2020-2021 NY Knicks Season Thread | Page 34 | Syracusefan.com

2020-2021 NY Knicks Season Thread

Lots of time before Game 2 to settle down and regroup. Good experience for a young team.
Knicks have been resilient all season, so won't count them out after one disappointing loss.
Weren't even supposed to be here, and was great to see playoff atmosphere in MSG again.

Trae is a star player, and I hope he never comes to the Knicks. Can't stand him.

He was poor for sure. He made toughs shots all year but when they don’t go down, it clearly looks like forces. He will be back game 2 I am confident. Still made that huge 3 late. Cannot just force him with iso though.

And young played great but he’s a star player. Not some bum who went off.
One way or another Knicks will learn whether RJ and Randle are players to build around like Young or complementary pieces.

Lots of time before Game 2 to settle down and regroup. Good experience for a young team.
Knicks have been resilient all season, so won't count them out after one disappointing loss.
Weren't even supposed to be here, and was great to see playoff atmosphere in MSG again.

Trae is a star player, and I hope he never comes to the Knicks. Can't stand him.
Not sure I understand the dislike for young... besides the haircut and “butterface”? He plays for Knicks and they are title contenders. Randle pulls that same preening, sneering crap all the time.

Not a fan of the sneering/preening either, but Trae's tongue thing to the crowd that followed really put me off.
I know. Please forgive me -old Knicks fan that forever wants to turn the clock back to 1970. :)
The Knicks have finally got a pretty classy (for these days) group of hard working players, and hope that's the type of player they continue to seek to round out the team to chase a title.

Not sure I understand the dislike for young... besides the haircut and “butterface”? He plays for Knicks and they are title contenders. Randle pulls that same preening, sneering crap all the time.
Randle looks like he could kick the snot out of every fan in the stands at the same time.

Young looks like half the crowd could drop him.

He was poor for sure. He made toughs shots all year but when they don’t go down, it clearly looks like forces. He will be back game 2 I am confident. Still made that huge 3 late. Cannot just force him with iso though.

And young played great but he’s a star player. Not some bum who went off.
I hope that Coach Schmidt shows our OGs tape of the “screen” that Gibson laid on the Hawks defender on Randle’s late three. Textbook run blocking for a pulling guard.

Not a fan of the sneering/preening either, but Trae's tongue thing to the crowd that followed really put me off.
I know. Please forgive me -old Knicks fan that forever wants to turn the clock back to 1970. :)
The Knicks have finally got a pretty classy (for these days) group of hard working players, and hope that's the type of player they continue to seek to round out the team to chase a title.
I mean he said after the game in his interview with tnt guys that people were chirping at him and swearing. If that happens and you hit a game winner... sorry I may do the same. I’ve watched a lot of Trae Young and imo he has not been a guy who comes across as a dbag.

If there was an opportunity to get Trae (there won’t be) you would all be out of your mind to say no just because he drew a couple of fouls (like most do these days) and made some motions to the crowd after a game winner. If you don’t think he fits in from a defensive standpoint which is surely possible given it’s clearly his weakness, that’s different. He dominated NY in the second half though. Not really a debate to be had.

Anyway, great series this will be. Big Burks fan for a team that needs some of that scoring ability.

Last edited:
I mean he said after the game in his interview with tnt guys that people were chirping at him and swearing. If that happens and you hit a game winner... sorry I may do the same. I’ve watched a lot of Trae Young and imo he has not been a guy who comes across as a dbag.

If there was an opportunity to get Trae (there won’t be) you would all be out of your mind to say no just because he drew a couple of fouls (like most do these days) and made some motions to the crowd after a game winner. If you don’t think he fits in from a defensive standpoint which is surely possible given it’s clearly his weakness, that’s different. He dominated NY in the second half though. Not really a debate to be had.

Anyway, great series this will be. Big Burks fan for a team that needs some of that scoring ability.
The “fouls” on perimeter players leaning into people from 20 feet away on what would be absurd shot attempts is just way out of control. It’s gotta stop.

Young is exactly what we don't have and need the most. Someone who can get by people off the dribble, create contact or apparent contact and get the benefit of the doubt from the stripes.

Young is exactly what we don't have and need the most. Someone who can get by people off the dribble, create contact or apparent contact and get the benefit of the doubt from the stripes.
ding ding ding... It's no coincidence that the offense came to life when Quickley was on the court. He's nowhere near as good as Young, but he's a good as the Knicks have. Thibs is basically sacrificing a net 6 to 10 points each half by starting Payton... this will not work in the playoffs, especially in a game where you lose on the last possession.

Playoff basketball is different... the Hawks are going to scout every one of Randle's pet moves and have their players take the exact angle they need to take to either force Randle into a shot he can't hit or get rid of it. Randle needs to stop forcing shots and find the open man and of course the that open man has to actually hit the shot. This playoff series comes at the perfect time for the Knicks in terms of long term planning... going into the playoff my belief is outside of Randle and maybe RJ, there isn't a player on the team who should be considered untouchable. Based off a one game sample, I'd say even Randle and RJ are tradeable. It will be fascinating to see if those two guys can step up.

The worst thing that can happen from here on out is Randle's regular season performance doesn't translate to the playoff basketball but the Knicks give him big money anyways.

The “fouls” on perimeter players leaning into people from 20 feet away on what would be absurd shot attempts is just way out of control. It’s gotta stop.

They either need to go all in on stopping Trae or take away the other guys in full, meaning let him score, but take away the assists (and the rebounds). Instead it wasn't one or the other.

Hated the Frankie Smokes moments.

Thought not having Noel in the game on the last defensive possession was why he had such a clean look. I think it was Randle that got bumped off his rotation to make him late.

Thought the final play was abysmal. Why is Burks inbounding? Why is Taj even out there? Randle and his old man shot?

With all that said, they fought back from a tough start. I think it's going to be a long series. Series aren't won in game 1.

They either need to go all in on stopping Trae or take away the other guys in full, meaning let him score, but take away the assists (and the rebounds). Instead it wasn't one or the other.

Thought not having Noel in the game on the last defensive possession was why he had such a clean look. I think it was Randle that got bumped off his rotation to make him late.

Thought the final play was abysmal. Why is Burks inbounding? Why is Taj even out there? Randle and his old man shot?

With all that said, they fought back from a tough start. I think it's going to be a long series. Series aren't won in game 1.
I’m not a fan of a guy catching the ball with his back to the basket with 0.9 seconds left. Ideally if you’re on that side of the court you want to get it to the lefty coming to the ball so he can just easily turn into his shot.

And yeah, Burks inbounding made no sense to
me either. He was on fire. At the least, he could’ve been a great decoy and helped free someone else up, I would think?

I’m not a fan of a guy catching the ball with his back to the basket with 0.9 seconds left. Ideally if you’re on that side of the court you want to get it to the lefty coming to the ball so he can just easily turn into his shot.

And yeah, Burks inbounding made no sense to
me either. He was on fire. At the least, he could’ve been a great decoy and helped free someone else up, I would think?

Yeah, in my head, all I'm thinking is the play has to be set up for someone coming off a curl and getting ready to rise and fire, likely a three. When you throw the ball into the paint with that little time, space just gets tight really quick.

Thoughts on Frank coming in cold to guard the hottest player on the court from 30'? I mean we know elite offense beats elite defense when dealing with the best of the best. And in this situation with all of the factors, what a tough spot for the guy who had not played 1 full minute!

Thoughts on Frank coming in cold to guard the hottest player on the court from 30'? I mean we know elite offense beats elite defense when dealing with the best of the best. And in this situation with all of the factors, what a tough spot for the guy who had not played 1 full minute!

Yep, and all credit to Frankie for trying his best, but it looked like he was too amped up in both instances.

Yep, and all credit to Frankie for trying his best, but it looked like he was too amped up in both instances.
Yes, honestly I was expecting him to foul. He got handsey too. Again... Gary Payton, Tony Allen, etc... I have a hard time looking at any player in history that could be sitting all game and then do well in that spot. Granted, most players who would be in that spot are not bench guys, but that's the point. I am fine with adjusting your lineup for defense but when you know Trae is going to have the ball, it's truly an island with the guy who has not played. I absolutely hated it, honestly.

Agreed. It's amazing though how players can manipulate the game to their advantage. From a gamesmanship perspective, it's impressive. As obnoxious as it is.

Yes, honestly I was expecting him to foul. He got handsey too. Again... Gary Payton, Tony Allen, etc... I have a hard time looking at any player in history that could be sitting all game and then do well in that spot. Granted, most players who would be in that spot are not bench guys, but that's the point. I am fine with adjusting your lineup for defense but when you know Trae is going to have the ball, it's truly an island with the guy who has not played. I absolutely hated it, honestly.
Should also be noted that Rose blocked one of Young’s jumpers late. Might’ve been better off just letting him do it.

ding ding ding... It's no coincidence that the offense came to life when Quickley was on the court. He's nowhere near as good as Young, but he's a good as the Knicks have. Thibs is basically sacrificing a net 6 to 10 points each half by starting Payton... this will not work in the playoffs, especially in a game where you lose on the last possession.

Playoff basketball is different... the Hawks are going to scout every one of Randle's pet moves and have their players take the exact angle they need to take to either force Randle into a shot he can't hit or get rid of it. Randle needs to stop forcing shots and find the open man and of course the that open man has to actually hit the shot. This playoff series comes at the perfect time for the Knicks in terms of long term planning... going into the playoff my belief is outside of Randle and maybe RJ, there isn't a player on the team who should be considered untouchable. Based off a one game sample, I'd say even Randle and RJ are tradeable. It will be fascinating to see if those two guys can step up.

The worst thing that can happen from here on out is Randle's regular season performance doesn't translate to the playoff basketball but the Knicks give him big money anyways.
I agree with your concern especially the last paragraph.

With a better price than before Game 1 would it be wise to still bet the Knicks to win this series?

It looks like the Hawks are sending the Knicks leadership a message about Randle and RJ. Hopefully Rose is paying attention.

A rough first playoff experience for Julius, but he played mega-minutes as the leader who carried the Knicks to get here. Even if the Knicks lose the next two, this unexpected playoff experience helps the young players on a promising team that's a work in progress, needing a couple more players to contend for a championship.

What message are the Hawks sending? That this year's over-achieving Knicks need more talent?

God Love Julius Randle. We would not have gotten here without him. But can not be the number 1 guy on a playoff and contending team going forward. This offseason targets we need to go after Devin Booker or Damien Lillard this offseason. Disgruntled superstars who will want out.

God Love Julius Randle. We would not have gotten here without him. But can not be the number 1 guy on a playoff and contending team going forward. This offseason targets we need to go after Devin Booker or Damien Lillard this offseason. Disgruntled superstars who will want out.
Yeah, Devin Booker is a guy who has proven he can take a team deep into the playoffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom