2018 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training Thread | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

2018 Yankees Off Season / Spring Training Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This trade reminds of me when Kevin McHale traded Kevin Garnett to the Celtics for a pu-pu platter of junk and Al Jefferson.
Everyone thought McHale was doing the Celtics a solid and took less than he could have gotten elsewhere.
Jeter should be the most popular Yankee.
He bought the Marlins with little of his own money. Fired a lot of long time employees. Dumps the NL MVP to his old team for peanuts.

Dump is the right word. It was a salary dump. I'm sure Jeter's group would never have been able to line up financing to purchase the Marlins unless they committed to dumping Stanton's salary.

The Marlins dumping talent is hardly novel. Anyway, there will be too many outfielders. Whither Hicks, Gardy, Ellsbury? And is this the end for Holliday? Any news on Todd Frazier?
Holliday and Frazier are FA's.

I'm gonna start spitballing now...

Need a veteran leader in the clubhouse, that's Gardy and Headley.

A year of Clint as the 4th, can't hurt. I can see him playing 120 games with 450 ABs.

Hicks will likely be moved for a SP if CC doesn't re-up.

With Torres missing so much time, I'd look for them to add a 2b-3b to spell Headley and help with Torreyes

You have a player with a crazy backloaded contract that you can’t afford (or at least can’t afford to put much around him), in a city where no one goes to baseball games. He has a full no trade clause and gives you only 4 teams to talk to.

With all that leverage, how did Jeter not get more in return?

All’s well that ends well.

Consider: back a few years ago, everyone thought Dave Cash was a vacuum cleaner at second base because his fielding % was like .995. But it later came to light he was good on balls hit right at him, but his range was practically non-existent. Even batting .290, he gave up more hits than he got. I'm not saying that's AJ, but it's something that doesn't show up in statistics, and anyway is just something to watch for.

Showing your age. Dave Cash "a few years ago" lol that was about 40 years ago.

You have a player with a crazy backloaded contract that you can’t afford (or at least can’t afford to put much around him), in a city where no one goes to baseball games. He has a full no trade clause and gives you only 4 teams to talk to.

With all that leverage, how did Jeter not get more in return?

All’s well that ends well.

Likely because with Stanton gone, they're still going to net out better. Just a guess.

Stanton was owed $285 mil over the next ten years by the Marlins. Classic contract structure by the infamous Jeffrey Loria in that it was heavily back loaded as Loria had every intention of trading Stanton before the big payments were to kick in.

Consider: back a few years ago, everyone thought Dave Cash was a vacuum cleaner at second base because his fielding % was like .995. But it later came to light he was good on balls hit right at him, but his range was practically non-existent. Even batting .290, he gave up more hits than he got. I'm not saying that's AJ, but it's something that doesn't show up in statistics, and anyway is just something to watch for.
There were no advanced fielding metrics when Dave Cash played. Not sure why you would chose a second baseman to compare to an outfielder anyway. At any rate, Judge actually is a very good outfielder as measured by most of the advanced metrics out there currently.

Stanton was owed $285 mil over the next ten years by the Marlins. Classic contract structure by the infamous Jeffrey Loria in that it was heavily back loaded as Loria had every intention of trading Stanton before the big payments were to kick in.

With full no trade.

Jeter knew that s h!tburger was waiting for him.

Yeah, people can say his going to the Yankees looks bad, but those complaining that he’s leaving Miami haven’t a clue. It was always the plan. Loria boxed himself in, then got out.

There were no advanced fielding metrics when Dave Cash played. Not sure why you would chose a second baseman to compare to an outfielder anyway. At any rate, Judge actually is a very good outfielder as measured by most of the advanced metrics out there currently.

I didn't actually compare Cash to Judge, I just brought in the dimension of a fielder's range and how people can overlook that for someone's batting abilities. For any fielder's "effective range" can be quite subjective, and you can't statistically quantify how good a jump a defender gets, nor whether he takes a good line to the ball, positioning, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like Judge and what he brings, including hustle, but I think the jury is still out on some of those other things I mentioned. Also in Yankee Stadium he plays in a relatively small field, which doesn't help him any on the road. For no matter how many times dopey announcers claim the DP is a pitcher's best friend, it's really smart, fast outfielders with good arms. I have no doubt he can become one, and it seems he wants to be one. I just don't know if he's there yet, and will be interested to see how he develops that way. Just talking baseball. :)

The League needs to step in and investigate the Marlins and Jeter.
Jeter is on pace to pass A-Rod as more unlikable outside of the Yankee fanbase MLB player.

I don’t blame the Yankees at all they have been pretty fiscally responsible since the Ellsbury deal.
They were smart and used the money on Stanton over Harper.

MLB isn’t going to do anything.
Jeter has ruined any chance for the Marlin fanbase to like him though.
It’s a joke the Marlins can’t afford Stanton. The TV money they get from MLB and their own RSN is over 50 million per year.
The ownership is being cheap.

Ozuna and Yelich will be gone next.

I didn't actually compare Cash to Judge, I just brought in the dimension of a fielder's range and how people can overlook that for someone's batting abilities. For any fielder's "effective range" can be quite subjective, and you can't statistically quantify how good a jump a defender gets, nor whether he takes a good line to the ball, positioning, etc. Don't get me wrong, I like Judge and what he brings, including hustle, but I think the jury is still out on some of those other things I mentioned. Also in Yankee Stadium he plays in a relatively small field, which doesn't help him any on the road. For no matter how many times dopey announcers claim the DP is a pitcher's best friend, it's really smart, fast outfielders with good arms. I have no doubt he can become one, and it seems he wants to be one. I just don't know if he's there yet, and will be interested to see how he develops that way. Just talking baseball. :)
Didn't mean to be snippy. I just think Judge passes the eye test as a good fielder and is supported by the metrics (he also was the runner up for the AL Gold Glove in RF in 2017). I figured you picked out Dave Cash because he was a Utica, NY native.

Dave Cash. Born in Utica NY.

Dave Cash Baseball Stats by Baseball Almanac

Need to find a way to dump Ellsbury. Gardner/Hicks/Stanton/Judge/Frazier is a ridiculous outfield.

My new hot take is that they're gearing up for Headley's deal to expire and then they take on Machado.

Jeter is on pace to pass A-Rod as more unlikable outside of the Yankee fanbase MLB player.

I don’t blame the Yankees at all they have been pretty fiscally responsible since the Ellsbury deal.

It’s a joke the Marlins can’t afford Stanton. The TV money they get from MLB and their own RSN is over 50 million per year.

Im a Yankee hater, but always really liked Jeter, this deal looks really bad, really bad.

I think you’re right on Stanton over Harper. Would have loved to see Harpers left handed bat in yankee stadium. Plus he hits for average. Will probably get to see him patrolling the yankee stadium outfield as a red sock.

I think you’re right on Stanton over Harper. Would have loved to see Harpers left handed bat in yankee stadium. Plus he hits for average. Will probably get to see him patrolling the yankee stadium outfield as a red sock.

While I understand you can't have 'em all, I would have liked to see Harper in pinstripes. I like his passion and flare for the dramatic. And anyone willing to go toe-to-toe with Jonathan Papelbonehead can't be all bad. :)

Last edited:
Fenway is undergoing some renovations for their lack of power.
DQop-6fWsAEE_X9

Fenway is undergoing some renovations for their lack of power.
DQop-6fWsAEE_X9
My favorite tweet, (don’t know how you guys imbed these) was...in their last 162 games played, Stanton, Judge and Sanchez have hit 160 homeruns. The sux hit 168 last year.

My favorite tweet, (don’t know how you guys imbed these) was...in their last 162 games played, Stanton, Judge and Sanchez have hit 160 homeruns. The sux hit 168 last year.

while striking out 500+ times.

Go to the tweet, click the little down arrow in the upper right and click Copy link to Tweet
upload_2017-12-9_20-43-4.png

Then, go to this board and paste where you would normally type. When you click Reply to make your post, the tweet will appear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom