“Most NIL deals are b———-.” | Syracusefan.com

“Most NIL deals are b———-.”

I for one do not believe most of what’s been reported, and I don’t believe for one second that Jesse Edwards NIL deal was what was rumored. My guess is it was much less guaranteed and heavily incentive driven. Given that he is on the DL and WVU is 5-7, the personal or team incentives are going to be really hard to achieve.

I also think that the combined $ received by duece and JiHad totaled less than 200k in guaranteed $.

I for one do not believe most of what’s been reported, and I don’t believe for one second that Jesse Edwards NIL deal was what was rumored. My guess is it was much less guaranteed and heavily incentive driven. Given that he is on the DL and WVU is 5-7, the personal or team incentives are going to be really hard to achieve.

I also think that the combined $ received by duece and JiHad totaled less than 200k in guaranteed $.
What’s your guess on our new QB?

No idea, but I would think 350k guaranteed ballpark…with some incentives (even though such incentives violate the spirit of NIL).
Jake talk to ur old board buddy……

How do they get around performance incentives that would be pay to play? I thought the deals were all disclosed with the institution.

Interesting and agree. I’m sure you heard the same 600k figure for Jesse that I did. Then you hear higher numbers elsewhere. I’d be curious what he actually gets if he thought / told SU it was 600.

Even SUs AD doesn’t know the full amount other schools spend but it’s never been anywhere near what’s rumored. I think some of the top schools inflate things to scare off smaller programs. And then there’s the fact that kids are misled and lied to. Or deals are incentive laden.

No idea, but I would think 350k guaranteed ballpark…with some incentives (even though such incentives violate the spirit of NIL).
Not sure what you mean by spirit.
I thought NIL was to come play for us so we can win. Maybe I’m naive, but I don’t think people are paying these guys because they feel bad that all they get is a scholarship.

Interesting and agree. I’m sure you heard the same 600k figure for Jesse that I did. Then you hear higher numbers elsewhere. I’d be curious what he actually gets if he thought / told SU it was 600.

Even SUs AD doesn’t know the full amount other schools spend but it’s never been anywhere near what’s rumored. I think some of the top schools inflate things to scare off smaller programs. And then there’s the fact that kids are misled and lied to. Or deals are incentive laden.
That 600k was BS. No way he’s getting that much. Closer to half that.

Not sure what you mean by spirit.
I thought NIL was to come play for us so we can win. Maybe I’m naive, but I don’t think people are paying these guys because they feel bad that all they get is a scholarship.
NIL was so that players could get paid by selling T-shirts, promoting a company, etc etc. It was never supposed to be "come play for us and we'll give you a ton of money to do nothing".

The collectives violate the spirit of the idea.

That 600k was BS. No way he’s getting that much. Closer to half that.
Why do you think folks like our old coach say 600k though? This the guarantee point? Has potential to be more but guarantee is way less?

NIL was so that players could get paid by selling T-shirts, promoting a company, etc etc. It was never supposed to be "come play for us and we'll give you a ton of money to do nothing".

The collectives violate the spirit of the idea.
You really believe that?
Let’s be serious, nobody ever thought that’s what was going to happen. Sounds nice, but I can’t believe anyone really thought that’s how it was going to go down

Why do you think folks like our old coach say 600k though? This the guarantee point? Has potential to be more but guarantee is way less?
Who benefits from the high figure rumor? Answer: everyone.

Outgoing coach: “they’re crazy- he’s not worth it we can’t compete with that. He didn’t leave because of me…etc”
Incoming coach: “look what we can pay!”
Agent: “look how much I got him, work with me and I can get you big bucks too”
Player: “yeah, I’m worth it!”

This has been reported since day one that these are basically structured for PR and minimally guaranteed. Like nfl contracts.

The likely recognized amount of NIL is maybe 40%.

You really believe that?
Let’s be serious, nobody ever thought that’s what was going to happen. Sounds nice, but I can’t believe anyone really thought that’s how it was going to go down
Yeah, that was exactly the rationale that was being presented a few years ago. Nobody was saying "We need to legalize big bags of cash from boosters."

How do they get around performance incentives that would be pay to play? I thought the deals were all disclosed with the institution.

One way would be to give a range of how many appearances a player might get - the higher number only magically happens if the team/player perform. As long as it’s in a range in the NIL deal, it’ll be hard to prove it’s “pay for play”.

Honestly, all NIL did was take the old corrupt system and replaced it with a legal - but still just as corrupt - system. Or more corrupt, since at least in the past some discreetness was required - the current approach almost requires bragging about what a corrupt deal you made.

Yeah, that was exactly the rationale that was being presented a few years ago. Nobody was saying "We need to legalize big bags of cash from boosters."
From day one the critics of NIL were arguing it would end up as a pay for play deal.
Look it up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom