2017 Yankees Thread | Page 51 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

Tanaka was good tonight. Can't win without scoring some runs. Typical Price, all big and bad when it's mid season. I don't dislike Torreyes, but he missed two tonight I figure Headley gets cleanly. But what the heck, that's baseball. Split's a lot better than 1-3, it's a long season.

2 hours and 59 minutes not bad for a Yankees-Red Sox game.

4 game split was the fair outcome. Pitching dominated these last 3 games. Good thing the matchups weren't Sabathia-Price and Porcello-Tanaka or they would still be playing.
Lefties in the day don't get hit at Fenway. that is why the sox always pitched Hurst or Lee on Sundays if they could arrange that.

Rule question. Rotoworld says that German was sent down after being the 26th man yesterday. Initially the Yankees PR said Mitchell was the 26th guy. Is that a mistake or can they change it after the fact? I know they can send someone else down instead of Mitchell , that's not my question. My question is can German come back up anytime now or does he have to wait ten days? (I don't think he has to wait if he was no 26 yesterday , but does is if a regular call up. Yankees initially said Mitchell was that no 26 guy.)

Rule question. Rotoworld says that German was sent down after being the 26th man yesterday. Initially the Yankees PR said Mitchell was the 26th guy. Is that a mistake or can they change it after the fact? I know they can send someone else down instead of Mitchell , that's not my question. My question is can German come back up anytime now or does he have to wait ten days? (I don't think he has to wait if he was no 26 yesterday , but does is if a regular call up. Yankees initially said Mitchell was that no 26 guy.)

26th man doesn't have to wait an additional 10 days. In fact, German was sent down on July 4, so he was eligible to come back up anyways.

Neither Mitchell or German pitched during the DH, so I don't think it matters who was designated as "26".

The rule just says that you can't call up a guy for game 1, and replace him with another guy for game 2.

Tanaka was good tonight. Can't win without scoring some runs. Typical Price, all big and bad when it's mid season. I don't dislike Torreyes, but he missed two tonight I figure Headley gets cleanly. But what the heck, that's baseball. Split's a lot better than 1-3, it's a long season.

Decent utility bench guy but his fielding this series played a big role

Inside dirt: Aaron Judge has a secret plan to break his slump

Yanks' Bird needs foot surgery; year likely done

Rumor Central: Athletics scout watched Yankees' minor league game?

MLB trade deadline: Likely destinations for all the top stars on the block

ESPN Stats and Information
Aaron Judge went 0-3 against the Twins on Monday night, falling into a 1-21 slump since the All-Star Break. Judge's batting average has dropped from .329 to .311 since the break.

Andrew Marchand ESPN Senior Writer
Rookie Clint Frazier on turning a single into a double: "Every time I hit the ball I'm thinking extra base hit."

Marly Rivera ESPN Writer
I talked to CC Sabathia about Michael Pineda, and his message upon learning he will undergo Tommy John surgery. Pineda has always looked up to Sabathia, and considers him a close friend and mentor. "I told him to keep his head up. He's still young and people come back from Tommy John all the time. His shoulder surgery was way worse than this and he worked so hard to come back with his shoulder stronger than ever, so I know he will be able to come back from this."

Marly Rivera ESPN Writer
Here is what Aaron Judge just told me about the Home Run Derby being blamed for his recent struggles at the plate: "I haven't felt that. I don't think it has anything to do with it at all."

Last edited:
I am starting to think the Yankees should basically stand fast and not do anything major and give up major prospects...even if they do make the playoffs, which after each game seems a little less likely, they don't have the manpower to go far...don't think one pitcher would do it...

I hope they don't put Judge into the HR Derby. Everyone comes out of that with their swing in a funk for the next month or more. Jason Giambi was never the same.

Bump. 1-21. :noidea:

Bump. 1-21. :noidea:

Would be curious to know if he had lost the HR Derby, would he be in a slump? Just wondering if he is putting too much pressure on himself as due to his great first half and win at the derby?

Or is it that pitchers have had time to adjust to him and now he needs to adjust?

Five of last night's eight hits came from two guys who weren't on the roster on opening day. Maybe that's because there's no "book" on them yet, or maybe because they're hitting the ball where it's pitched instead of trying to go yard every time up? Maybe both? I can't be the only guy who knows HR's usually come when you're not trying to hit one. I find hitters today (because of hitting coaches today) frustrating because they wait for the pitch they want and try to jack it, instead of hitting what they get. And that stretch before the ASB (Bos/Balt/Min) where they crushed everything is still in their heads, I fear. Just like after the 19-6 game in the ALCS in 2004, they tried for the next four games to jack everything, and lost them all.

Would be curious to know if he had lost the HR Derby, would he be in a slump? Just wondering if he is putting too much pressure on himself as due to his great first half and win at the derby?

Or is it that pitchers have had time to adjust to him and now he needs to adjust?

Despite my erstwhile lament, I'm a believer in the "law of many inputs" on most things.

Every hitter, no matter how good, has stretches like this. And the four days without meaningful games at the break is enough to disrupt one's timing whether you participate in the home run derby, play in the all-star game or go home for a few days. Much ado about nothing IMO, especially since he is still drawing a few walks, has hit the ball hard on occasion and is playing a great right field, all with a smile on his face.

Every hitter, no matter how good, has stretches like this. And the four days without meaningful games at the break is enough to disrupt one's timing whether you participate in the home run derby, play in the all-star game or go home for a few days. Much ado about nothing IMO, especially since he is still drawing a few walks, has hit the ball hard on occasion and is playing a great right field, all with a smile on his face.

All you mention here deserves consideration. Here's another thought. Although for Judge it's a small sample size (July 9 to today), pitching coaches watch film, and after half a season there's enough available that they can see not so much what to throw to him, but what not to throw to him. And he's not getting the kind of pitch he can drive because pitching staffs are thinking "don't let him beat us." I think he comes out of this for the better, but I'm not expecting a second half like the first. Especially while they can pitch around him while everyone else in the lineup is happy to get themselves out swinging at the pitch they want to see rather than the ones they do see.

Judge also hit a 420' HR that was pulled back by a chowda head.

nothing to see here...

Translation: a loud out.
yeah.

he needs a night off and then a day as DH.

last night he was in because of the lefty, otherwise you got to sit a guy whos just played 34 innings of baseball in Right the previous 2 days.

All you mention here deserves consideration. Here's another thought. Although for Judge it's a small sample size (July 9 to today), pitching coaches watch film, and after half a season there's enough available that they can see not so much what to throw to him, but what not to throw to him. And he's not getting the kind of pitch he can drive because pitching staffs are thinking "don't let him beat us." I think he comes out of this for the better, but I'm not expecting a second half like the first. Especially while they can pitch around him while everyone else in the lineup is happy to get themselves out swinging at the pitch they want to see rather than the ones they do see.
I'm sure opposing teams have been watching film of him pretty intently for a while. He's fouled off a lot of pitches in these last four games that he'd been squaring up and driving before, and he's been a little more impatient at times as well. Just a timing issue, IMO. I believe he will figure things out and end up with about 50 HRs. And Sanchez will get in a groove and end up with 30-35 HRs as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom