2018 Masters | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Masters

it isnt the odds, its the take thats the killer. gambling works on a very small margin, vegas gets it so they dont kill them since they know its the other stuff that brings in the money. the states are only looking at the money. Right now some states have the tax rate higher than the actually revenue instead of just taxing the profits.. Listen to the vegas chatter on this, its pretty crazy. MLB and others want want a % of the bets made thats actually higher than the returns on the bets. the only way to do that is to lower the payouts but a lot..

it isnt the odds, its the take thats the killer. gambling works on a very small margin, vegas gets it so they dont kill them since they know its the other stuff that brings in the money. the states are only looking at the money. Right now some states have the tax rate higher than the actually revenue instead of just taxing the profits.. Listen to the vegas chatter on this, its pretty crazy. MLB and others want want a % of the bets made thats actually higher than the returns on the bets. the only way to do that is to lower the payouts but a lot..

That won't work. Bettors will just go back to a bookie if they want to place a bet. Capital goes where it's treated best. That said, I don't think anything is written in stone here. Will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

That's nobody's business but his but yeah that's tough.

I kinda think that it's more than 'nobody's business'. If only in the sense that the false feel-good story ('Captain America!') that CBS painted in their coverage was incomplete and misleading. I think that toady Nantz should have at least mentioned that his parents were watching some three miles away, but were not welcome at Augusta by Reed and his wife.

I was rooting for the guy. Had I known this story, I probably wouldn't have been rooting for him. CBS knew the story, but chose not to even refer to it.

Last edited:
I kinda think that it's more than 'nobody's business'. If only in the sense that the false feel-good story ('CaptainAmerica!') that CBS painted in their coverage was incomplete. I think that toady Nantz should have at least mentioned that his parents were watching some three miles away, but were not welcome at Augusta by Reed and his wife.

I was rooting for the guy. Had I known this story, I probably wouldn't have been rooting for him. CBS knew the story, but chose not to even refer to it.

Now that he is really in the spotlight, he has to know these questions about his past will come up even more, even if CBS avoided it. Be interesting to see how handles it.

Now that he is really in the spotlight, he has to know these questions about his past will come up even more, even if CBS avoided it. Be interesting to see how handles it.
I remember Sean O'Hair being estranged from his father (not sure if that is still the case) and it was talked about quite a bit during telecasts as he rose to prominence on tour a few years back.

I remember Sean O'Hair being estranged from his father (not sure if that is still the case) and it was talked about quite a bit during telecasts as he rose to prominence on tour a few years back.

That's a good point. Sad to see that happen to families. It's happened in mine between my mom and her brother. They used to be as close as a brother and sister could be. Then he got married. Now, she has no problem with him, but his wife has gotten his head all screwed up about her.

I kinda think that it's more than 'nobody's business'. If only in the sense that the false feel-good story ('Captain America!') that CBS painted in their coverage was incomplete and misleading. I think that toady Nantz should have at least mentioned that his parents were watching some three miles away, but were not welcome at Augusta by Reed and his wife.

I wouldn’t doubt Augusta didn’t let cbs say anything negative about any golfer. They control and dictate everything and require a certain decorum.

That's a good point. Sad to see that happen to families. It's happened in mine between my mom and her brother. They used to be as close as a brother and sister could be. Then he got married. Now, she has no problem with him, but his wife has gotten his head all screwed up about her.
Unfortunately, this stuff is all too common. Sometimes it happens for legitimate reasons, and sometimes it's inexplicable.

I wouldn’t doubt Augusta didn’t let cbs say anything negative about any golfer. They control and dictate everything and require a certain decorum.
Where Augusta National and the Masters telecast is concerned, there's often a fine line between decorum and censorship.

And quite frankly, I'm glad.

I'm trying to watch Masters golf, not Days of Our Lives.

CBS treads very carefully with its Masters coverage. They might have felt they were stepping out of line if they went in that direction.

I get a little uncomfortable relying on the media to tell me who the guys are with the white hats and the black hats.

CBS treads very carefully with its Masters coverage. They might have felt they were stepping out of line if they went in that direction.

I get a little uncomfortable relying on the media to tell me who the guys are with the white hats and the black hats.

I agree. But they didn't tell the story which, regardless of how one views it, provides insight into the golfer. They don't hesitate to puff these guys up, most of whom were privileged enough to be able to afford to spend their youth playing golf. This is a compelling story, and CBS chose not to cover it.

Have u guys ever watched golf before??

Do you know anything about the Masters??

That story was never going to see the light of day on that telecast.

And it won’t next year or any year after as well.

Reed is a Masters Champion...and during any Masters telecast he will be treated that way.

Save the gossip shlit for Thursday morning of the US Open on ESPN.

If Reed and his parents make peace, and Reed wins next year and his Dad gives him a hug off 18...Nantz will just say ‘and a hug from Dad for the 2x Masters Champion’, and be done with it.

‘Go snoop into his life on your own time’ will be how CBS plays it.

And it’s the right call.

Yes and yes. I watch the Masters every year, and watch a lot of golf. There's an awful lot of talk about family, mostly in a reverential way, but not always. Tiger's dad was lionized on TV when, in fact, it was a closely-held secret in the golf world that he was a dirtbag. PGA coverage is among the most sanitized in the sporting world.

And I know that the Masters keeps a tight lid on anything veering towards criticism. Which is why the insipid Jim Nantz is the perfect cheerleader for the solons of Augusta.

But it was the wrong call. No, they shouldn't have harped on it, but it's a huge human interest story that they chose to ignore so as not to ruffle the feathers of all those southern gentlemen and their precious formerly lily-white tournament.

I agree. But they didn't tell the story which, regardless of how one views it, provides insight into the golfer. They don't hesitate to puff these guys up, most of whom were privileged enough to be able to afford to spend their youth playing golf. This is a compelling story, and CBS chose not to cover it.

Oh I agree with you but I think the heavy hand of the Masters' folks had something to do with that.

Yes and yes. I watch the Masters every year, and watch a lot of golf. There's an awful lot of talk about family, mostly in a reverential way, but not always. Tiger's dad was lionized on TV when, in fact, it was a closely-held secret in the golf world that he was a dirtbag. PGA coverage is among the most sanitized in the sporting world.

And I know that the Masters keeps a tight lid on anything veering towards criticism. Which is why the insipid Jim Nantz is the perfect cheerleader for the solons of Augusta.

But it was the wrong call. No, they shouldn't have harped on it, but it's a huge human interest story that they chose to ignore so as not to ruffle the feathers of all those southern gentlemen and their precious formerly lily-white tournament.

Ya gotta take the good with the bad when it comes to the Masters. On the good side you get 98% action and 2% commercials. I can live with plenty of censorship if they keep delivering that ratio. ESPN would prefer to show Tiger warming up on the range rather than showing one of these young lions tearing up the course.

Ya gotta take the good with the bad when it comes to the Masters. On the good side you get 98% action and 2% commercials. I can live with plenty of censorship if they keep delivering that ratio. ESPN would prefer to show Tiger warming up on the range rather than showing one of these young lions tearing up the course.
The Masters TV coverage has always focused on a select few players on the weekend, and by Sunday you rarely see anyone not named Tiger who is out of realistic contention, no matter who they are or where they began the day. Henrik Stenson finished tied for fifth and I don't remember seeing him hit more than a handful of shots, and I thought Rory had been swallowed by a black hole when he made the turn.

The Masters TV coverage has always focused on a select few players on the weekend, and by Sunday you rarely see anyone not named Tiger who is out of realistic contention, no matter who they are or where they began the day. Henrik Stenson finished tied for fifth and I don't remember seeing him hit more than a handful of shots, and I thought Rory had been swallowed by a black hole when he made the turn.

I guess my larger point was more about the commercials. You're right that they all do that approach of focusing on a handful of players on the weekend. I just find ESPN to be overly focused on Tiger. That focus is not even remotely commensurate with Tiger's production.

I guess my larger point was more about the commercials. You're right that they all do that approach of focusing on a handful of players on the weekend. I just find ESPN to be overly focused on Tiger. That focus is not even remotely commensurate with Tiger's production.

If you watched the streaming, as I did, before the national coverage came on, you know that Tiger's group was 'featured' all four days. There were only two morning and two afternoon featured groups in all.

Every network covering tournament golf goes overboard on the Tiger coverage, even more so now that he is making more than an abbreviated comeback and can actually compete again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom