a party to leave. Surprise!!

I think what these gents have been (in)eloquently saying is - why not define that now? - knowing full well that certain parties are already doing the math. The point is an acknowledgement - that the GOR will not hold the conference together and cannot do so once the equation produces a different result for certain parties. No one is saying to ignore the damages - only to accept the fact that parties break contracts all the time. Didn't SU break a contract with Wyoming to do an away game there? - - paid a liquidated damages fee IIRC. Breaking contracts is business too. Attempting to hold a party to specific performance in this case will be futile. It's in our interest to make new agreements with new partners based on current facts - that work for us going forward. I don't think anyone is saying not to collect the cash that results from damages for breach of the old contract.
Kaiser was saying just let them go. That is what got this started. Just let them go he said. If the money was right, I would make a deal. But the money would have to make those wishing to leave, hurt.

Kaiser was saying just let them go. That is what got this started. Just let them go he said.
Yes.. let them go. Come up with a number - a big fat one - and let them go. It's the only option really. If he's saying something else.. he can say so.

Yes.. let them go. Come up with a number - a big fat one - and let them go. It's the only option really. If he's saying something else.. he can say so.
The thing is..we don't even know that those schools have anywhere to go. We don't know what we don't know. Maybe the SEC doesn't want Clemson since they already have South Carolina. Maybe the SEC doesn't want FSU or Miami since they have Florida. The fact is, we don't know.

Kaiser was saying just let them go. That is what got this started. Just let them go he said. If the money was right, I would make a deal. But the money would have to make those wishing to leave, hurt.
my whole god damn point has been to see what is available and do it amicably and on top of the table so as to not to walk away with nothing.

the GOR is not the exit fee.

and i know what you did, hence the Mortimer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom