2019-20 Baseball offseason | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

2019-20 Baseball offseason

Have to say, not going to be much fun watching my Sox next year. I loved watching Mookie play. He is a beast.

Mookie was and is phenomenal but they have plenty of offensive talent. It's always about the pitching which looks so-so but with pitching u never know.

So who's getting in line to pay an injury plagued pitcher a boatload of $$? The Sox were never going to get much for Price given his injury history and his contract.
Or they could have traded Jackie Bradley Jr. 11 million dollars, and eaten half of Nathan Eovaldi 17 million dollars and they get below the Luxury tax line.

The return for Mookie is a joke. If you are only going to get a POS character player in Verdugo then you get them to take the entire contract of Price.
Eating 45 million is insane when they got very little in return.
They traded one year of a top 5 player in baseball and had to eat a lot of Price money. If you are going to give him away they take the contract.

This deal was pathetic and the ownership sucks. Pay JBJ 11 million dollars to bat .210 next year. They could have eaten some of JD Martinez deal and traded him.

But let’s dump the best player on the team to get below the luxury tax line.
Defend that just to argue with me.

Can’t wait for the Boston Globe article on this guy.

Oh wait he doesn’t play in Foxboro.

Or they could have traded Jackie Bradley Jr. 11 million dollars, and eaten half of Nathan Eovaldi 17 million dollars and they get below the Luxury tax line.

The return for Mookie is a joke. If you are only going to get a POS character player in Verdugo then you get them to take the entire contract of Price.
They traded one year of a top 5 player in baseball and had to eat a lot of Price money. If you are going to give him away they take the contract.

This deal was pathetic and the ownership sucks. Pay JBJ 11 million dollars to bat .210 next year. They could have eaten some of JD Martinez deal and traded him.

So you would have paid Betts $400 mil over 10-12 years?

John Henry cares about Liverpool more than the Red Sox.
Mookie is the best player the Red Sox have developed since Yaz or Dwight Evans.

Henry and his trophy wife are terrible.
Plus the other owner made a lot of money off Bill Cosby and Roseanne.
They hire monsters as clubhouse attendants.
The ownership needs to go.
I hear what you are saying about Henry. The Tom Werner shot is unfair and I have met him on 3 seperate occasions and he was very nice and took a lot of time with the fans. He is a producer and what Rosanne says on twitter or what Cosby does are on them and not on him. I don't love everything about the ownership group but this is the best group we have had in my lifetime.

So you would have paid Betts $400 mil over 10-12 years?
That is called negotiating. You know that. You let him play it out. Then when he goes to market you pay him what he can get.
Nobody is giving Mookie that deal. He wants to pay paid market money to avoid FA.
He wants to set the bar.
They offered 10 years 300 million that isn’t market value. If they took the 12-420 and said 10 years 350 million and he says no then you know you tried.

Sox want players leave money on the table that is stupid when they are a big market team.

This ownership is all about PR and hoping pink hats don’t care about the team and just come to Fenway and sing Sweet Caroline.

It’s a joke. Can’t wait for the Bob Hohler hit piece on Mookie anyway.

Let’s pay Chris Sale 30 million but not pay the freaking best player developed by the team since Yaz or Evans.

You have the chance here to be spectacularly wrong. Both Verdugo and Graterol have the opportunity to be very good ML players. One guy made the LA Dodger roster as a 23 YO and the other dude throws 100 mph and pitched in the playoffs at 21 years of age. Major upside potential here. What are the odds Price can pitch more than 175 innings? Certainly less than 50/50. Betts is fabulous but no way should the Sox break the bank and pay him Trout or Harper money even tho he's much better than Harper. Plenty of wealthy owners in MLB - why should Boston be the ones that should pay more luxury tax than anybody else? I sure as hell wouldn't do that if I had his coin.

That is called negotiating. You know that. You let him play it out. Then when he goes to market you pay him what he can get.
Nobody is giving Mookie that deal. He wants to pay paid market money to avoid FA.
He wants to set the bar.
They offered 10 years 300 million that isn’t market value. If they took the 12-420 and said 10 years 350 million and he says no then you know you tried.

Sox want players leave money on the table that is stupid when they are a big market team.

This ownership is all about PR and hoping pink hats don’t care about the team and just come to Fenway and sing Sweet Caroline.

It’s a joke. Can’t wait for the Bob Hohler hit piece on Mookie anyway.

Let’s pay Chris Sale 30 million but not pay the freaking best player developed by the team since Yaz or Evans.

Why do u keep mentioning Evans? He's nowhere near a Rice, Lynn or Boggs who were all developed by the Sox since Evans came up?

Why do u keep mentioning Evans? He's nowhere near a Rice, Lynn or Boggs who were all developed by the Sox since Evans came up?
I was off on the year of Evans debut I thought it was 74 it was 72.
I forgot Boggs.
Everything else I said I stand by.
This ownership is a joke. Red Sox ownership panders, cares about PR.

They paid Chris Sale a pitcher a stupid contract after seeing what happened to Price. Red Sox fans would prefer Mookie long term over Sale. If they don’t have the Sals contract they could pay Mookie his market rate.

Yeah I would agree the Sale contract was a dumb move. I felt that way at the time, too. Four titles in 15 years ain't shabby. Not a big fan of the owners as people. The capitulation on the Yawkey Way name change was pathetic. But in term of winning and trying to win I give them very high marks.

Mookie made it very clear that he was going to the top dollar bidder even if it were a few bucks higher. Paying a dude $400 mil type money over 10+ years is stoopid. Those mega deals rarely work out. Ask NYY fans about the albatross deals they gave ARod (the re-up) and Ellsbury.

Have to say, not going to be much fun watching my Sox next year. I loved watching Mookie play. He is a beast.
As a Yankee fan a Mookie at bat was a stress moment 4 or 5 times a game. Hate to see that go. Makes watching the games so much more interesting.

Sox are going to try and get value for Mookie or tie his contract to a bad contract they have.

Turned out to be door #2.

Hopefully in 2 years the Mets will be throwing around Cohens billions.

This offseason has proven the Wilpons are as cheap as we thought they were. The single reason the Mets didn’t make the playoffs last year was their bullpen was the terrible. If the bullpen had performed just at the MLB average the Mets would have probably won the division and the Nats wouldn’t have even made the playoffs.Yet the Mets in their infinite wisdom will run back the exact same bull pen? W

I will say as a Mets fan I am happy they didn’t reup Wheeler for that price tag. The next big game he pitches well in will be his first. I hope Matz makes the leap next season to #3. My fear is that Stroman is going to fall off a cliff next season. Wacha and Porcello are good buy low bets for number 5s.

Still need bullpen help... I think they either need a 3b upgrade over Frazier or to move McNeil over there and get a good 2b. Rendon would have been an amazing signing for the Mets.

From a baseball perspective the next 5 years can’t happen fast enough.

Cohen just backed out of buying the Mets. The Wilpons at first wanted to stay in control for the next 5 years, and then they just tried to keep on for longer than that. "I'm outta here", said the rich guy.

John Henry cares about Liverpool more than the Red Sox.
Mookie is the best player the Red Sox have developed since Yaz or Dwight Evans.

Henry and his trophy wife are terrible.
Plus the other owner made a lot of money off Bill Cosby and Roseanne.
They hire monsters as clubhouse attendants.
The ownership needs to go.

Liverpool is a global brand. The Red Sox are not.
They have 580 million fans around the world, second only to Manchester United.

I'm not the biggest baseball fan anymore, but I think you're giving too little credit to Jim Rice and Fred Lynn with this statement. Dewey Evans was a very good player, but Rice and Lynn were great.

Liverpool is a global brand. The Red Sox are not.
They have 580 million fans around the world, second only to Manchester United.
When he pays Mo Salah this summer but wouldn’t pay Mookie Betts he shows Red Sox fans what he is.

The Red Sox are more valuable sports property than Liverpool.

This is coming off Liverpool winning the UEFA CL. They are worth 2.18 billion dollars which is 45th in the world.

The Red Sox are worth 3.2 billion which is 12th in the world.

NESN being owned by the team and 81 home games make them more valuable.

Turned out to be door #2.

They may have gotten value, too. Time will tell. They were never going to get value commensurate with Mookie's talent given the $$$ involved.

Cohen just backed out of buying the Mets. The Wilpons at first wanted to stay in control for the next 5 years, and then they just tried to keep on for longer than that. "I'm outta here", said the rich guy.

Second time that has happened. Happened with David Einhorn as well.

I'm not the biggest baseball fan anymore, but I think you're giving too little credit to Jim Rice and Fred Lynn with this statement. Dewey Evans was a very good player, but Rice and Lynn were great.

That's cuz u watched them play. He didn't.

They may have gotten value, too. Time will tell. They were never going to get value commensurate with Mookie's talent given the $$$ involved.

I would have liked to get more than 1 other prospect, especially since they threw in a playoff-tested starting pitcher just to dump payroll.

I would have liked to get more than 1 other prospect, especially since they threw in a playoff-tested starting pitcher just to dump payroll.

Price is def talented but his inning totals over the last three years - 74, 176 and 107. Lot of mileage on that left elbow.

I'm not disagreeing with you but I think Fred Lynn gets discredited for only being in Boston for like 6 or 7 years. Evans and Rice are lifers outside of a single season in Baltimore at the end of Evans. I'm going off of memory but I feel like Evans was solid up until his late 30's like 37 season. This is hard for me. I love Evans, Rice and Lynn even though Lynn is before my time. Born in 79. My parents lived in Boston in 75 though and my dad talked about Lynn all the time when I was a kid.