We are really, really bad. | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We are really, really bad.

JB runs a NBA style offense, a few cuts screens, it isn't changing whether we talk about it two games ago or today. And White battle can shoot off the dribble.

Lydon is a stretch four who's dribble from the three point line doesn't help. imo Really need dajuan to learn to run a screen and role from just inside the three point line for Lydon.

Gillon could have won it for us today at the risk of being outshot down the stretch and losing by 8-10

This is college. Found the problem.

What's easier- adjusting YOUR system to the players' talent, or forcing the players to fit your system?

there's one answer.

I think your reading comprehension skills are lacking. Because I don't want to give a handy to Franklin Howard before he proves himself to the hype that you and others pass along about him doesn't mean I'm attacking.

No, you claimed he was the most overhyped player ever in the history of the program. How the f do you come up with that? Half the people on this site seem to think he should never play and the rest of us, and I quote, say we saw glimpses last year that lead us to believe he could be good. But he's overhyped? You're ridiculous. Cooney was supposed to be the best shooter in the history of SU hoops. Not so much. All summer long I heard about White and the fact he probably wouldn't miss a shot while playing for SU. But Howard is overhyped. I'm done with you now.

Roby can't do anything on offense right. He needs to Costanza the next game and just do the opposite of what his instincts are telling him.

To quote (the late? former? not quite recruiting guru but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express?) board legend O-man13:

:rolling:

No, you claimed he was the most overhyped player ever in the history of the program. How the f do you come up with that? Half the people on this site seem to think he should never play and the rest of us, and I quote, say we saw glimpses last year that lead us to believe he could be good. But he's overhyped? You're ridiculous. Cooney was supposed to be the best shooter in the history of SU hoops. Not so much. All summer long I heard about White and the fact he probably wouldn't miss a shot while playing for SU. But Howard is overhyped. I'm done with you now.

Frank Howard this off season was more over-hyped than anything I've read on here. But again, because I say it you discredit it. Don't worry, I do the same with your posts.

Never has somebody who's done so little been spoke about like he was this off season.

Frank Howard this off season was more over-hyped than anything I've read on here. But again, because I say it you discredit it. Don't worry, I do the same with your posts.

Never has somebody who's done so little been spoke about like he was this off season.

I read this site all summer and i heard about a couple practices where he was beating Gillon. Which isn't that hard to see now is it? But you compare that to the greatest hype job in SU history? You're tired. Go to bed.

I read this site all summer and i heard about a couple practices where he was beating Gillon. Which isn't that hard to see now is it? But you compare that to the greatest hype job in SU history? You're tired. Go to bed.

On this forum, yes. People said he could be a lottery pick, BEST point guard we've had in a long time, better than MCW. What the hell is that?

On this forum, yes. People said he could be a lottery pick, BEST point guard we've had in a long time, better than MCW. What the hell is that?

I never saw that. I saw lots of discussion about him being a great 4-year player, which is exactly what I think he will turn out to be.

I think there is loads of talent on this team. They're just all playing horribly. There's a difference. Talented teams lose when they don't play well.
Agreed. There's not one guy out there ready to make a play. No leader. No intensity. This is on the coaches right now. Completely unacceptable. But well hear how great Yukon is, just like North Florida which is a joke. These teams are horrible. How can we not press all game? JFC.

Who said he could be a lottery pick? wt f. I saw best passer since...Sherm, but no mention of lottery pick. I saw one or two people say could be all acc NEXT year, but again, lottery pick?

Good summary.

Hate to quote Boeheim but he said that players can't expect to play if they Score 1-3 points in 30+ minutes.
Our point guards went 2 and 3 pats respectively and shot 0 for 12 from the field.

Does not give me any confidence in their play.

Btw, thought that Robert played good in his limited play.

Another observation is if we do not get a good pt guard no a good shooting guard for next year, we will be suffering for TWO YEARS or more.
Do not believe that graduate transfers are worth the time. They need to play at least a year with their teammates before reaching a level of comfortabili6y.

Finally, while I think we picked up 2 good transfers, it is not a guarantee that next year we find 2 better ones or even as good.

I'm honestly at a loss with this team. I don't know what JB can do to make it better.

None of the guys realized they could take a three pointer from the white line and not the blue line.

Gillon refuses to put his arms up on D, making him even shorter than his stature and the easiest guy in the world to pass or shoot over.

Lydon can't make jumpers and can't fake a shot and dribble left to switch things up once in a while.

Battle couldn't get by his guy tonight, which was really surprising to me.

No one can recognize when a post player is in the perfect position or when a big has a mismatch.

White can't stop himself from taking a bad shot when he decides before he receives the pass that he's going to shoot. He also doesn't follow his shot to get easy rebounds when he's short.

Howard can't decide if he's going at the backboard or the rim when he attacks the basket. So he gets stuck in nowhere land and fails. And is not good enough to draw the foul. And isn't smart enough to not attack when the lane is too packed.

JB can't figure out a rotation that can spread the floor sufficiently to open the lane up for drives and kicks.

Roby can't do anything on offense right. He needs to Costanza the next game and just do the opposite of what his instincts are telling him.

I feel like I could do this all night. And I haven't even started on defense...

I never saw that. I saw lots of discussion about him being a great 4-year player, which is exactly what I think he will turn out to be.

There was a LOT of that.

Who said he could be a lottery pick? wt f. I saw best passer since...Sherm, but no mention of lottery pick. I saw one or two people say could be all acc NEXT year, but again, lottery pick?

That says quite a bit about the hype machine.

Agreed. There's not one guy out there ready to make a play. No leader. No intensity. This is on the coaches right now. Completely unacceptable. But well hear how great Yukon is, just like North Florida which is a joke. These teams are horrible. How can we not press all game? JFC.

Yeah, after following SU hoops for 25 years my expectations are set accordingly, but it still blows my mind how passive we tend to be. We sucked all game long, but seemingly didn't do a damn thing different. Pretty much the same 5 all second half, no attempt to change tempo, etc. I don't get it, but then I never have.

I'll give you a like even if you did mess up the quote. It's alright, we all do it from time to time.

Yeah, after following SU hoops for 25 years my expectations are set accordingly, but it still blows my mind how passive we tend to be. We sucked all game long, but seemingly didn't do a damn thing different. Pretty much the same 5 all second half, no attempt to change tempo, etc. I don't get it, but then I never have.
If I see Lydon pass another shot I'm going to scream. I hate everything about what we're doing and 2 weeks ago it was 100 percent the other way

It's called STUBBORN.

If I see Lydon pass another shot I'm going to scream. I hate everything about what we're doing and 2 weeks ago it was 100 percent the other way

JB mentioned this in his presser. Didn't sound happy at all about it. Not exact quote but "We've told him over and over to take the shot, he doesn't."

It's called STUBBORN.

To be fair, JB system has always been about odds and probabilities. That's the zone. Teams get hot, you ride it out, and things regress to the mean. It's worked a whole bunch for a long time. It's just reallllly frustrating sometimes.

What I've always disliked is how passive we get. People can debate our talent, but this team is certainly athletic. So press, run, take advantage of that.

IMO we have grossly over-rated the talent of many of these players.

Lydon and Howard are back ups - or role players - 50% of this board considers them future NBA stars - um, OK - we have good players in White and Coleman and nothing else

To be fair, JB system has always been about odds and probabilities. That's the zone. Teams get hot, you ride it out, and things regress to the mean. It's worked a whole bunch for a long time. It's just reallllly frustrating sometimes.

What I've always disliked is how passive we get. People can debate our talent, but this team is certainly athletic. So press, run, take advantage of that.

Agreed. I get the %'s on defense. I don't get the lack of ANYthing on offense. And we often have great athletes. And, despite what some here think and say, Charles Barkley (that guy who is a HOFer) and Reggie Miller (he did stuff too) have expressed that unless our zone is functioning with an emphasis on trapping or pressing, we aren't utilizing some of the skillsets enough.

On offense though? Nothing.

I think there is loads of talent on this team. They're just all playing horribly. There's a difference. Talented teams lose when they don't play well.

Loads of talent - have you seen Lydon dribble a basket ball? have you seen Howard try to get to the rim? or finish??????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom