2020 Transfer Thread | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Ha ha
No matter how you spell it, I agree with you - the drafts were wonky. If there had been clear rules and timing around declaring, transfer portal etc. it might have been better but everyone was trying to figure it out on the fly and doing the best they could. Delaying the drafts for a few more weeks would probably have made more sense given pro seasons pushed out.

The ability to offer in-state tuition is a great thing. If I was Desko or Wildhack, I'd be screaming at the NCAA to find a way to level the value of scholarships and tuition. SU's at a real disadvantage in this regard.

UVA, PSU, Maryland, UMASS, Towson, UNC, etc. can all offer in-state recruits low tuition. Duke, JHU, UND, the Ivies, all heavily discount tuition on the basis of need. Syracuse is one of the few schools stuck in tuition purgatory.
UVa has 6 Virginians on the roster, the most noteworthy are Shellenberger, Lamb (SSDM), and Brugel (FOGO). Two are from C'ville and the other four are from the DC suburbs. That said, there have been allegations in the past (mostly from JHU fans) that UVa is playing fast and loose with the definition of in-state for non-rev athletes.

UVa has 6 Virginians on the roster, the most noteworthy are Shellenberger, Lamb (SSDM), and Brugel (FOGO). Two are from C'ville and the other four are from the DC suburbs. That said, there have been allegations in the past (mostly from JHU fans) that UVa is playing fast and loose with the definition of in-state for non-rev athletes.

It has always seemed a little curious to me that UVa doesn't dominate Northern Virginia more. I know Starsia had a few fall ball scrimmages up in NOVA near the end of his reign.

It has always seemed a little curious to me that UVa doesn't dominate Northern Virginia more. I know Starsia had a few fall ball scrimmages up in NOVA near the end of his reign.
Agree. UVA is academic bargain at just 17k in state. Location wise, U of Maryland is about hour and half closer , likely factored into Brown transfer who hails from Arlington, Va. . Also believe Maryland has another three on roster from that general VA vicinity. Their tuition is 35k for out of state

Recruiting philosophy has always been an absolute mystery to me. Fortunately, it seems like our football and lacrosse coaches are giving more attention to the DC area.

Recruiting philosophy has always been an absolute mystery to me. Fortunately, it seems like our football and lacrosse coaches are giving more attention to the DC area.
I see UVa does have a top guy, #25 recruit Ben Wayer from SSSA in NoVa, coming in this Fall, but no one from NoVa or DC in the 2021 class.
I guess one of the weaknesses of Tiffany is that he is more of a Northern guy, and it might take him a while to tap into the DC area.
The resumption of the UMd-UVa match-ups could be a help there. With decent weather you can get a large crowd in Byrd for a UMd-UVa game, a lot of the crowd being high school kids.

Yep.Unusual year. Some players would never have been drafted by MLL and PLL in other years but were high draft picks because they signaled they were ready to move on backed by knowledge that they had limited options. That is why I labeled these drafts farcial. Next year will be loaded with available 5 year talent that no longer have the option of returning to college
I believe we are all denying the impact of the virus on individuals and sports themselves. Are the MLL and PLL going to play at all? Are colleges less likely to allow intercollegiate sports than in other years. The virus has enormous impact on everyone, psychologically, physically, economically. New York downstate is the center of destruction. Upstate is not as effected, but must be a consideration for some recruits and transfers. Insecurity, anxiety, and fear all can lead to impulsive decision making and action. No one, not one expert, not one politician can predict where or when or to what degree this virus will strike. It is a brutal insidious disease. Viruses can lay low, mutate, hide in cells and then explode with even greater force after months of declining infections. The number of transfers if it is higher than usual seems to me a picture of jittery at times poorly reasoned almost desperate behavior. Not everyone certainly, but some seem inexplicable.

If I were coaching, I would concentrate on planning for a truncated season and especially for the following season, 2022. For example, how does the addition of a 5th year transfer make sense when there may be no season at all?

Sholokov2, That was spoken well as always. Stay safe friend

Rodin, Auguste: The Thinker

If I were coaching, I would concentrate on planning for a truncated season and especially for the following season, 2022. For example, how does the addition of a 5th year transfer make sense when there may be no season at all?

If there is no season in 2021and we are talking 2022 there will be much bigger issues than lacrosse rosters.

2014 Graduates HS
2015 Injured at Roger Morris
2016 Injured at Roger Morris
2017 played 16 games at Roger Morris
2018 played 18 games at Roger Morris (61 points)
2019 played 6 games at Utah (21 Points)
2020 intends to play to Roger Morris

Legend

I think that speaks to the lack of interest he probably found from other coaches/programs.

Yeah, if this is the case I am wondering how much more of this we will see. Seems like there was a steady stream of commitments once Sowers decided on Duke, but this week, end of last has been pretty quiet. Curious what the hold up is?

Still a good amount of talent out there, including Sundown, Skidders, Adler, McCarthy, Nick Hapney, Yorke, Justin Scott, Petkevich, Phil Robertson, Kirson, Xander Dickson, Szuluk, Stopak, etc. Not to mention the Syracuse guys still in the portal.

According to Adler's brother, he is Duke bound. Would give the Blue Devils quite a haul in the transfer market.

At some point something has to give there. There is only so much scholarship $ and PT available. Ridiculous

Yup. Over on fanlax someone is saying that the older Robertson brother from Princeton is also transferring to Duke. His brother plays there and he'd be joining former teammate Sowers, but, they were already going to struggle to get everyone on the field as is. Ridiculous seems like an understatement.

Yup. Over on fanlax someone is saying that the older Robertson brother from Princeton is also transferring to Duke. His brother plays there and he'd be joining former teammate Sowers, but, they were already going to struggle to get everyone on the field as is. Ridiculous seems like an understatement.

Maybe not this year but next summer there is going to be an exodus, no way to get PT to all these guys as Danowski likes to only really play a core group like our own JB. No way can all of these guys get on the field.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom