Where's the scoring going to come from? | Syracusefan.com

Where's the scoring going to come from?

djdan

Walk On
I think we can all admit that we were somewhat offensively challenged last year even though we rode a suffocating zone to the Final Four. With that said, we had four guys average in double figures, only one of whom returns. Obviously, CJ is back, and after averaging 14.5 ppg last year, not only would I not be shocked, but I almost expect that to bump up to 17-20 a game. However, our second leading returning scorer is Rak at 5.1 ppg. Does that concern anyone else?

I can see Ennis averaging around 10 a game. I think we all expect Grant to put up consistent double figures as well. Who else? I see the potential in Coleman but double figures this year? Not so sure about that. Obviously, we're not going to get consistent point production from Keita. Perhaps Cooney makes a run at averaging double figures but I see him more as a 14 one game and 2 the next game kind of player. Maybe 7 ppg? And as near as I can tell, Silent G is not going to score much.

So where do we make up the offensive production from the absence of Triche, Southerland, and MCW? I guess it's scoring by committee. Kind of affirms Boeheim's assertion of Fair's success being the key. He needs to step up to borderline All-American for us to be an effective offensive team in my opinion. Fortunately, I think that's completely plausible. As is Grant going for 14-15. Perhaps Roberson is the real wild card on this team but isn't he going to scrounge for minutes?

CJ: 16-18ppg
Grant: 14-16ppg
Baye/Rak/Coleman combined: 12-15ppg
Ennis: 10-12 ppg
Cooney: 6-8ppg
Mike G: 4-6ppg

I guess that's my point. If we get 34 ppg combined from Grant and CJ, sure we're fine, but you honestly think Grant is going to average 14-16 a game? I don't see it.

I guess that's my point. If we get 34 ppg combined from Grant and CJ, sure we're fine, but you honestly think Grant is going to average 14-16 a game? I don't see it.
we will score enough points. Fair might average as much as 18 a game. Grant another 13 or 14. Our centers will get some and so will our guards.

CJ: 16-18ppg
Grant: 14-16ppg
Baye/Rak/Coleman combined: 12-15ppg
Ennis: 10-12 ppg
Cooney: 6-8ppg
Mike G: 4-6ppg
I think (or perhaps hope) that we get more then 12-15 out of Baye+Rak+Coleman. We got 13.6 out of the trio last year.

I agree the returning scoring numbers seem like a problem.

However, it is balenced and outweighed by the fact that
1.Grant 2. Dajaun 3.Ennis, 4.Cooney, 5.Roberson could all break out to be around 10 ppg or better. Even when we return 2-3 upperclassmen who we know will put up between 9-15, we usually only have 2-3 guys who could break out preseason which is half of that.
And Rak, Keita, Gbinije will get us atleast another dozen combined.

The bigger question is Will we have a 3rd and 4th guy step up and lead offensively when cj and grant are only playing ok during a tough in game march.

Last edited:
At the risk of being annoying by bumping my own thread, I thought it might be interesting to revisit some predictions about our offense from the preseason. While this certainly seemed offbase in the non-conference portion of our schedule, many of my concerns about our offensive production have certainly come to bear in ACC play. At the risk of stating the obvious, a few things jump out at me:
  • While CJ has improved his scoring from last year, it's been a relatively modest jump from 14.4 ppg to 16.3.
  • While many predicted Grant to average in the middle to upper teens, his 11.8 ppg is about what I thought it would be.
  • If anything, both Ennis and Cooney have actually outperformed what many of us expected from a scoring perspective with Ennis at 12.1 ppg and Cooney at 12.8.
  • The lack of point production from the five position is startling - no Coleman, Christmas at 5.9 ppg, and Keita at 2.0 ppg. A combined 7.9. Wow. Just wow.
  • Our only other bench player in Gbinije gives us all of 3.5 ppg.
  • Absolutely nothing from the other freshmen. Not sure if any of us could have predicted this, especially in regard to Roberson.

If nothing else, I'll be paying close attention to your preseason prognosis this October and am interested in borrowing your crystal ball for this years NCAA tourney.

At this point in time, can we all just write off every forward and center as needing at least 1 year to learn to play defense the SU way, before they can ever expect to see significant minutes/points? Please tell me that McCullough is different, because I can't help think that at the end of next year, his numbers will look startlingly similar to Roberson's. Maybe a small margin higher, but not much. And the reason why? He won't know where he is supposed to be on defense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom