2018 Boston Red Sox Thread | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Boston Red Sox Thread

Boggs is overrated.

He was a good hitter, but he made a living off flicking his wrists to bounce a normal routine fly off the wall for a single.

Let’s conservatively say he did that 3x a month or 18x year, then let’s round to 20.

He played in Boston for 11 years and we will ignore the other 9x a year for 7 years as Yankee and devilray.

He hit 3010 out of 9180 for a .328 career line.

You take those 220 hits away and while he’s still at 304, he’d need at least another 2 years in the bigs for 3000, and I don’t think he makes it.

I understand the wall had some effect and don't deny it helped Boggs' career numbers. But you play the hand you're dealt, and Boggs did precisely that. Sort of like all those left handed home run hitters in New York hitting into the short porch in right.

edit: Boggs also hit .313 in NY, late in his career without the benefit of the Monster.
noidea.gif

Last edited:
Boggs is overrated.

He was a good hitter, but he made a living off flicking his wrists to bounce a normal routine fly off the wall for a single.

Let’s conservatively say he did that 3x a month or 18x year, then let’s round to 20.

He played in Boston for 11 years and we will ignore the other 9x a year for 7 years as Yankee and devilray.

You take those 220 hits away and while he’s still at 304, he’d need at least another 2 years in the bigs for 3000, and I don’t think he makes it.

I think there is some validity to your claim but the flip side is he was an OBP machine. Led the AL in six out of seven seasons with that stat (career .415) and also led the AL in runs scored seven seasons in a row.

I understand the wall had some effect and don't deny it helped Boggs' career numbers. But you play the hand you're dealt, and Boggs did precisely that. Sort of like all those left handed home run hitters in New York hitting into the short porch in right.

edit: Boggs also hit .313 in NY, late in his career without the benefit of the Monster. View attachment 136899
He was a good to great hitter, but those years he hit over 360??? Come on.

He probably bounce 40 off the wall each year.

As a Yankee, he was basically platooned to get him in winnable situations, which he won, because yes, he had a great eye and was an OBP machine.

Shift wouldn’t work v him either.

no doubt the wall skews some hits, but hitting from the left side is something you dont see many do. its one thing for a righty to just hit pull doubles, but for a left to do it consistently it requires better contact than for a righty.

Not much of a Sox fan, although I loved Yaz and Dwight Evans. :)

The greatest hitters I ever saw were Carew, Brett, Boggs and Rose. Never saw TW, but movies like these are fun because they show you some those players. That was one of the best things about Ken Burns' movie, seeing and hearing an analysis of so many of the old timers.

Semi-modern- I'd throw Tony Gwynn in there. .338 lifetime batting average.

Boggs is overrated.

How many yankees used that ridiculous short porch in right field to pad their stats?

How many yankees used that ridiculous short porch in right field to pad their stats?
And the Pesky Pole is soooo deep, it helps make up for the wall.

And the Pesky Pole is soooo deep, it helps make up for the wall.
Pesky Pole is so rarely in play. Fenway right field is like Yankee Stadium left field.

Atleast Fenway has the Wall for Left field. Yankee stadium right field is like a little league field. Anything in the air and it’s almost always out.

Pesky Pole is so rarely in play. Fenway right field is like Yankee Stadium left field.

Atleast Fenway has the Wall for Left field. Yankee stadium right field is like a little league field. Anything in the air and it’s almost always out.
Please.

Fenway is the smallest all around.

And the right field fence is about 2’ High.

Yankee is 385 in the RF power alley.

Please.

And the right field fence is about 2’ High.

lol Don't. It's 420 to dead center in Fenway with a high wall Right field in yankee stadium is ridiculous. Just the way it is. If Boggs had played in Yankee stadium he would have pulled the ball.

lol Don't. It's 420 to dead center in Fenway with a high wall Right field in yankee stadium is ridiculous. Just the way it is. If Boggs had played in Yankee stadium he would have pulled the ball.

Agree with you on Boggs. One minor correction - I believe it's 390 to straight away center and the 420 mark is in the triangle which is slightly to the right of center.

Agree with you on Boggs. One minor correction - I believe it's 390 to straight away center and the 420 mark is in the triangle which is slightly to the right of center.
True. But I wasn't going to knit pick.

Please.

And the right field fence

Fenway is small all around?
Cmon
fenway_park.gif

It’s not Yankee Stadium bandbox.
Pesky Pole isn’t as big as you think.
It jets out really big. Fenway is good for lefty hitters who can go the other way.
Boggs was a great hitter which Fenway made even better.

Cmon
fenway_park.gif

It jets out really big. Fenway is good for lefty hitters who can go the other way.

You can get a real cheapie if you hit it perfectly down the RF line, but it's really difficult to do and it gets deep really quickly. It was one of the things i noticed when I went to Fenway the first time and stood by the pole. So down the RF line is not really an advantage - if anything between the line and alley it is deeper.

I think the real sweet spot on that park for home runs is the 383 with the low fence before it juts out with a higher fence.

Last edited:
True. But I wasn't going to knit pick.
But you should’ve.

Fenway is a hitters park.

Very small except for the bullseye.

Cmon
fenway_park.gif

Thank you for making my point.

Power alleys in Yankee right are 385 with a 11’ fence.

And Yankee is 408 to Center, rounded off nicely.

Stop the ballpark comparison, I like Fenway, it’s a nice small playing, small crowd...field.

Stop the ballpark comparison, I like Fenway, it’s a nice small playing, small crowd...field.
Of course Fenway is a hitters ball park. The ball flies out of that new field in the Bronx. I guess you are the one person that doesn't know that.

Of course Fenway is a hitters ball park. The ball flies out of that new field in the Bronx. I guess you are the one person that doesn't know that.
They fly out of every ballpark, dad.

If you

Fenway is not small for hitters.
It isn’t a home run bandbox. It is a hitters park because the wall makes outs into doubles/singles and the center/right field is so large you need good outfielders with range and gives up hits.

It’s not a home run park like Yankee Stadium or Camden Yards are. Those are stadiums the ball jumps out of. Yankee stadium short porch is a bandbox. All home teams tailor their teams to their home ballpark. It’s not stupid but the Yankees get a lot of cheap home runs and the Red Sox get a lot of cheap wall ball doubles.

They fly out of every ballpark, dad.
Yankee Stadium is veritable wind tunnel that is rocketing balls over the walls for home runs.
When it opened in 2009 they showed how it wasn’t built the same direction as the old stadium and that has allowed a jet stream to help on warm days push them out.
It’s fine as the stadium should be an advantage for the home team but Yankee Stadium is a bandbox and its one of the easiest to hit a home run at.

Watching the Red Sox beat Buck Showalter like a rented mule is very enjoyable.

The Yankees went 6-1 this week and didn’t gain a damn thing in the standings. That has be frustrating.

Seattle just swept Houston don’t look now but Oakland is only 2 behind Houston in the loss column. Houston-New York in the wild card game with Verlander could be an interesting watch.

10 game lead with 42 games left.

Magic number is 33. It is amazing how the Red Sox season has made the Yankees season which is damn good look mediocre and piss off their fanbase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom