2018 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Boston Red Sox Thread

I kind of like the idea of Price as a set-up man that can pitch one to two innings in a playoff game ASSUMING he's ok with the role. That also assumes Sale, Porcello, Eovaldi and ERod are the starters. I have no bid for Pomeranz as a starter or reliever. He blows. I think Thornburg is a key guy.
Agree 100% on Pomeranz

Kimbrel with another blown save. He better be thankful the squad bailed him out.

What's wrong with him? Is he nibbling too much? Blowing off his catcher?

Kimbrel with another blown save. He better be thankful the squad bailed him out.

Smoak is a really good hitter. Kimbrel also struck out the side. Meanwhile, the Yankees just blew a 2 run lead in the 10Th.

The Jays have perhaps the worst bullpen in MLB. Even after Kimbrell horked up Smoak's tater, I knew the Sox were going to win it.

I only see him having 2 pitches: heat at 98, and that little slider that runs down & in on lefties. I think the bloom is off the rose because 98 doesn't scare anyone anymore. Most teams have at least a couple of arms bringing that. His seems only effective at the top of the zone.
noidea.gif

Control has been his problem.
He got behind 3-0 and Smoak knew a fastball was coming and he nailed Kimbrel can fix his problems as it appears he is overthrowing.

Control has been his problem.
He got behind 3-0 and Smoak knew a fastball was coming and he nailed Kimbrel can fix his problems as it appears he is overthrowing.

Let's give Smoak a little credit, also. He has a good eye, laying off the curve that made Morales and Hernandez look like Legion ball rookies. And he's a good cripple shooter, knowing that Kimbrel had nothing left but heat.

Let's give Smoak a little credit, also. He has a good eye, laying off the curve that made Morales and Hernandez look like Legion ball rookies. And he's a good cripple shooter, knowing that Kimbrel had nothing left but heat.
I give Smoak a lot of credit. He is a dangerous hitter. Reminds me a bit of those Red Sox hitters who just keep coming at you.

They need to reduce his workload a bit.

Batters have finally stopped laughing at Kimball, now they can just crush him with no distractions.

Explain Chapman at Fenway for us.

I'm not a Chapman guy, but he was something like 19 of 20 coming into that game. It happens to the best, even Mariano.
noidea.gif

They need to reduce his workload a bit.

It's funny because they talked about upping it after the all star break. They decided that he should be working more, going for 4 out saves.

It's funny because they talked about upping it after the all star break. They decided that he should be working more, going for 4 out saves.

I hate the four out save. He, and many other relievers, struggle with it.

I hate the four out save. He, and many other relievers, struggle with it.

Agreed. Especially when he has to sit and watch his teammates score a few more runs. That time between doesn't work for him.

Stanton's home run was cute and all last night, but hitting for the cycle is yet another reason this year's MVP is one Mookie Betts.

Stanton's home run was cute and all last night, but hitting for the cycle is yet another reason this year's MVP is one Mookie Betts.
Mookie’s all around game is better but JD is close to the freaking Triple Crown.
I think Mookie will win MVP but JD is probably 2nd.
Check this out.
DkP9qe3UcAAPj-o

Mookie’s all around game is better but JD is close to the freaking Triple Crown.
I think Mookie will win MVP but JD is probably 2nd.
Check this out.
DkP9qe3UcAAPj-o

What a great pick up for us! What a fantastic year!

What a great pick up for us! What a fantastic year!
The fact that the Sox are actually hitting against the Yankees this year gives me confidence in the playoffs.

I think they will beat them in probably 5.
Houston-Cleveland are both good.

The NL looks down though really only the Cubs IMO can compete with the AL champ this year. Dodgers pitching isn’t as scary, Diamondbacks lineup is meh, Phillies good team not scary yet, Braves same as Philly. Milwaukee’s pitching is brutal.

Love the Sox. While we're basking in this season of greatness any of you guys who haven't seen the recent PBS documentary about "The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived" Ted Williams, you can watch it here...

Ted Williams: "The Greatest Hitter Who Ever Lived" | About the Film | American Masters | PBS

Not much of a Sox fan, although I loved Yaz and Dwight Evans. :)

The greatest hitters I ever saw were Carew, Brett, Boggs and Rose. Never saw TW, but movies like these are fun because they show you some those players. That was one of the best things about Ken Burns' movie, seeing and hearing an analysis of so many of the old timers.

Not much of a Sox fan, although I loved Yaz and Dwight Evans. :)

The greatest hitters I ever saw were Carew, Brett, Boggs and Rose. Never saw TW, but movies like these are fun because they show you some those players. That was one of the best things about Ken Burns' movie, seeing and hearing an analysis of so many of the old timers.
Boggs is overrated.

He was a good hitter, but he made a living off flicking his wrists to bounce a normal routine fly off the wall for a single.

Let’s conservatively say he did that 3x a month or 18x year, then let’s round to 20.

He played in Boston for 11 years and we will ignore the other 9x a year for 7 years as Yankee and devilray.

He hit 3010 out of 9180 for a .328 career line.

You take those 220 hits away and while he’s still at 304, he’d need at least another 2 years in the bigs for 3000, and I don’t think he makes it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom