2020 Transfer Thread | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Bertrand is an experienced left hander. UVa has Cormier and the 2 freshmen (McIntosh and Maher) as other left-handers.

If Bertrand's abilities were high enough to get him on the field, UVa could keep Cormier at the midfield and alleviate some of their midfield problem.

We got a very capable transfer at the only position where we truly needed it. I have no problem with that being the only guy we bring in if our attempts are truly over. Still pretty much the only guys I am bummed we couldn't land are Sowers, Morill, and maybe Griffin Brown. Everyone else who has been in the portal just doesn't strike me as a guaranteed game changer given the guys we already have.

Makes NO sense to me. One year of Bertrand is worth exacerbating the bottleneck on offense that will have ripple effects for years to come? I think Lars got distracted by the shiny new toy and forgot what he already had available now and in the future. This probably pushes Dickson out (apparently he was considering a return to Virginia as of a few days ago) and I would also not be shocked if he's not the only one. If I'm Shellenberger I'm not thrilled with these developments. Especially because he decommitted from Hopkins, where he would have started on attack this year and moving forward with Epstein and Williams.

Makes NO sense to me. One year of Bertrand is worth exacerbating the bottleneck on offense that will have ripple effects for years to come? I think Lars got distracted by the shiny new toy and forgot what he already had available now and in the future. This probably pushes Dickson out (apparently he was considering a return to Virginia as of a few days ago) and I would also not be shocked if he's not the only one. If I'm Shellenberger I'm not thrilled with these developments. Especially because he decommitted from Hopkins, where he would have started on attack this year and moving forward with Epstein and Williams.

I respectfully disagree r.e. bottleneck on offense. Syracuse is loaded with middies but our attack unit is at best #4 in the ACC bc we don't have an alpha at attackmen. Scanlan is a great finisher and Rehfuss is a great distributor but uneven at best and while I'm a big fan of Cook just haven't seen what we expected to see over the past two seasons. Obviously I'll discount his freshman year given he was running at middie but last year he never became the threat we expected outside of his incredible riding capabilities. I know everyone, myself included, is super excited about Hiltz and Birtwistle but both are unproven at the Division 1 level. Why not take a 1-yr flyer on someone like Bertrand (no longer available) or Sundown to give Hiltz/Birtwistle a year to season, just my opinion but the attack unit could use a 1-yr short term upgrade given the firepower going to other schools.

I respectfully disagree r.e. bottleneck on offense. Syracuse is loaded with middies but our attack unit is at best #4 in the ACC bc we don't have an alpha at attackmen. Scanlan is a great finisher and Rehfuss is a great distributor but uneven at best and while I'm a big fan of Cook just haven't seen what we expected to see over the past two seasons. Obviously I'll discount his freshman year given he was running at middie but last year he never became the threat we expected outside of his incredible riding capabilities. I know everyone, myself included, is super excited about Hiltz and Birtwistle but both are unproven at the Division 1 level. Why not take a 1-yr flyer on someone like Bertrand (no longer available) or Sundown to give Hiltz/Birtwistle a year to season, just my opinion but the attack unit could use a 1-yr short term upgrade given the firepower going to other schools.

I was talking about Virginia. Bertrand would have fit in fine at Syracuse. But I don't think he makes sense for the Cavs. I think the potential benefit they may or may not see in 2021 with him on their roster is outweighed by the longterm roster ramifications.

I was talking about Virginia. Bertrand would have fit in fine at Syracuse. But I don't think he makes sense for the Cavs. I think the potential benefit they may or may not see in 2021 with him on their roster is outweighed by the longterm roster ramifications.

my bad apologies and i couldn't agree more he doesn't fit in at UVA due to the talent bottleneck

We got a very capable transfer at the only position where we truly needed it. I have no problem with that being the only guy we bring in if our attempts are truly over. Still pretty much the only guys I am bummed we couldn't land are Sowers, Morill, and maybe Griffin Brown. Everyone else who has been in the portal just doesn't strike me as a guaranteed game changer given the guys we already have.

It will be interesting to see where Wykoff ends up playing. I would like for SU to bring in a defensemen that would let Kennedy move back to LSM, but given the talent out there it doesn't seem like that player exists. Best fit would be Rapine, but again he has a lot of question marks. Syracuse has a lot of options here, but no sure things and the number of really good attackmen they will face is pretty daunting. I can't see Wykoff replacing Kennedy at this point, I think he's most likely a LSM or secondary defender (still starting, but unsure where that leaves Murphy/DiPietro).

I also wouldn't mind some more offense, but like Jeremey points out its hard to recruit to the second line midfield. The only thing that might work in SU's favor is that a lot of other teams won't have many openings either. Sundown would be an exciting addition, but, given the names available, I wouldn't risk keeping Hiltz off the field for anyone, as it will already be hard enough given the fact SU is returning all their starters.

PSU having a good week, moving on from Ament departing and Sowers choosing Duke .Costin a local, very good frosh mf with four years of eligibility and PSU picked up two highly ranked 21 JHU decommits. Would think they would seek some defensive help with Wright likely headied to MLL. Won't be surprised to see Rapine or Fedorjaka land there

PSU having a good week, moving on from Ament departing and Sowers choosing Duke .Costin a local, very good frosh mf with four years of eligibility and PSU picked up two highly ranked 21 JHU decommits. Would think they would seek some defensive help with Wright likely headied to MLL. Won't be surprised to see Rapine or Fedorjaka land there

The ability to offer in-state tuition is a great thing. If I was Desko or Wildhack, I'd be screaming at the NCAA to find a way to level the value of scholarships and tuition. SU's at a real disadvantage in this regard.

UVA, PSU, Maryland, UMASS, Towson, UNC, etc. can all offer in-state recruits low tuition. Duke, JHU, UND, the Ivies, all heavily discount tuition on the basis of need. Syracuse is one of the few schools stuck in tuition purgatory.

The ability to offer in-state tuition is a great thing. If I was Desko or Wildhack, I'd be screaming at the NCAA to find a way to level the value of scholarships and tuition. SU's at a real disadvantage in this regard.

UVA, PSU, Maryland, UMASS, Towson, UNC, etc. can all offer in-state recruits low tuition. Duke, JHU, UND, the Ivies, all heavily discount tuition on the basis of need. Syracuse is one of the few schools stuck in tuition purgatory.

You should see what UAlbany charges in-state residents.

It's too bad ESF students can't participate on SU teams. I assume their tuition is a lot lower because it is NYS-affiliated. Cornell has several NYS-affiliated colleges, such as Agriculture & Life Sciences, and they can participate on Cornell teams while paying lower NYS tuition rates. I wonder if there is any way for SU to change that relationship to the Cornell setup.

LOL exactly. SU's tuition will also be somewhat of a hinderance especially for roll type players. That being said, UVA, Duke, ND, Yale and others aren't exactly free.

LOL exactly. SU's tuition will also be somewhat of a hinderance especially for roll type players. That being said, UVA, Duke, ND, Yale and others aren't exactly free.

Princeton, for example, has free tuition for students whose parents make less than $120k per, and then there is a sliding scale beyond that. For a kid like Sowers, whose parents are both teachers in PA, i bet they are pretty close to that threshold. Even if his tuition came to $20k, if he get a 1/2 scholly, $10k per year for Princeton is a pretty sweet deal.

I get that pretty much all of those schools have tougher admissions standards then SU so there is a bit of a trade off.

Oh, I'm aware (I live about 5 minutes from campus and will probably be fishing there on Saturday :)). Makes you wonder why Stony Brook isnt more of a player, given they are located in the most fertile recruiting ground in the Country. NY's lack of a true flagship probably hurts all three of Bingo, Albany, and SB.

The coach said they’ve heard Teat might not be returning to Cornell and it was worth a shot.

The coach said they’ve heard Teat might not be returning to Cornell and it was worth a shot.

Curious if this means Rapine is done with college lacrosse.

Dont think so. He submitted his name into the portal for college teams. Think his draft pick reflects more on his ability to compete in that league than anything else. Cuse may have inquired early but been one of many. Rapine is established , he will play somewhere.

Dont think so. He submitted his name into the portal for college teams. Think his draft pick reflects more on his ability to compete in that league than anything else. Cuse may have inquired early but been one of many. Rapine is established , he will play somewhere.

Right, but PLL made it clear that if you went back to college this year, a team that drafted you this year would not retain your rights, so it would be a wasted pick. Maybe a team decided he was worth the risk since his status is up in the air? His teammate Hubler was also picked and believe he also entered his name in the portal. Strange process overall as only two players committed to playing in PLL before the draft.

Right, but PLL made it clear that if you went back to college this year, a team that drafted you this year would not retain your rights, so it would be a wasted pick. Maybe a team decided he was worth the risk since his status is up in the air? His teammate Hubler was also picked and believe he also entered his name in the portal. Strange process overall as only two players committed to playing in PLL before the draft.

Yep.Unusual year. Some players would never have been drafted by MLL and PLL in other years but were high draft picks because they signaled they were ready to move on backed by knowledge that they had limited options. That is why I labeled these drafts farcial. Next year will be loaded with available 5 year talent that no longer have the option of returning to college

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom