2016-17 Coaching Carousel | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

2016-17 Coaching Carousel

That was an incredible job no matter the situation at the time. I'm sorry you can't give the guy one ounce of credit but he did a good job. The watered down Big East was the result of a watered down Syracuse.

I take your word for it on the negative recruiting. I'm not saying he's perfect or the best coach since sliced bread but I can understand why schools are intrigued by his skill set.
Incredible job? He made a laughing stock into a mediocre program.
NJ is a state ripe with HS talent. He recruited into the program and never finished the job.
The rise of Oregon football is way more impressive by Mike Belotti and Chip Kelly than what Schiano did.
Schiano was a used cars salesman who after the BE was gutted made Rutgers decent. It was not a remarkable job as Rutgers was never a national player and their dream season included 1 win over a ranked team and a bowl win over Kansas State in the Texas Bowl.
Big Deal.

Last edited:
NJ is a state ripe with HS talent. He recruited into the program and never finished the job.
The rise of Oregon football is way more impressive by Mike Belotti and Chip Kelly than what Schiano did.
Schiano was a used cars salesman who after the BE was gutted made Rutgers decent. It was not a remarkable job as Rutgers was never a national player and their dream season included 1 win over a ranked team and a bowl win over Kansas State in the Texas Bowl.
Big Deal.
Oregon's defense was horrific this season, statistically worse than SU's. With that in mind, maybe the AD believes he needs to bring a defensive guy as HC? Force the new HC to keep the current offensive scheme and shore-up the D. Strangers decisions have been made.

I wonder if Scott Frost in being considered?

Oregon's defense was horrific this season, statistically worse than SU's. With that in mind, maybe the AD believes he needs to bring a defensive guy as HC? Force the new HC to keep the current offensive scheme and shore-up the D. Strangers decisions have been made.

I wonder if Scott Frost in being considered?
Oregon also didn't recruit a HS QB post Mariota. Syracuse went into Oregon and got Dungey. Oregon was becoming 5th year QB U these last 2 years.
Frost is a good idea as Nebraska job looks like it will be a few years away.

Frost makes a ton of sense at Oregon, he did a nice job at Central Florida this year, but they knew they had a rent a coach on their hands with him, might as well rip the Band-Aid off now.

Big Deal.

I don't like the guy but I have to give Schiano credit.

He did what he said he would do - he kept the NJ talent home and sent a lot of guys to the NFL.

He took a really bad program and made it quite respectable.

Like him or not.

Oregon seems to have interest in B Kelly believe it or not

I'd rather hire R Kelly as a coach.

F8ADB729-97AF-408D-9087-CBDCF38C57A7_zpsfyluuxkb.gif

Fixed that for you.

No need to "fix" something that is accurate.

Like it or not, the guy did a solid job at Rutgers.

I don't like him - I think he tried very hard to injure SU with his public announcement that the Dome surface was dangerous. I thought he tried to embarrass SU with that final Brian Leonard-gets-the-ball-on-every-play drive at Rutgers during under Greg Robinson.

But I'm not blinded by any of that.

So "less crappy" is a groundless description that sounds like an opposing fan eating a bunch of sour grapes - and it's not necessary.

No need to "fix" something that is accurate.

Like it or not, the guy did a solid job at Rutgers.

I don't like him - I think he tried very hard to injure SU with his public announcement that the Dome surface was dangerous. I thought he tried to embarrass SU with that final Brian Leonard-gets-the-ball-on-every-play drive at Rutgers during under Greg Robinson.

But I'm not blinded by any of that.

So "less crappy" is a groundless description that sounds like an opposing fan eating a bunch of sour grapes - and it's not necessary.
Saying he did a solid job is fine and fair. I just don't think you can call it remarkable. He made Rutgers average which is good for them.

Saying he did a solid job is fine and fair. I just don't think you can call it remarkable. He made Rutgers average which is good for them.

I didn't call it a remarkable job - Marrone did a remarkable job.

Schiano was given all the resources in the world to succeed and he raised the program significantly.

Rutgers became more than an "average" program - it became a good to very good program that recruited NJ very well and that sent a lot of players to the next level.

Having said that, I have never felt that Schiano was a particularly good football coach. I don't think he was.

Marrone essentially toyed with him and would have eventually buried him if they had continued to compete against one another.

Schiano was given all the resources in the world to succeed and he raised the program significantly.

Rutgers became more than an "average" program - it became a good to very good program that recruited NJ very well and that sent a lot of players to the next level.

Having said that, I have never felt that Schiano was a particularly good football coach. I don't think he was.

Marrone essentially toyed with him and would have eventually buried him if they had continued to compete against one another.
You didn't call it a remarkable job but the post you responded to from me was a post saying Schiano did a remarkable job.
Schiano did a good job making them mediocre.

Rutgers best years were never more than average, sorry.

You didn't call it a remarkable job but the post you responded to from me was a post saying Schiano did a remarkable job.
Schiano did a good job making them mediocre.

getting to mediocre was a yeoman effort. it was alot harder than what Marrone had to do which was rebuild a program that had success within a 10 year period. Schiano was rebuilding something that never ever was.

you guys are blinded by your Rutgers hate. It's ok, i get it. I'm irrational too but if Schiano wanted the Rutgers job back right now they'd give him the copter back no questions asked. Guy is going to get his pick of big jobs and we'll see if he can do it again with more toys at his disposal. You may be right and he stinks but my suspicion is he is not bad at coaching.

getting to mediocre was a yeoman effort. it was alot harder than what Marrone had to do which was rebuild a program that had success within a 10 year period. Schiano was rebuilding something that never ever was.

you guys are blinded by your Rutgers hate. It's ok, i get it. I'm irrational too but if Schiano wanted the Rutgers job back right now they'd give him the copter back no questions asked. Guy is going to get his pick of big jobs and we'll see if he can do it again with more toys at his disposal. You may be right and he stinks but my suspicion is he is not bad at coaching.
The landscape has changed and Rutgers isn't in the Big East anymore. There are scheduling requirements in the P5 leagues now. B1G is going to 9 game conference schedule with a mandate to play all P5 teams soon with no FCS so he can't schedule cupcakes to build his W-L record anymore.

If he got that job back, he would fail miserably. His entire Rutgers record is built on the weakest scheduling over a 10 year period in CFB history.

Schiano went .500 at Ruckers and lost to:

Villanova
Buffalo
New Hampshire
Tulane
Navy (2x)

Cyepa-5UUAAZHP-.jpg

Oregon's press release on their firing was absolutely brutal. They have since edited it.

Rutgers best years were never more than average, sorry.

I just don't think that's accurate.

I don't like the Program - I can have my opinion about it and about Schiano but I can't have my own facts.

From 2005 to 2011, under Schiano, the Scarlet Knights were better than average.

I admit that in 2010 - with very good talent - Rutgers had a tough year.

But other than that the team was certainly better than average.

From 2005 to 2011 Rutgers went to six bowl games.

From 2005 to 2011 Rutgers had one season of eleven wins, two seasons of nine wins, two seasons of eight wins, and one season of seven wins.

The 2006 season was a great season by any measure.

2005 - 7-5
2006 - 11-2
2007 - 8-5
2008 - 8-5
2009 - 9-4
2010 - 4-8
2011 - 9-4

I think many Syracuse Football fans would be very happy with what Schiano did at Rutgers.

Having said that, I again, do not see him as a particularly good game coach. I think Marrone was far superior and would have continued to excel in Syracuse had he stayed.

I don't like the Program - I can have my opinion about it and about Schiano but I can't have my own facts.

From 2005 to 2011 Rutgers had one season of eleven wins, two seasons of nine wins, two seasons of eight wins, and one season of seven wins.

2005 - 7-5
2006 - 11-2
2007 - 8-5
2008 - 8-5
2009 - 9-4
2010 - 4-8
2011 - 9-4

I think many Syracuse Football fans would be very happy with what Schiano did at Rutgers.

Having said that, I again, do not see him as a particularly good game coach. I think Marrone was far superior and would have continued to excel in Syracuse had he stayed.

Can you tell me who they played?

I ask because there's a segment on the board that doesn't want to schedule for success.

At the end of the day, nobody cares and nobody remembers. Just show me the record.

2005 - 7-5
2006 - 11-2
2007 - 8-5
2008 - 8-5
2009 - 9-4
2010 - 4-8
2011 - 9-4

Dig a little deeper into those wins and you will fully understand how bad they really were and how those records look good at first glance which is all you are doing, they are garbage.

2005 wins were against Villanova, Buffalo, Pitt (6-5), SU (1-10), Uconn, Navy and Cinncinati (4-7)
2006 NC (5-6), Illinois (2-10), Ohio, Howard, S. Fla., Navy, Pitt (6-6), Uconn, Louisville**, SU, K State
2007 Buffalo, Norfolk St, Navy, SU, S Fla, Army, Pitt, Ball State
2008 Morgan State, UConn, Pitt, SU, S Fla, Army, Louisville, NC State
2009 Howard, FIU, UMD, TX Southern, Army, UConn, S Fla, Louisville, UCF

And so on...straight garbage. They played more lower tier FBS teams and FCS teams in 10 years than any other team in CFB has in their entire history. AND took advantage of very down years for SU and Pitt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom