2017 Yankees Thread | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

Grudging admiration from the WaPo.

Cash really has built an interesting roster with more upside but there are definitely some real soft spots and a couple of contracts I'd love to see gone. there are about 6-7 roster spots I'd love to see upgraded, hopefully 4+ of those with kids who can really contribute, this year or next

Cash really has built an interesting roster with more upside but there are definitely some real soft spots and a couple of contracts I'd love to see gone. there are about 6-7 roster spots I'd love to see upgraded, hopefully 4+ of those with kids who can really contribute, this year or next
1. they need Bird to come back and start raking.
-that would make Carter expendable and likely cut as they could spell Bird with either Holliday or Sanchez

2. Torres needs to hit in Scranton so he can come up and play 3rd
- that would make Headley expendable either by trade or more likely in the off season

3. lets shut Tanaka down and figure out What is wrong with him
-Chance Adams is ready, would give him some starts before the pennant race and provide a solid 6th arm

4. somebody let me borrow their gun, as I will just shoot DLsbury and end the charade
-that would make me happy, give Hicks a starting job and free up another roster spot for say Tyler Austin to help in the OF and 1B

1. they need Bird to come back and start raking.
-that would make Carter expendable and likely cut as they could spell Bird with either Holliday or Sanchez

2. Torres needs to hit in Scranton so he can come up and play 3rd
- that would make Headley expendable either by trade or more likely in the off season

3. lets shut Tanaka down and figure out What is wrong with him
-Chance Adams is ready, would give him some starts before the pennant race and provide a solid 6th arm

4. somebody let me borrow their gun, as I will just shoot DLsbury and end the charade
-that would make me happy, give Hicks a starting job and free up another roster spot for say Tyler Austin to help in the OF and 1B

1- Bird coming back and hitting makes a right side core of Sanchez, Bird, Castro (or in the future Torres or Mateo) and Judge. That's top flight young, quality and cost effective talent that could be together for the next 6+ years. If Carter can hit anything he becomes perfect deadline trade bait for a decent prospect or middle reliever.

2- 100% agreed, and Headley is one of the contracts I want gone.

3- Also agree. would mind seeing a 6 man rotation for a few turns either.

4- Not only do I want Els never to have been signed ever, I'm expecting Frazier to be next year's stud rook and cement himself in the OF.

The core for the next few years would include Sanchez, Judge, Bird, Frazier, Castro, Didi and Torres with Mateo, Romine and Austin off the bench. Find a quality young CF and you are really set for a Dynasty run, esp with the $$ you could spend on pitching with that lineup

Bird coming back might spell the end of Carter. I can see them releasing him rather that keep him on the roster. The way Hicks is playing, I hate to see Els come back. I definitely wouldn't rush him.

Judge seems to be playing pretty well.
lacking in slugging percentage.

get him to park early for an hour with Thames...before an hour with Cockrell...to get this slacker back on track.

Bird coming back might spell the end of Carter. I can see them releasing him rather that keep him on the roster. The way Hicks is playing, I hate to see Els come back. I definitely wouldn't rush him.
Agree. Tyler Austin is getting healthy too. He can also play first base and outfield. Someone has to draw the short straw.

lacking in slugging percentage.

get him to park early for an hour with Thames...before an hour with Cockrell...to get this slacker back on track.
Half serious, but would like to see him take that outside pitch they are throwing him to right, especially at Yankee Stadium. Don't want him thinking too much at the plate though, seems like he is doing just fine.

Half serious, but would like to see him take that outside pitch they are throwing him to right, especially at Yankee Stadium. Don't want him thinking too much at the plate though, seems like he is doing just fine.
I think his head and his eye are fine for that pitch...and with the ferocity and velocity he goes to left, it may be where he sees a lot of pitches in the future.

which at Yankee Stadium means...cha-ching!!

the battle with him will be to keep all those big moving parts in synchrony.

I don't think he can have 500 different stances with 500 different swings like DonnieBaseball.

when you are that big, your options are limited.

his incredible bat speed helps, but...

I think his head and his eye are fine for that pitch...and with the ferocity and velocity he goes to left, it may be where he sees a lot of pitches in the future.

which at Yankee Stadium means...cha-ching!!

the battle with him will be to keep all those big moving parts in synchrony.

I don't think he can have 500 different stances with 500 different swings like DonnieBaseball.

when you are that big, your options are limited.

his incredible bat speed helps, but...
I saw a video by Mattingly on how to hit. His advice was keep fouling off pitches until you get the one you want, then drive it. "Simple" as that. I have a vague recollection of Ted Williams, so I can't really say, but the best hitters I can remember are Mattingly, Brett and Boggs. Interestingly, all 4 are lefties.

Last edited:
I saw a video by Mattingly on how to hit. His advice was keep fouling off pitches until you get the one you want, then drive it. "Simple" as that. I have a vague recollection of Ted Williams, so I can't really say, but the best hitters I can remember are Mattingly, Brett and Boggs. Interestingly, all 4 are lefties.
lefties are all over the Career Top Average List.

8 of the Top 10 and 14 of the Top 20

He's already done that a few times. He barely needs to make contact to reach the seats out there, and I think he's already figured that out. The sky is the limit for this kid.

Face predominantly righties I guess. And I forgot Rod Carew.

Also are closer to first base out of the box. Over a long career those extra infield hits could add a few extra points to the average.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom