2017 Yankees Thread | Page 94 | Syracusefan.com

2017 Yankees Thread

How's the AL East Pennant coming along??

godfatherSUM_1777724c.jpg

It's ok, we got the Staten Island kid, Porcello, pitching for the sux today...

Porcello is a Jersey guy. Went to Seton Hall Prep.

The Sox would start hearing footsteps if the Yanks pick up another game today.
The yanks will hear footsteps when they face Toronto this weekend. They are hot as you found out last weekend.

The yanks will hear footsteps when they face Toronto this weekend. They are hot as you found out last weekend.

Since the Yanks have already locked up the home game in the wild card, Toronto is wearing slippers.

If the season was 400 games long, I'm starting to think Toronto would run away with this.

Will be an interesting rest of the week. Toronto is loving the spoiler role, Astros really want home field.

If the season was 400 games long, I'm starting to think Toronto would run away with this.

Will be an interesting rest of the week. Toronto is loving the spoiler role, Astros really want home field.
the problem for the Astros is that they are not just 1 game back. They lose the tie breaker with the Indians. Boston picked a bad time to get nicked up. But they don't need much

the problem for the Astros is that they are not just 1 game back. They lose the tie breaker with the Indians. Boston picked a bad time to get nicked up. But they don't need much

True, and so if the Astros don't take care of business today, their games against Boston could be meaningless as soon as Friday.

If both the Astros and Indians keep winning, it's not meaningless until Sunday (since Boston-Houston is at 1 pm Saturday, and Cleveland isn't until later).

But of course, mixed into that, is the Yankees really have no room for error either. Games might be meaningless to Boston by then as well.

I feel better about playing the Indians in a 5 game set than the twins in a 1.

Heres to 93 wins and the East...

True, and so if the Astros don't take care of business today, their games against Boston could be meaningless as soon as Friday.

If both the Astros and Indians keep winning, it's not meaningless until Sunday (since Boston-Houston is at 1 pm Saturday, and Cleveland isn't until later).

But of course, mixed into that, is the Yankees really have no room for error either. Games might be meaningless to Boston by then as well.
No. All games on Sunday go off at the same time. 3.p.m. est

No. All games on Sunday go off at the same time. 3.p.m. est

I said Saturday. Astros - Sox are 1. Cleveland is later. So Astros may still think that Saturday game is meaningful.

I feel better about playing the Indians in a 5 game set than the twins in a 1.

Heres to 93 wins and the East...

The last time the NYY lost to the Twins was that the night Bert Blyleven was on the hill. Or was it Frank Viola?

The Yankees did actually lose two out of three in Minnesota back in July.

Yes, they did, but that was a long time ago in baseball terms. Nevertheless, Minnesota is a good team and Girardi and the Yanks all know it. Could Minny beat them in a one game series? Yes, of course, but it would not be because the overconfident Yankees dismissed them.

Yes, they did, but that was a long time ago in baseball terms. Nevertheless, Minnesota is a good team and Girardi and the Yanks all know it. Could Minny beat them in a one game series? Yes, of course, but it would not be because the overconfident Yankees dismissed them.
Of course, I was just neutering the "Twins haven't beaten the Yankees since..." jokes. If the Twins win, it will be because Severino had a rare bad day.

The Yankees did actually lose two out of three in Minnesota back in July.

Since 2002 the Twins have a .275 winning percentage against NYY. That equates to a 45-117 record over the course of a 162 game season. That is rather fugly.

Of course, I was just neutering the "Twins haven't beaten the Yankees since..." jokes. If the Twins win, it will be because Severino had a rare bad day.

I hate the one game play in. I'm sure I'd whistle a different tune if the Yankees were the road team. But I just never liked the concept. As John Sterling put it yesterday, anything can happen in one game. The worst team in baseball wins 40% of the time.

If the Twins beat the Yankees in that game, MLB won't love it either. Anytime they can have the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Dodgers all playing in multi-game series, I'd imagine they are smiling in the MLB offices.

I hate the one game play in. I'm sure I'd whistle a different tune if the Yankees were the road team. But I just never liked the concept. As John Sterling put it yesterday, anything can happen in one game. The worst team in baseball wins 40% of the time.
I like that there is inventive to win one's division.

I like that there is inventive to win one's division.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the old way. Were the playoffs less exciting because a stupid non division winning wild card team won the World Series and their only penalty was going on the road to do it?

Baseball officials love to over think things, especially overreact.

Tie game in an All Star game?? We need to do something! (no you don't, no one will care by Friday and no one will remember by August).

I don't think there was anything wrong with the old way. Were the playoffs less exciting because a stupid non division winning wild card team won the World Series and their only penalty was going on the road to do it?

Tie game in an All Star game?? We need to do something! (no you don't, no one will care by Friday and no one will remember by August).
At the end of the day, there is nothing wrong with having another playoff team.

I agree with Donnie that it makes the Division all the more important but it also gives more teams insensitive to keep playing as 1 more gets in.

Except when said team beats the Yankees at Yankee Stadium, then I think they should've kept it at 4 and just lined them up for a 5 game series...

In this day and age attendance would just fall off a cliff once teams were out. The romance of the sport is long gone.

The problem was that in the last week of the season the Yankees and Red Sox would be within a game or two of each other, but they would already have play off berths locked up so they rested players instead of trying to win the division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom