“Most NIL deals are b———-.” | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

“Most NIL deals are b———-.”

No it hasn't.
Not yet. Player movement has a negative impact on a sport. MLB was the first experiment with it. As someone who remembers life before free agency, I can assure you it negatively impacted baseball…which used to be the country’s most popular sport- by a lot.

College basketball has been hurt simply by the ability to go pro early. College football has the year out of HS rule, which kept players in place longer.

NBA the same.

NFL has the most restrictive player movement policies….and it’s the most popular. It’s not a coincidence.

Player movement in college football will erode its overall popularity, and eventually its ratings.

Fans want heroes. Player movement turns todays hero’s into tomorrows villians.

Paying players won’t kill the sport, but the attached movement will certainly erode its popularity. It won’t happen overnight, but it will erode.

Not yet. Player movement has a negative impact on a sport. MLB was the first experiment with it. As someone who remembers life before free agency, I can assure you it negatively impacted baseball…which used to be the country’s most popular sport- by a lot.

College basketball has been hurt simply by the ability to go pro early. College football has the year out of HS rule, which kept players in place longer.

NBA the same.

NFL has the most restrictive player movement policies….and it’s the most popular. It’s not a coincidence.

Player movement in college football will erode its overall popularity, and eventually its ratings.

Paying players won’t kill the sport, but the attached movement will certainly erode its popularity. It won’t happen overnight, but it will erode.
Eh, if I have to assign a percentage to restricted player movement that explains the NFL's popularity, it's a miniscule percentage.

NBA the same.

Based on that theory, NHL should be more popular as their stars stay in one place forever

Last edited:
I love hockey….but it’s hockey. It’s always been a distant 4th among the big 4.
True. I just think baseball popularity is less about player movement and more about newer generations just not really liking the sport.

I do agree that movement could hurt college sports to a degree but I seeing that our most memorable season in any sport was due to a guy who played here 1 year, I don’t know if it matters as much as results matter. If teams win, their fans will be excited.

NFL passed baseball in the late 80s 90s. My generation ditched it for football. Had nothing to do with pace of play. But when Roger Clemens took the mound for the Yankees, the sport jumped the shark for a lot of us.

Give player movement 5-7 years in college football and it will impact the sport.

Do you think college basketball was better or wirse now compared to the era when going pro early was rare?

From day one the critics of NIL were arguing it would end up as a pay for play deal.
Look it up.
Well, you're absolutely right about that! But the rationale wasn't to make millionaires out of college kids.

Some say player movement sucks…..but how does the Cuse fan base feel right now with all these potential portal kids coming in making an immediate impact on the quality of our team?
That's potentially double edged depending on how limited player movement could be. We could potentially still have Lamson, Duce, Jahad, Geer, etc... and not need a complete reload right now

NBA the same.

You’re smart but I think you’re off on this one. Football has risen in popularity because of the “experience” that it brings. It’s almost become American culture for the fall and winter months
- limited number of games vs baseball so the importance of each game increases
- games mostly only on weekends which allows for easier travel and attendance
- tailgating at games
- rise of the TV view experience with NFL Sunday Ticket and almost every college game on TV
- sports betting
- fantasy football is super easy with the internet and apps

US culture has evolved and football has evolved with it. That’s driven its rise in popularity

You’re smart but I think you’re off on this one. Football has risen in popularity because of the “experience” that it brings. It’s almost become American culture for the fall and winter months
- tailgating at games
- rise of the TV view experience with NFL Sunday Ticket and almost every college game on TV
- sports betting

US culture has evolved and football has evolved with it. That’s driven its rise in popularity
Agree. Fantasy + betting is a big part of it too.

Is there any less player movement with football vs. other sports these days? Nobody stays on the same team for their whole career. They all have options to move. Maybe it seems less for football because guys don't last as long in the league vs. other sports.

Baseball and hockey both severely hurt themselves with labor shortages too.

I for one do not believe most of what’s been reported, and I don’t believe for one second that Jesse Edwards NIL deal was what was rumored. My guess is it was much less guaranteed and heavily incentive driven. Given that he is on the DL and WVU is 5-7, the personal or team incentives are going to be really hard to achieve.

I also think that the combined $ received by duece and JiHad totaled less than 200k in guaranteed $.
How does a NIL collective structure an “incentive-based” contract with a player if “pay to play” is not allowed? That would seem to expose them to all kinds of violations. I know , only if enforced. But still, seems risky.

NBA the same.

Christian Laettner and Grant Hill are still making money off an inbounds play 32 (!?!?!?!) years later.

Who hit that shot for Gonzaga against UCLA? OR was it the other way around?

Heroes and villians. Generational players.

NIL, Portal and B1G/SEC cabal are a perfect storm of craptitude that will destroy college sports and turn it into ProSports Lite.

Colleges will be dropping all kinds of non-revenue generating sports. Corporations will assume even greater control. College administrators will spend all their time rolling around in piles of cash. And players will have money thrown at them and then have the rug pulled out when they’re used up. Rivalries. Continuity. Fan allegiances. Player development. Dust in the wind.

Last edited:
I’ll make this simple on this subject.
You are wrong and Jake is right
Hey you should read this post:
- tailgating at games
- sports betting

I stand by my statement that if I have to assign a percentage explaining why the NFL so popular, restricted player movement is a miniscule percentage.

BUT IN ANY EVENT, the post I was responding to made a blanket statement that NIL was killing college football and there's just no real objective support for that, and subjective opinion from some fans that are still rabid enough to post on a college sports fan board doesn't even come close to qualifying as evidence.

There are lots of bad opinions floating around in this thread but my take that restricted player movement doesn't explain the NFL's popularity ain't one of them.

I love hockey….but it’s hockey. It’s always been a distant 4th among the big 4.

I think you’re simplifying the situation. In 1993, NBA revenues were around $925MM, NHL was around $753MM. (There’s a reason why SI ran a cover story that the NHL was HOT, the NBA was NOT). But in 2019, NBA revenues were around $10 Billion, NHL around $6 Billion. The NHL was catching up and in the early 90s was close in popularity to the NBA. Then the 1994 NHL strike happened - any hope of catching the NBA was lost.

Since then the NHL owners have constantly prioritized short term revenue opportunities over long term growth - and they’ve kept falling further and further behind the NBA as a result.

“Player movement” plays a part, but the overarching issue is sports that can’t cooperate and prioritize long term growth grow more slowly than those that do. The Giants agreeing to the idea to negotiate TV rights league wide was a huge turning point for the NFL - it was not in the Giants short term interests but has paid off many times over in the decades since. On the opposite side, the lack of cooperation between conferences and individual schools, with all of them looking to maximize short term opportunities (which is how the MLB has historically been managed) doesn’t bode well for college athletics in the long run.

If he got 600 guaranteed, than those hillbillies paid way over going rate. Again, my guess is 300k guaranteed and another 300k in incentives.
Any idea how the incentives are constructed? Is it via a blatant violation of pay for play, or is it a specious workaround like you don't have to go to Syracuse but you have to live in and make appearances in the 315 area code?

Nil has ruined college sports. They need to figure it out fast.
Abuse of NIL, maybe. NIL as it was intended has been tremendous for college sports. The 28 student athletes we have worked with through the SyraCRUZ NIL Initiative have universally enjoyed and appreciated the enhanced interaction with fans as much as the small payments we offer.

Hey you should read this post:

I stand by my statement that if I have to assign a percentage explaining why the NFL so popular, restricted player movement is a miniscule percentage.

BUT IN ANY EVENT, the post I was responding to made a blanket statement that NIL was killing college football and there's just no real objective support for that, and subjective opinion from some fans that are still rabid enough to post on a college sports fan board doesn't even come close to qualifying as evidence.

There are lots of bad opinions floating around in this thread but my take that restricted player movement doesn't explain the NFL's popularity ain't one of them.

Guys like Joe Burrow, Josh Allen and before them Farve and Rogers don’t play in the prime of their careers in those markets in MLB. Helps that strong ownership and commish make it so any team can really win.

Guys like Joe Burrow, Josh Allen and before them Farve and Rogers don’t play in the prime of their careers in those markets in MLB. Helps that strong ownership and commish make it so any team can really win.
That's a different thing entirely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom